Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This project work was carried out in order to examine the effect of truancy on the academic performance of students in Ondo West Local Government Area of Ondo State in particular, it is intended to find out the causes of truancy and its effect on students academic performance to be able to make an efficient solution to the problem of truancy. In the course of writing this project, I started with the literature review which borders on the work done by different scholars on the topic the effect of truancy on the academic performance of students in furtherance of the successful completion of this project
Background of the study
Giedugba (1996) observed that quite a number of students in institutions of learning are truants. They become truant in order to engage in activities which are neither under the control of the home nor of the school to defend himself or herself. The truant decoys his parents and teachers and frequent truancy may lead to vagrancy. Truancy is more a proof of the inadequacy of our present educational system than an evidence of any propensity to crime. It is a system, which attaches little importance to individuality. The ways in which children exhibit their truancy are many. An example can be cited in Ondo West Local Government Area of Ondo State where students usually go to the bust to search for snails, killing rabbits and collecting fruits, going to hidden places to play, wondering about in the streets without any purpose. Some finds their ways to the rivers to swim while others engage in petty jobs to get money for buying snacks, minerals, ice cream etc. some even engage in secrete love that always makes them to leave the school premises. There are some students who cannot bear or remain in the corrective atmosphere at home or in the school such students will have to explore other places to relax and satisfy their curiosity. Obviously, such students will truant in the school. A truant can also be described as the person that stays away from school without good reasons. He or she is irregular at school attendance for he finds other places more attractive than that school and all it stand for. Truancy is one of the offences which students in institutions of learning commit. From research work carried out by Bozumah (2002) it was discovered that truancy is of varying degree in institutions of learning and it is comparatively greater in the secondary schools than the high institutions of learning.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Truancy poses a serious threat to learning in most schools, the school on the other hand do not seem to be able to cope with the problems, because no meaningful attempt has been made to reach its root. One thing that is clear in this issue that there is a growing tendency for school children to be involved in social vices, such as stealing, smoking, rioting among other. This is because most home no longer play their traditional function to rear and bring up the child in an upright manner. This is because many parents are so preoccupied with duties (working and travelling) outside the homes that they have little or no time to keep watch over the action and behaviour of their children. In most of the schools, there is no conducive atmosphere for learning. This is due to fact that schools are highly populated, poorly equipped and understaffed. Since students cannot cope with their unfavourable conditions, which these school are placed, this eventually leads to truancy and other social vices found in our society today. Broken home can also be attributed to a cause of truancy because children from a single parent child will have the mothers house and say he or she is going to the father house thereby using the opportunity to go and stay in her boyfriend house, for the boys they join bad peer group without the mother and father knowing, because either of the parent would think he is in the other parent house and vise visa.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The purpose of the study is to examine;
i. The effects of truancy on students’ academic performance in secondary schools.
ii. The role parents, schools, society or community can play to prevents truancy among students in secondary schools
iii. To suggest means and methods that could be adopted to eradicate this evil practices in secondary schools.
1.4 RESEARCH HYPOTHESES
For the successful completion of the study, the following research hypotheses were formulated by the researcher;
H0: There are no effects of truancy on students’ academic performance in secondary schools
H1: There are effects of truancy on students’ academic performance in secondary schools
H02: There are no role parents, schools, society or community can play to prevents truancy among students in secondary schools
H2: There are role parents, schools, society or community can play to prevents truancy among students in secondary schools
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The study will be of great benefit to parents in Ondo West Local Government Area who will come to appreciate the implication of children’s truancy in secondary school. Also it is hoped that this study will also help the secondary school administration in Ondo West Local Government Area in Ondo State to reap the various school students and enhance the image of their schools lastly, it is expected to help the local government authorities to recognize truancy among secondary school students.
1.6 SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This study is expected to cover only secondary schools, the investigation is limited to the phenomenon of the study of truancy among secondary schools academic performance of students in some selected secondary schools in Ondo West Local Government Area of Ondo State. The researcher encounters some constrain which limited the scope of the study;
a) AVAILABILITY OF RESEARCH MATERIAL: The research material available to the researcher is insufficient, thereby limiting the study
b) TIME: The time frame allocated to the study does not enhance wider coverage as the researcher has to combine other academic activities and examinations with the study.
c) Organizational privacy: Limited Access to the selected auditing firm makes it difficult to get all the necessary and required information concerning the activities
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Truancy: The practice of staying away from school without permission. In other words, it is the act of staying away from school without a reasonable excuse.
Vagrant: A person who has no home or job and one who beg.
Truant: A child who stays away from schools without permission.
Disobedient: failing or refusing to obey
Abet: To encourage somebody to be something wrong.
Frustration: Unable to be successful in a particular career.
Indulged: To be too generous in allowing somebody to do whatever they like.
1.8 ORGANIZATION OF THE STUDY
This research work is organized in five chapters, for easy understanding, as follows
Chapter one is concern with the introduction, which consist of the (overview, of the study), historical background, statement of problem, objectives of the study, research hypotheses, significance of the study, scope and limitation of the study, definition of terms and historical background of the study. Chapter two highlights the theoretical framework on which the study is based, thus the review of related literature. Chapter three deals on the research design and methodology adopted in the study. Chapter four concentrate on the data collection and analysis and presentation of finding. Chapter five gives summary, conclusion, and recommendations made of the study
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN PRINCIPALS LEADERSHIP STYLE AND JOB SATISFACTION OF TEACHERS IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN BENIN METROPOLIS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background to Study The quality of Educational outcome is the product of effective and efficient utilization of human, materi...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY In our society today, students face a complex and rapidly changing society. It has been reported ...Continue Reading »
3. A regression analysis on the hours spent on the internet and time spent to study on academic performance of students.» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1. BACKGROUND OF STUDY Nigerians are confronted with an environment that is rapidly changing and the time spent on non ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This research is carried out to critically review the causes of drug abuse among students and Benue state university was used as a case study...Continue Reading »
5. INFRASTRUCTURAL FACILITIES, STAFF SERVICE DELIVERY QUALITY AND MOTIVATION ON STUDENTS ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE (A CASE STUDY OF UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN)» CHAPTER ONE1.0 INTRODUCTION1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDYEffective teaching and learning in schools require adequate infrastructure. The goal of school infra...Continue Reading »
6. EVALUATION OF HEALTH EDUCATION A TOOL FOR ERADICATING COMMUNICABLE DISEASE AMONG PRIMARY SCHOOL PUPILS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study A communicable disease is an illness caused by a specific infectious agent or it's toxic products...Continue Reading »
7. PROBLEMS OF TEACHING ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE IN NIGERIA SECONDARY SCHOOL (A CASE STUDY OF IGBO ETITI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA) OF ENUGU STATE» ABSTRACT Although English language is now the language of government, business and commerce, education, the mass media, literature and internal as wel...Continue Reading »
8. effect of classroom size in effective teaching and learning of Junior Secondary Schools in Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY For many years, educators, politicians and people in general have debated on the number of st...Continue Reading »
9. SURVEY OF CAUSES OF STUDENT’S DIFFICULTIES IN LEARNING ENGLISH LANGUAGE AMONG SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN WAMAKKO L.G.A OF SOKOTO STATE: IMP...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study This study is designed to look at causes of student’s difficulties in learning English lang...Continue Reading »
10. THE ATTITUDE OF PARENTS TOWARDS GIRL-CHILD EDUCATION IN SURU LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF KEBBI STATE» ABSTRACT The title of our project was attitude of parents towards girl child education in Suru Local Government area, Kebbi State. A population of 150...Continue Reading »