Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 46 pages long and it is in MS Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Questionnaire, Data Analysis,Abstract.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
From the secondary school age, the adolescents are often faced with the problems of choosing subjects that are suitable and relevant for the attainment of a dream career. This process of choice making leads the adolescent to select one form of subject or the other in which he/she is best suited.
According to Okeke (1993) in pre-colonial Nigeria, the acquisition of skills did not require more specialized assistant because it was used informally at home, in families, in village squares and at moon light games. These purposes were clearly understood by the citizens who imparted the skills such as practical transmission of local customs, moral, religious and social values.
Furthermore, it was a situation in which young people suddenly learnt their father’s profession. Therefore, if the father was a blacksmith, what this means is that abilities, interest and occupational needs of the pre-colonial society and other variable factors were not considered before choosing occupation by children.
It has also been observed that in a simple society, choice of career of subjects relating to such career does not require specialized assistance. In such situation, parents or even peer group could be of influence in some society; there has been little or no knowledge of what goes on in schools. It becomes pertinent that the schools should have valuable assistance in this direction. Students who pass their secondary final examination could always secure employment. This secondary school certificate serves as visa for employment and for admission into higher institutions.
In modern age, the quest for knowledge and excellence has made the society more complex and as a result creates the problems of career choice among youths just coming out from secondary schools. Often, the adolescent students choose subjects for which they have no interest or ability on and the effect is always failure on the part of the students and in some cases, frustration which eventually leads to drop out with thus choosing a suitable and interesting subjects becomes every developing adolescent’s problem which he or she must in one time or the other face in life time. This eventually becomes not just the individual student’s problem but societal and government responsibility.
Most importantly, the choice of subject is very crucial in the lives of students as it may affect every aspect of their lives. It is so because it determines the student’s career lives. A right choice in subject making will always afford the students the opportunity to actualize potentials in their chosen future career.
Jauyeola (1997) opined that our young ones need constant guidance in choice of subject. This is because it is common find students choosing subjects for which they have little or no aptitude or interest only to end frustration in the long run.
STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
Owing to the fact that a country’s development lies on the youths of the country which the next generation and engine to growth , therefore, this study intends to examine the specific factors or issues that serve as a barrier to choice of school subjects by senior secondary school students.
PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
This research work was carried out to examine the factors influencing choice of school subjects by senior secondary school students in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo state as its main objectives with others are:
It is aimed at bringing light to various factors influencing choice of school subjects by senior secondary school students. This study will also determine the relative influence of each factor that affects student’s choice in their secondary schools. Finally, the researcher intends to discover how students combine choice of subject in line with their future career.
The following are the research questions for this study:
- Does the counselling services provided by teachers to student’s choice of subject?
- Does peer group influence affect students’ choice of subject?
- Does the socio-economic background of students affect the choice of school subjects?
- Does government regulation affect students’ choice of subject?
- Does ineffectiveness of senior secondary school teachers reflect on choice of subject made by students?
- Does student’s academic performance and appropriate reading manner affect their choice of subject?
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
Most parents are ill-informed about the opportunities opened to their children. There is also lack of awareness of what should be the factors to consider before choosing subjects among students themselves. There is also the conflicting value of students at times when they are faced with the problems of making the right choice.
This study will help students understand themselves, become more effective, be more productive and appear being. Also, the study intend to reinforce the need for training and updating school counsellors who will be of help to the interpretation of students’ test result to place them where they are needed. This study is also aimed at reducing social vices of our young people. many students have drop out of schools due to their inability to recognize their potentials. This study will put them into normal human track and make him sensitive to societal norms/values.
Therefore, the overall significance of this study is to reveal the career aspiration of students and on the promise that it will help career guidance experts in assisting tomorrow’s leaders, making a social decision as regards to their school subject which will save these you8ng people from future failure and frustrations which make them productive and equip them with the prerequisite knowledge for future learning.
SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF STUDY
The geographical nature of Edo state and with the large number of senior secondary schools, this research therefore is limited to Oredo Local Government Area only.
This study is to examine the factors influencing choice of school subjects by senior secondary school students. It is aimed at identifying the factors responsible for students in senior secondary schools so that they can have a brighter future.
Other limitations include inability and insufficient time to make a research for this nature or standard more comprehensive, the huge financial implication preventing the researcher from sampling all the senior secondary schools in Oredo Local Government Area.
DEFINITION OF TERMS
Choice: the willingness to select among other options.
Manner: the way something is done or happens.
Significance: something that is large or important enough to have an effect.
Subject: an area of knowledge that one studies in school or university.
Counsellor: one who has been trained to advice students with problems or pressing issues.
Influence: the factors that affect human decisions making.
Factors: they are reasons behind certain happenings or why certain things happen.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR GUIDANCE COUNSELING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. DEMOGRAPHIC VARIABLES AS PREDICTORS OF EFFECTIVE SECONDARY SCHOOL SUPERVISORY PRACTICES IN NORTH CENTRAL STATES OF NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background to the Study School systems worldwide are faced with the challenge of how to improve teaching and learning outcome...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Statement of Problem The Eucharist, in the words of Erickson (1985; 1108), is a rite which Christ Himself established for...Continue Reading »
3. DETERMINANTS OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AMONG MARRIAGE S IN OGUN STATE-A CASE STUDY OF ABEOKUTA SOUTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA» ABSTRACT This study was carried out to evaluate the determinants of domestic violence in marriages of Ogun State using Abeokuta South Local Government...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 GENERAL INTRODUCTION In every human society, the relationship between the man and the woman cannot be over emphasized. Th...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Ambulance dispatch system (ADS). This is a software that is needed to help ensure that the ambulance dispatching company meets all federal ma...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This research study centered on the role of guidance and counselling in tertiary institutions across Nigeria. Four states were surveyed and t...Continue Reading »
7. MANAGEMENT STRATEGIES OF CONFLICT BETWEEN ACADEMIC AND NON-ACADEMIC STAFF OF FEDERAL UNIVERSITIES IN SOUTH EAST, NIGERIA (ROLE OF COUNSELLORS)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the Study Conflicts are inevitable in any organization. This is more so in an organization as a university with...Continue Reading »
8. THE IMPACT OF GUIDANCE AND COUNSELING SERVICES ON ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN GWAGWALADA AREA» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY The roles of guidance and counseling have increased overtime in most secondary schools in Nigeria...Continue Reading »
9. EFFECT OF COGNITIVE RESTRUCTURING AND SHAPING TECHNIQUES IN HANDLING LATENESS TO SCHOOL AMONG SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS» ABSTRACT The study was on the effect of cognitive restructuring and shaping techniques in reducing lateness among secondary school students. The study...Continue Reading »
10. SUICIDAL BEHAVIOURS AND INTERVENTION STRATEGIESFOR IN-SCHOOL ADOLESCENTS IN ENUGU STATE, NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE Introduction Background to the Study The occurrence of suicidal behaviours across the world is one of the worst public health challenges c...Continue Reading »