The Complete Project Research Material is averagely 59 pages long and is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters. Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References Level : BTech/BSc/BA/HND/ND.
Get the complete project »
This study examined the corporate governance and its impact on the performance of an organization (a case of MTN Mobile Communication Nigeria Limited Kaduna main branch. Research questions guided the study. A survey method was used for this study. The population consisted of all the management staff of MTN Mobile Communication Plc Kaduna with a total population of twenty five (25) persons. The entire 25 person were selected for the study. A questionnaire developed by the researcher based on liker 5 point scale was used for the study. Mean scores and frequencies were used to analyze the data based on the research questions. Research results shows that internal and external mechanism of corporate governance are used to regulate the performance of MTN. The control mechanism put in place by MTN include internal and external auditing as well as board of director monitoring and balance of power. The systemic problems militating against corporate governance include high cost of monitoring, inadequate supply of accounting information to shareholders.
1.1 Background of the Study
Corporate Governance is a number of process, customers, policies, laws and institutions which impacts on the way a company is controlled. An important theme of corporate governance is the nature and extent of accountability of people in the business and mechanisms that try to decrease the principal agent problem (Wikipedia, 2011).
Corporate Governance also includes the relationships among the many stakeholders involved and the goals for which the corporation is governed. In contemporary business corporations, the main external stakeholder groups are shareholders, debt holders, trade creditors, suppliers, customer and communities affected by the corporation’s activities. Informal stakeholders are the board of directors, executives and other employees. It guarantees that an enterprise is directed and controlled in a responsible, professional, and transparent manner with the purpose of safeguarding its long-tem success it is intended to increase the confidence of shareholders and capital market investors.
The World Bank (2009) states that corporate governance comprises two mechanisms, internal and external corporate governance. Internal corporate governance, giving priority to shareholder’s interest, operated on the board of directors to monitor top management. On the other hand, external corporate governance monitors and controls manager’s behaviors by means of external regulations and force, in which many parties, such as suppliers, debtors (stakeholders), accountants, lawyers, and providers of credit and investment bank.
In the past, so many corporate organizations have been caught of getting involved in unethical practices, for example the discovery of financial scam by the Central Bank of Nigeria after the consolidation exercise, involving seven top bank executives in Nigeria, which puts the credibility of their corporate image under suspicion, which further shocking investors confidence. Consequently, corporate governance mechanism has been a crucial issue discussed again.
It is against this background that the researcher see the subject matter; corporate governance and its impact on the management of MTN Mobile Communication Limited, Kaduna main branch as an issue worthy of being investigated.
1.2 Statement of Problem
In the past, so many organizations in Nigeria have been involved in unethical practices, which puts the credibility of their corporate image doubt. As such MTN Mobile Communications just like other telecommunication company have been constraint with issues arising form customer’s complaint of high tariffs, exploitations of workers by using contract staff as against direct engagement of workers that would be remunerated according to their condition of service. Previous researches into the subject has brought to light the poor governance of so many companies with indebted accounts in Nigeria economy. Their accounting systems did not reflect the companies financial status. A typical example is the financial scam of Oceanic and Intercontinental Bank after the consolidation. Most management of such outfits were not accountable to stakeholders of the companies. Besides, the counts and the regulatory agencies were short of authority, corruption and kickbacks were part of the system in the companies. The poor governance practices led to the collapse of so many companies in Nigeria. Hence the need to study corporate governance and its impact on the management of MTN Mobile Communication Kaduna main branch.
1.3 Objective of the Study
The main objective of the study is to examine the corporate governance and its impact on the performance of an organization. The specific objectives are:
i) To examine the effect of corporate governance on the performance of MTN.
ii) To examine the internal and external corporate governance control mechanism in MTN.
iii) To identify the systemic problems of corporate governance in MTN.
iv) To proffer workable solutions to the identified problem of corporate governance in MTN.
1.4 Significance of the Study
The study will be significant to MTN Mobile Communication especially as they utilize the findings of this research in enhancing policy governance in their organization. The study will also add to the existing knowledge on the subject matter and will also be a reference material for further research on corporate governance.
1.5 Research Questions
The central research question is: What is the impact of corporate governance on the management of MTN Mobile Communication? The specific questions are:
i) How does corporate governance affect the performance of MTN?
ii) What are the internal and external corporate governance control mechanism in place in MTN?
iii) What are the systemic problems militating against corporate governance in MTN?
iv) What are the solutions to such problems?
1.6 Scope of the Study
The study covers the examination of the impact of corporate governance on an organization using MTN Mobile Communication as a case study. The collection of empirical data is limited to MTN Mobile Communication Kaduna main office. The study covers a time from 2006 – 2011.
1.7 Definition of Terms
Corporate Governance: This is relationship that exists between the different participants, and defining the direction of the firm.
Corporation: This refers to corporate entity or a body by means of which capital is acquired, used for investing in assets producing goods and services.
Shareholders: People who have invested in a company through subscribing to the company’s stock.
Board Structure: Management at the top comprising of board of directors.
Ownership Structure: Shareholders and directors.
CEO: Acronym for Chief Executive Officer.
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BUSINESS MANAGEMENT FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE EFFECT OF MATERIAL MANAGEMENT TECHNIQUES ON PRODUCTION PLANNING PROCESSES (A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIAN BOTTLING COMPANY)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Material Management is an integrated management approach to the planning, purchasing, warehousing...Continue Reading »
64 pages | 84 hits | Source: BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
2. THE IMPACT OF SOCIO- ECONOMIC CHARACTERISTICS ON LOAN REPAYMENT, AMONG COOPERATIVE ENTERPRISES IN OSHIMILI SOUTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF DELTA STATE» ABSTRACT This research study adopted an econometric analysis on The Impact of Socio Economic Characteristics On Loan Repayment Among Cooperative Enter...Continue Reading »
74 pages | 50 hits | Source: BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Total quality management practice is a firm wide management philosophy of continuously improving ...Continue Reading »
69 pages | 179 hits | Source: BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
4. THE IMPACT OF MATERIAL REQUIREMENT PLANNING IN MANUFACTURING INDUSTRY (A Case Study of Peugeot Automobile Nigeria Plc, Kakuri Branch Kaduna)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Production is the transformation of one set of resources into a second set. In order to describe ...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 89 hits | Source: BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
5. FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT AS A TOOL FOR COOPERATIVE DEVELOPMENT IN AKWA IBOM STATE (A CASE STUDY OF SELECTED COOPERATIVE ORGANIZATION IN UYO)» ABSTRACT The thrift cooperative societies major functions are formation of funds from members which are used as a source of capital for other types of...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 136 hits | Source: BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
6. EFFECT OF TOTAL QUALITY MANAGEMENT (TQM) ON PERFORMANCE IN MANUFACTURING INDUSTRY (A CASE STUDY, CHAMPION BREWERIES PLC, UYO, AKWA IBOM STATE)» ABSTRACT Quality is an important concern for management for three basic reasons: competition, productivity and costs. Once an organization makes a dec...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 149 hits | Source: BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
7. ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND ECONOMIC GROWTH IN AKWA IBOM STATE; A CASE STUDY OF UYO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA.» ABSTRACT Inspite of the small and medium scale emprises contribution: to national economy growth. Nigeria as well as Akwa Ibom is still clouded with s...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 111 hits | Source: BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
8. EFFECT OF TALENT MANAGEMENT ON ORGANISATIONAL PERFORMANCE (A CASE STUDY OF NESTLE NIGERIA LIMITED)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study The ultimate goal of every business organization is to increase the sale of goods and service tha...Continue Reading »
79 pages | 190 hits | Source: BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
9. PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL AS A MANAGERIAL TOOL FOR EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE (A STUDY OF UNIVERSITY OF UYO)» ABSTRACT This research was on Performance Appraisal as a Managerial Tool for Employee Performance (A study of University of Uyo, Uyo). The objectives ...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 52 hits | Source: BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
10. EFFECT OF INDUSTRIAL TRAINING SCHEME ON THE TRAINING OF OFFICE MANAGERS IN SELECTED TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS IN SOUTH EAST ZONE OF NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Industrial Training is the training given to the students in tertiary institution in order to kno...Continue Reading »
79 pages | 192 hits | Source: BUSINESS MANAGEMENT