Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 90 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1 - 5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Questionnaire, Data Analysis, Abstract.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Mental health is a health issue that is in circulation, specifically among Nigerian youths. The information on the abnormal behavior has been given as one of the biggest issues facing every country, of which Nigeria and the young people are not an exception of both the challenges and the risks. It has been reported that the issue of mental health are now common in youths, with an estimate of one in five facing some form of emotional disorder. Previous research works showed that 50% of all lifelong mental health problems start from the age 14 and 75% by age 24. Irrespective of the development evidence of the need of mental health to make sure economic, social and human capital, negative perceptions proceed to be linked with mental health disorders and the related mental health services and professionals. In our society, we see the mentally disordered people as the people that cannot be employed by any organization, as people who cannot maintain any job, depend on themselves and as those who have no hope of survival. This is a misconception, and it can have influence on individuals living with the disorders which can result in poor follow-up care and recovery, and further worsens the stigma and discrimination. It has been proven that medical forecast of doctor’s judgment for mental health disorders can enhance through early detection and treatment. Resolving the problem of discrimination and stigma needs to occur both formally and informally, especially among children and young adults, some of whom will one day require making use of such services. Okeke opined that orienting or informing young people in and out of secondary schools about mental health disorders and ways to prevent it, not only affects their understanding of mental health but that their family, friends and neighbors. Furthermore, schemes introduced for the purpose of increasing young people’s knowledge of mental health through contact and education have given positive outcomes in minimizing negative attitudes towards people with such challenges. Previous studies showed that unfair feelings about mental health disorders or its victims was majorly because of ignorance, and that people who are well informed about such disorders are less likely to endorse negative attitude. Another study also showed that members of the public who have contact with a victim of mental disorder are less likely to endorse stigmatizing attitudes. For this reason, education is a powerful tool for growing and solidifying knowledge and minimizing unwanted or displeasing attitudes towards mental health disorders and the victims. Research on youth perceptions of mental health disorders show positive changes after exposure to educational programs. Studies on awareness and education about mental health disorders in teenagers showed that there is a significant reduction of stigma after gaining new information about such conditions. Another study on changing attitude of high school students towards peer with mental health disorders showed positive changes in their attitudes, and also that discrimination and the tendency towards social restriction were minimized six months after an attitudinal change program was introduced. Also, short educational workshops gave rise to a positive change in youths perceptions of mental health disorders. For this reason, there is an inadequacy of research in some regions of Nigeria considering creating awareness and attitudes of youths towards mental health disorders. This study aims to find out the impact mental health challenge has on youth development in Nigeria.
STATEMENT OF THE GENERAL PROBLEM
The poor development of the Nigerian youth physically, educationally, socially and mentally has been a source of concern for the nation considering the fact that these youths are the leaders of tomorrow. The mental state of most youths has precipitated to poor educational development and has also been muted to be the fundamental challenge to youth development and advancement in all areas of life. The major implication of the problem on the Nigerian youth is propensity of making disastrous decisions as a result of poor mental health which would naturally making counseling efforts by guardian and teachers futile.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The major objectives of the study are to examine mental health as a challenge to youth development and its implications on counseling. Other specific objectives of the study include;
- To examine the state of mental health of youths.
- To determine the importance of youth development on nation building.
- To assess the benefit of counseling to youth development.
- To examine the factors affecting mental health of youths in Nigeria.
- To determine the impact of mental health on youth development and counseling.
- What is the state of mental health of youths?
- What is the importance of youth development on nation building?
- What are the benefits of counseling to youth development?
- What are the factors affecting mental health of youths in Nigeria?
- What is the impact of mental health on youth development and counseling?
H0: Mental health does not have a significant impact on youth development and counseling.
H1: Mental health has a significant impact on youth development and counseling.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The study would be of immense benefit to educational sector, the Nigerian public and the general public as it attempts to unravel the impact of mental health on youth development and counseling. The study would also benefit students, researchers and scholars who are interested in developing further study on the subject matter.
SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The study is restricted to mental health as a challenge to youth development and its implication on counseling using ….. as a case study.
LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
Financial constraint- Insufficient fund tends to impede the efficiency of the researcher in sourcing for the relevant materials, literature or information and in the process of data collection (internet, questionnaire and interview).
Time constraint- The researcher will simultaneously engage in this study with other academic work. This consequently will cut down on the time devoted for the research work.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR GUIDANCE COUNSELING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. APPRAISAL OF PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT PRACTICES OF SECONDARY EDUCATION MANAGEMENT BOARDS IN SOUTH EAST NIGERIA: A CASE STUDY OF ABIA STATE SECONDARY EDUCA...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the Study Personnel management is one of the most important and challenging functions of any organization becau...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Nearly every society since the dawn of history has looked on youth crime as a serious problem and...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This survey research conducted to find out the effect of broken homes on primary school pupils academic achievement in Jere Local Government ...Continue Reading »
4. INFLUENCE OF TELEVISED AGGRESSION AND PORNOGRAPHY ON THE SOCIAL ADJUSTMENT OF ADOLESCENTS IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS» ABSTRACTThis study investigated the influence of televised aggression and pornography on adolescents in secondary schools in Agege Local Government Ar...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONEINTRODUCTION1.0 INTRODUCTION As the marriage in Islam is contract between two parties it is clear that it shall continue only so long as th...Continue Reading »
6. THE IMPACT OF GUIDANCE AND COUNSELING SERVICES ON STUDENTS ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE AND CAREER CHOICE IN SELECTED SECONDARY SCHOOLS» ABSTRACT The research was undertaken to justify the effectiveness or otherwise of counseling services in sokoto metropolis, the research method used i...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Back ground of the study The prevalence of disabilities in developing countries seems to be higher than it is in the deve...Continue Reading »
8. SUPERVISORY COMPETENCIES REQUIRED AND POSSESSED BY SECONDARY SCHOOL PRINCIPALS IN NORTH CENTRAL STATES, NIGERIA.» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the Study Education is recognized as a potent instrument for social and economic development of individuals and...Continue Reading »
9. PARENT’S SOCIO-DEMOGRAPHIC FACTORS AS DETERMINANTS OF CAREER CHOICE CONFLICT AMONG SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN ABUJA (FCT)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the Study In our society today, students face a complex and rapidly changing society. It has been reported that...Continue Reading »
» Abstract The research was undertaken to justify the effectiveness or otherwise of counseling services in sokoto metropolis, the research method used i...Continue Reading »