The Complete Project Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters. Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
Get the complete project »
Computer Science has played a great role in the development of Nigeria, most especially within the educational sector where its relevant on teacher education cannot be overemphasized. This study therefore sought to identify the strategies for improving the teaching/learning of Computer Science at Department of Education (Technical), Kaduna Polytechnic. Among the specific purpose of the study were to identify the adequacy and quality of human and material resources for the teaching/learning of Computer Science at Department of Education (Technical), Kaduna Polytechnic, the methodology used in the teaching and the problems encountered were highlighted. It also suggests possible ways of improving the teaching/learning of Computer Science. The study adopted descriptive survey research design and the area of the study is Department of Education (Technical), Kaduna Polytechnic. The population of the study is made of 144 respondents. No sampling was employed as the population was manageable. The instrument used for data collection was a 30 questions structured questionnaire design to elicit Computer Science from the respondents on the research topic. The instrument was validated by the project supervisor and two other experts in the department of Education Technical for face and content validity. Data for the study were personally collected by the researcher and mean statistics was employed to analyze the data. The findings and discussions were analysed and suggestions and recommendations were proffered.
Background of the Study
Technology is a body of knowledge devoted to creating tools, processing actions and extracting of materials. The term technology is wide and everyone has their own way of understanding the meaning of technology. We use technology to accomplish various tasks in our daily lives. In brief we can describe technology as product processes or organization, we use technology to extend our abilities and that makes people as the most important part of technological system (Igwe, 2009).
Technology is concerned with the usage and knowledge of tools, techniques and craft. It is a system or method of organizing, or is a material product (such as clothing), that deals with the practical application of knowledge especially in the area, of economic science, Medical Technology, Electrical/Computer Science, Building Technology etc. The economic strength of every nation depends on its technological advancement (Gowon, 2010).
Technology education is a generic term embracing all the experience that an individual need to prepare for useful occupation. It helps to equip citizens with the acquisition of appropriate practical skills, activities and competency (both mental and physical) that enables him/her to live in and contribute to the development of the society Gowon (2010). Vocational and technology education is a major tool design to be used in achieving the five (5) main National Policy on Education NPE (2004). Technology education is important today in the nation building.
Computer science education is defined as the process of acquiring the basic computer knowledge, ideas, skills, and other competencies so as to understand the basic technologies. In the earliest days of computers, the only computer education was about computers. At that time, computer were huge, expensive and rare, computer education was limited to those students with exceptional mathematical aptitude. After all that is what computers were all about, solving mathematical problems.
Computer Science is the science and technology of transmitting Computer Science electronically by wires or radio signals with integrated encoding and decoding equipment (Microsoft Encarta, 2014).Technological education is concern with the systematic training, acquisition of knowledge, practical skills and character formations. It deals with the total development of individuals and how he can manipulate his physical environment. Nigeria has long recognized that survival of the nation depends on the technological advancement (F.G.N. 2004).
Computer Science comprises devices and systems that transmit electronic or optical signals across long distances. It helps to access Computer Science instantly through networking which can be access all over the nation. Computer Science enables people to send and receive personal messages across town, between countries, and to and from outer space. It also provides the key medium for delivering news, data, Computer Science, and entertainment, (Microsoft Encarta, 2014.)
However, the researchers have observed that after about four (4) decades of the establishment of technical schools (colleges) Polytechnics, Monotechnics, Colleges of Education Technical and Universities of technologies, Computer Science education is yet to be given the desired attention and/or focus in our educational system. Computer Science education is plagued with numerous problems, ranging from shortage of manpower, lack of funds, inadequate workshops for practical, and government not give enough attention to it. The main aim it to identify the problems encountered by and make amendment toward solving these problems.
Statement of the Problem
Despite the importance of Computer Science Education as evident in our present day life, yet not much attention have been dedicated to this specialty. Therefore, this study tries to look at the causes or factors responsible for such a serious national problem. Could these be attributed to; lack of enough manpower in the field of Computer Science, inadequate supply of practical materials in the workshop, Poor performance of students in Computer Science, un-conducive learning environment, wrong method of teaching and learning of Computer Science, Strike action embarked upon by the lecturers, Lack of constant studies by the students, recruitment of unqualified manpower in the field, lack of funds, or lack of enough time for practical to students that contribute to poor background among many others.
Therefore, these call for a study to investigate ways for improving the teaching/learning of computer science education in the department of education technical, Kaduna Polytechnic, Kaduna.
Purpose of the Study
The study will aim at developing strategist for improving the teaching and learning of Computer Science at Department of Education (Technical), Kaduna Polytechnic, Kaduna state. specifically, the study seeks to:
1. Assess the availability of resources for the teaching/learning of Computer Science in the department of education technical, Kaduna Polytechnic, Kaduna.
2. Determine the challenges encountered in teaching/learning of Computer Science Education in the department of education technical, Kaduna Polytechnic, Kaduna.
3. To find out ways of improving the teaching and learning of computer science education in the department of education technical, Kaduna Polytechnic, Kaduna.
Significance of the study
a. If the findings of this study are adopted and implemented, it will be of great benefit to the government and policy makers, school managers, students and parents/guardian.
b. The research will be of benefit to government, in planning its vocational and technical education effectively, thus is with particular reference to computer science education.
c. It will also benefit policy makers, such as the National Commission for colleges of education (NCE) with Computer Science about the challenges in teaching Computer Science in Department of Education (Technical), Kaduna Polytechnic.
d. It will also be useful to schools managers, in maintaining admission standard, monitor the lecturers' performance and qualities. Provide adequate practical materials, tools equipment. And above all ensure the free environment for students to learn.
e. It will benefit students, who want to devote their lives to offer the course (Computer Science) as subject.
f. It will benefit Parents/Guardian, in allowing and guiding their children/wards in choosing courses of their choice according to their capabilities, provide all their need for effective learning.
Based on the purpose of the study the following research questions are drawn
1. What are the resources available for the teaching/learning of Computer Science at Department of Education (Technical), Kaduna Polytechnic?
2. What are the challenges encountered in teaching/learning of Computer Science in the Department of Education (Technical), Kaduna Polytechnic?
3. What are the ways of improving teaching/learning of Computer Science Education in the Department of Education (Technical) Kaduna Polytechnic?
Scope of the study
This study is delimited to investigating how to improve the teaching and learning of computer science in the department of Education (Technical), Kaduna Polytechnic.
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. INFLUENCE OF INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION ON STUDENT LECTURER ACADEMIC RELATIONSHIPS IN THE UNIVERSITY» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Communication between student lecturers serves as a connection between them; it plays a central r...Continue Reading »
74 pages | 28 hits | Source: EDUCATION
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background to the Study The current Universal Basic Education (UBE) scheme in Nigeria is a product of an earlier educational ...Continue Reading »
186 pages | 176 hits | Source: EDUCATION
3. AN INVESTIGATIVE STUDY ON THE USE OF FIELD TRIP IN TEACHING AND LEARNING OF BIOLOGY IN SECONDARY SCHOOL» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Concepts of Field Trip strategy was introduced in 1827 by George Shillibeer for a Quaker school at Abney Park in Stoke Newing...Continue Reading »
58 pages | 82 hits | Source: EDUCATION
4. AN INVESTIGATION IN TO THE PROBLEM FACING TEACHERS IN TEACHING COMPUTER SCIENCE IN SECONDARY SCHOOL TODAY» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study The How fast the world has grown, from the days of the primitive man, to the days of the medieval...Continue Reading »
63 pages | 179 hits | Source: EDUCATION
5. SKILLS NEEDED FOR IMPROVING IMPROVISATION SKILLS AMONG TEACHERS OF BASIC TECHNOLOGY IN SECONDARY SCHOOL IN KATSINA STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the study According to oxford dictionary, it defines improvisation as inventing or making from whatever is avai...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 95 hits | Source: EDUCATION
6. IMPORTANCE OF TEACHING SEX EDUCATION IN JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS. A CASE STUDY OF SOME SELECTED SCHOOLS IN IKPOBA OKHA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO ST...» ABSTRACT This project is aimed at findings out the importance of teaching sex education in junior secondary school in Ikpoba Okha Local Government Are...Continue Reading »
58 pages | 137 hits | Source: EDUCATION
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Education remains the key to human development. It is seen as the driving force for meaningful de...Continue Reading »
65 pages | 57 hits | Source: EDUCATION
» ABSTRACT This study focuses on the "Perception of premarital sex among students in higher education The challenges of sex before marriage have drawn c...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 53 hits | Source: EDUCATION
9. THE LEVEL OF THE KNOWLEDGE AND SOURCE OF INFORMATION ON SEXUAL TRANSMITTED INFECTION (STIS ) AMONG JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL» ABSTRACT This study was designed to investigate the level of knowledge and source information of sexual transmitted infection among secondary school s...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 157 hits | Source: EDUCATION
10. IMPROVING THE EFFECTIVENESS OF ACCOUNTING SYSTEM IN EDUCATION SECTOR (A CASE STUDY OF AUCHI POLYTECHNIC, AUCHI)» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Accounting aims, as an information system, to provide various users with different forms of usefu...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 64 hits | Source: EDUCATION