Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 78 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1 - 5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Questionnaire, Data Analysis,Abstract.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Education serves as a prime instrument in the development of Nigeria but the issue of malpractice has led to the problem of this system. The main purpose of examination is for certification of achievement, selection for educational and employment opportunities, quality control of the curriculum and its delivery, monitoring of educational standards and the assessment of school effectiveness.
However, the occurrence of examination malpractices at any level of educational system poses the greatest threat to the certificate thereby, issued. According to Olusoji et al., (2002) examination malpractice is not a recent phenomenon neither is it peculiar to tertiary level. It has been with us in Nigeria for a long time and has now almost assumed an epidemic influence. The phenomenon increases in number, scope, and complexity. The first publicity reported case of examination malpractice in Nigeria occurred in 1914 when there was leakage of question papers in senior Cambridge local examination. Since then there has been several cases reported but within the recent times occurred in 2009. If we consider also the cases of examination malpractices which occurred over the years within our school system as well as examinations conducted by bodies such as JAMB, NABTEB, NAEC, WAEC, NECO, NTI, and other professional bodies, it could be concluded that examination malpractice is a common daily experience.
The effects of examination malpractice are very shocking to educational, economic and political development of any nation. Fibessima, (2002) identified the effect of examination malpractice as a production of half baked graduates form academic institution, retarded educational growth and development, false sense of value and impression of students capability as well as loss of confidence in candidates who are involved in examination malpractice.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The issue of examination malpractice has become a frequent practice in Ilaje Local government Area in Ondo State just it is in other states of the federation.
This takes different forms. In order to carryout the research successfully, the following underlying problems are to be investigated:
1. What is examination malpractice?
2. What are the causes of examination malpractice among students?
3. Lack of preparation amongst students for examination.
4. Effect of examination malpractice in the society.
1.3 RESEARCH QUESTION
To achieve a meaningful research result, the following basic question was drawn as measure to guide the researcher in carrying but the researcher:
1. Does poor moral upbringing of students in the society cause them to engage in examination malpractice?
2. Do poor teaching habits of teachers cause students to engage in examination malpractices?
3. Could lack of preparation of students for an examination be responsible for their involvement in examination malpractice?
4. Do poor conditions under which examination are conducted such as inappropriate sitting arrangement and poor supervision cause students in examination malpractice?
5. Do most students who engage in examination malpractice perform poorly in their after school?
6. Will a society where students are involved in examination malpractice suffer lack of skill manpower?
The following are hypothesis derived from the research question:
1. Poor moral upbringing of students in the society caused them to engage in examination malpractice.
2. Poor teaching habits of teachers cause students to engage in examination malpractice.
3. Lack of preparation of students for an examination causes them to get involve in examination malpractice
4. Students’ involvement in malpractice is caused by poor conditions under which examinations are conducted such as inappropriate sitting arrangement and poor supervision.
1.5 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The purpose of this study aims at the following
1. To understand the concept about examination malpractice and it types.
2. To identify the cause of examination malpractice among secondary school students.
3. To realize and identify the negative effects of examination malpractice.
4. To determine the ways of controlling examination malpractice among secondary school students.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This study will help draw attention to the school principals who are much more concerned with the students’ undue passing of examination rather than being concerned with the curriculum. It will also educate parents, the school, the government/educational administrators on the need for guidance and counseling services in our secondary schools especially the ones in Ilaje Local Government Area Ondo State.
The research finding would benefit educational administrators with enablement on how to control examination malpractice thereby preventing its negative effects.
1.7 SCOPE OF STUDY
Five public schools were taken for sample as case study in Ilaje Local Government Area.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Below are some operational definitions of terminologies used in this research.
Examination: It is an important written or practical test at school that needs to undergo in order to get a promotion or qualification.
Examination malpractice: It is irregular or illegal behavior deliberate or inadvertent conduct of a candidate before, during and after any examination or examination.
Secondary school students: These are adolescents who are studying at an institution that is between the basic primary and tertiary institution
Cause: to make something happen, especially something bad or unpleasant
Effect: This means the result of something upon another
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE IMPACT OF UNIVERSAL BASIC EDUCATION PROGRAMME (UBE) ON THE NIGERIAN CHILD: A CASE STUDY OF NEW ERA JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL IN UPPER MISSION AREA, ...» ABSTRACT This project work is aimed at critically examining the impact of universal basic education (UBE) programme on the Nigerian child using New Er...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the Study Admission of students into secondary school places on the schools the responsibility for providing th...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Misconceptions are not only to be observed in today’s children or students even scientists ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Record keeping in an organizational set up is very important and cannot be overemphasized. This i...Continue Reading »
5. THE EFFECT OF GUIDANCE AND COUNSELING IN COMBATING ADOLESCENCE CRISES IN POST PRIMARY SCHOOLS IN K/NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA» ABSTRACT The adolescent stage of Human development is put roughly between the ages of 13 to 19 years. This stage has been characterized by several cri...Continue Reading »
6. THE IMPACT OF THE INDUSTRIAL ACTIONS (ASUU STRIKE) ON ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF UNIVERSITY STUDENTS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY The education sub sector especially tertiary institutions in Nigeria have witnessed in recent tim...Continue Reading »
7. IMPORTANCE OF INTRODUCING INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY IN THE TEACHING OF GEOGRAPHY IN SECONDARY SCHOOL» INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study The purpose of teaching is primarily to assist the learner acquire the type of knowledge and skill that will ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The main concern of this study was to final out the teenage pregnancy and how it affects the educational development of our teenagers in Kaur...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study was carried out to examine the role of early childhood education in the implementation of sustainable development goals using Fede...Continue Reading »
10. FACTORS INFLUENCING REASONING ABILITY OF SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN EZEAGU LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF ENUGU STATE: A STUDY OF AGUOBU-OWA HIGH SCHOOL» ABSTRACT This study explored the factors influencing the reasoning ability of secondary school students in Ezeagu Local Government Area (LGA) of Enugu...Continue Reading »