Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 90 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
The current extensive use of low quality aggregate in Nigerian road for engineering applications is of concern because they appear to be a level of ignorance surrounding their existing properties and implications. This project was conceived for the purpose of comparing the crushed aggregate and one sample each was obtained from different locations and transported to ministry of works laboratory Enugu, Enugu State. These aggregate samples were tested. It also revealed that the standard strength for Abrasion is between 20 – 30 percent comparison were made between the results, precautions, procedures and observations. And this coarse aggregate should be tested and analyzed before using in any constructional purposes to ensure durability of engineering products. The highest and lowest compressive strength was obtained in the concrete specimens prepared with steel slag and calcareous limestone aggregates, respectively. Similarly, the split tensile strength of steel slag aggregate concrete was the highest, followed by that of dolomitic and quartzitic limestone aggregate concretes. The lowest split tensile strength was noted in the calcareous limestone aggregate concrete. The type of coarse aggregate also influences the modulus of elasticity of concrete. Weaker aggregates tend to produce a more ductile concrete than stronger aggregates do.
The basic thing in investigation into the quality of aggregate in road construction is that aggregates serves as reinforcement to add strength to the overall composite material. Due to the relatively high hydraulic conductivity value as compared to most soils, aggregates are widely used in drainage application such as foundation and French drains, septic drain fields, retaining wall drains and road side edge drains. Also the quality of aggregates helps to prevent differential setting under the road that binds with more expensive asphalt. Furthermore, aggregates feature at all levels of road construction up to the surface which includes aggregates resistant to polishing, ensuring skid resistance. The quality plan or system should cover all quality aspect of source material handling aggregate processing, stockpiling and transportation including methods and frequency of sampling and testing to be used, and should also identify key responsibilities.
1.2 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
It involves the analysis of the quality of Aggregates used in road construction in respect to its strength, properties of aggregates and application of aggregates in construction field. Also it explained why Aggregates can be defined as Natural aggregates, manufactured aggregates and Recycled aggregates. It reveals the difference between primary aggregates and secondary aggregates during the study. This study examines the practical uses and laboratory testing of the aggregates using different methods and the problem arising during the research. Also recommendation for developing and implementing a quality plan or system are covered during the research.
1.3 AIM AND OBJECTIVES OF THIS STUDY
THE GENERAL AIM AND OBJECTIVES OF THIS STUDY IS AS FOLLOWS
1. To identify the key factors affecting the strength of aggregate structure which are aggregate shape, angularity and texture?
2. To ensure that the specifications for aggregates angularity are included in the super pave mixture design system.
3. To obtain a material sufficiently durable to last the design life of the road in order that its performance is not affected by deterioration or degradation of the material.
4. To determine the aggregate abrasion resistance and breakdown of particles and tests that address aggregate weathering when exposed to freezing and thawing.
5. To determine the different properties of aggregates
6. To examine the different quality plan or system to controlling the sources of aggregate
1.4 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
It covers the systems and procedures recommended by Roading New Zealand (RNZ) for the quality assurance of aggregates for roads. The guideline was developed by quality Association of New Zealand. It reveals that the aggregate producer should have a formal quality plan system in operation in each quarry detailing the quality control producers to be used for sourcing rock and for controlling quality of each of the aggregate produced. Also the quality plan or system should cover all quality aspects of source material handling aggregate processing, stock pilling and transportation, including methods and frequency of sampling of sampling and testing to be used.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR CIVIL ENGINEERING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF PIPEBORNE WATER AND OTHER SOURCES OF WATER WITHIN ENUGU METROPOLIS FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION.(INDEPENDENCE LAYOUT LOCALITY)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Following the theory of creation, it is clear that water is as old as man. From time immemorial, man has restored to the use ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Preamble Many items discarded by people, organizations and companies have the potential to be reused for their original p...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Technological advancement has cuts across all aspect of human activities. However, it is on this platform that the need to minimize or check ...Continue Reading »
4. POLLUTION PROBLEMS AND AN ENGINEERING APPROACH TO THE MANAGEMENT AND CONTROL OF INDUSTRIAL EFFLUENTS IN OTTA, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT This study examined the effects of effluent discharges from various point loads on a purposively selected receiving river, the self recovery ...Continue Reading »
» TABLE OF CONTENTS CERTIFICATION.. i DECLARATION.. ii DEDICATION.. iii ACKNOWLEDGEMENT.. iv TABLE OF CONTENTS. v LIST OF TABLES. x LIST OF FIGURES. xii...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Though stone base has been known as material for base construction in flexible pavements, recent findings have shown that stone base can be u...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Sustaining housing development especially to the medium/low income group of the society has become a huge challenge particularly because of t...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1. INTRODUCTION 2. Since the attainment of independence, Nigeria has witnessed rapid economic and social development, which has open up th...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT One of the characteristics of construction projects is that they entail huge capital outlay. These investments have alternatives; in effect i...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study researched into how new and existing highways in Nigeria can be designed for construction or reconstruction to check under design ...Continue Reading »