Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
It has been clearly identified that one of the agent that easily deteriorate building structure, weaken the strength of the component of building and shorten the life-span of building is “DAMP”, which may occur in different dimension therefore, this project is centred on causes of damp, prevention of damp and the necessary treatment needed for the structure that has been severely affected with damp in makoko, yaba area of Lagos state. This research connotes that the main causes of damp are: rain penetration, rising damp, condensation, humidity, roof leakage and lack of drainage. To achieve the objective of this study, four research questions were raised. The survey research design was adopted using observation technique. A checklist was used for data collection. Based on the findings it was concluded that there is need to prevent and treat damp in building in makoko area of Yaba local government in Lagos state so as to have an healthy environment and also to prolong life of structures. Recommendations were made for prevention and treatment of damp in this area based on the reviewed literature.
Background of the Study
Damp is the presence of unwanted moisture in the structure of a building, either the result of intrusion from outside or condensation from within the structure.
According to Don Prowler (2011) moisture in buildings is a major contributor to mold growth, unhealthy buildings, and poor indoor air quality. A high proportion of damp problems in buildings are caused by condensation, rain penetration and rising damp.
Dampness tends to caused secondary damage to a building. The unwanted moisture enables the growth of various fungi in wood, causing rots or mold health issues and may eventually lead to a sick building syndrome. Plaster and wallpaper loosens: stains from the water, salts and from mold mar surfaces.
In makoko metropolis of Yaba local government area of Lagos state, damp has been a major issues which affects building. And has put the life of the occupants at risk of health problem such as asthma, it also cause damage to their properties and also the deterioration of building. This project will help the people of makoko and its environs to know the causes of this damp, means of preventing the damp from occurring and the major problem or treatment needed for the buildings that has been affected with damp.
Statement of the Problem
Damp problems in buildings causes poor indoor air qualities, respiratory illness in occupants, falling of mortar from the affected walls, failure of building components and at times serious health effects in humans. Hence there is need to find out the causes, prevention and treatment of damp in building.
Purpose of the Study
The essence of this study is to:
1. Identify the causes of damp in buildings in makoko area of Yaba local government in Lagos state.
2. Identify the effects of damp on buildings in makoko area of Yaba local government in Lagos state.
3. Measures for preventing the damp in order to improve the life span of the buildings in makoko.
4. Proffer the proper treatment to the buildings that are affected by damp in makoko.
1. What are the causes of damp in buildings?
2. What are the effects of damp on buildings?
3. What are the means of preventing damp in building?
4. What are the necessary treatments needed for buildings that are affected by damp?
Significance of the Study
At the end of this research project the following people will be the beneficiary of the proffer solution to the problem: the landlords and landladies, the building occupants, the maintenance technicians, the builder.
Specifically this study will help the landlord and landladies (building owners) to know that damp that can deteriorates their buildings and they will be able to know and make the right choice of materials to demand for when their house is under construction or renovation. They will also appreciate the needs to employ professionals when constructing.
This study will help occupants to be aware of damp which can damage their properties, and be injurious to their health. It will also guide them in the choice of accommodation.
This study will serve as a guideline to the maintenance technicians who are required to carry out renovation/repairs in a building, to prevent the effects of this damp on such building and the right treatment needed for the houses that are affected.
The builder will benefit from this project due to the fact that this project will guide in the choice of materials to be used for construction which will serve as an antidote to the effects of damp in building, how to treat a swamping area (example foundation type) before building on it in order to prevent rising damp.
The Scope the Study
The scope of this study will be limited to the dampness effect in buildings at makoko. This project also enumerates the causes, prevention and treatment of damp in building in makoko area of yaba local government in Lagos state.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR CIVIL ENGINEERING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. POLLUTION PROBLEMS AND AN ENGINEERING APPROACH TO THE MANAGEMENT AND CONTROL OF INDUSTRIAL EFFLUENTS IN OTTA, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT This study examined the effects of effluent discharges from various point loads on a purposively selected receiving river, the self recovery ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study examines the procurement process in Nigeria with a view to assessing the procurement act, as well as investigating the effects of ...Continue Reading »
» INTRODUCTION TO SCC Self Compacting Concrete (SCC), a relatively new category of high performance concrete, is proportioned in such that the concrete ...Continue Reading »
» TABLE OF CONTENTS PREFACE............................................................................................................................ ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Studies have shown that many of our lawn and garden irrigation systems are poorly planned Water is one of our most precio...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1. INTRODUCTION 2. Since the attainment of independence, Nigeria has witnessed rapid economic and social development, which has open up th...Continue Reading »
7. SUSTAINABILITY STRATEGIES IN ENGINEERING INFRASTRCUTURE IN DEVELOPING COUNTRIES; A CASE STUDY OF SELECTED SOUTH WESTERN REGION OF NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of Study Sustainability issue in recent times has dominated the arena of discussion in built environment. Billions...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The study of financial risk in public projects are essential to help stakeholders understand the financial impacts that can result from these...Continue Reading »
9. DRILLING FLUID ADDITIVE: AN OVERVIEW, HISTORY OF LOCAL CONTENT DRILLING FLUID ADDITIVE CONSIDERING GUM ARABIC» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Drilling mud is a flowing fluid applied in rotary drilling for achieving single or multiple tasks during the procedure, a...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION The construction of structure on weak ground often requires the soil to be improved in order to ensure the safet...Continue Reading »