Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 43 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 Background of the Study
Activated carbon also called activated charcoal is a carbonaceous, highly porous adsorptive medium that has a complex structure which comprises primarily of carbon atoms. The activated carbons are channels created within a rigid, skeleton of disordered layers of carbon atoms, linked together by chemical bonds, stacked unevenly, creating a highly porous structure of nooks, crannies, cracks and crevices between the carbon layers. (Sheffler, 1996).
Activated carbon are manufactured from lignocellulose materials (the combination of lignin and cellulose in the structural cells of woody plants), coal, petroleum coke, coconut shell, sugarcane bagasse and other agricultural materials. (Girgis and Ishak, 1999). Activation by different method or high temperature mechanisms are used in the production of activated carbons from these raw materials.
The intrinsic pore network in the lattice structure of activated carbons allows the removal of impurities from gaseous and liquid media through a mechanism referred to as adsorption. (Larteet al., 1999). Activated carbon is mainly available in three forms namely powdered, granular and extruded form and each form is available in many sizes, Based upon the application and requirements.
The importance of activated carbon to an ever growing society cannot be over emphasized considering its enormous uses. Its uses ranges from liquid phase to gaseous-phase applications in domestic, commercial, health care centers and industrial settings. (Hassler, 1963).
In many water treatment applications, activated carbon has proved to be the least expensive treatment option. One of the major attributes of activated carbon treatment is its ability to remove a wide variety of toxic organic compounds to non-detectible levels (99.9%). (Mendez et al, 2006).
The basic method of producing activated carbon from sugarcane bagasse are the physical and chemical methods. Both methods can combine in efforts to produce higher surface area. (Baksi et al., 2006).
1.2 Research Problem Statement
Sugarcane bagasse is a waste material constituting an environmental problem. The material is found to indiscriminately liter most cities in the northern Nigeria. However, it can be put into proper use by treating and transforming it. Preparation of activated carbon from sugarcane bagasse using thermal method will go a long way to solving the environmental problem constituted by the sugarcane bagasse and it could also be a major research guide in the study of activated carbon.
1.3 Aim and Objectives
The aim of this research is to produce and characterize activated carbon from sugarcane bagasse by thermal method. The objectives of this research are as follows;
ü To investigate the effect of temperature on the quality of the activated carbon produced.
ü To characterize the activated carbon produced.
The scope of the research work includes
· To investigate the effect of temperature from 500, 550 and 600oc on the quality of the activated carbon produced.
· To analyze the activated carbon through FTIR and proximate analysis.
· Preparation of activated carbon from sugarcane bagasse.
· Characterization of activated carbon produced from sugarcane bagasse.
1.5 Relevance of the Research
a) Utilization of available raw materials and waste materials.
b) Creation of job opportunity.
c) Generation of revenue.
Sugarcane bagasse is a locally available raw material which is not expensive but has a great effect in the production of activated carbon. The method of production is safe and easy.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BIOLOGY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. EFFECTS OF VIDEO-LEARNING AND MIND-MAPPING APPROACHES ON BIOLOGY STUDENTS’ ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT IN GENETICS» ABSTRACT This study investigated “Effects of video learning approach and mind mapping approach on biology students’ academic achievement i...Continue Reading »
2. AN INVESTIGATIVE STUDY ON THE VIEWS OF BIOLOGY STUDENTS ON THE PROBLEM OF LABORATORY MANAGEMENT AND SAFETY IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS» ABSTRACT The purpose of this study is to find out the biology Teachers views on problems of laboratory management and safety in selected secondary sch...Continue Reading »
3. THE ROLE OF Rauwolfia vomitoria ROOT-BARK EXTRACT (100mg/kg) ON MALE AND FEMALE ALBINO WISTAR RATS ON THE RELEASE OF LUTENIZING HORMONES, PROGESTRONE ...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Plants have been considered as sources of medicinal agents, as it offers natural products useful for ...Continue Reading »
4. EGG CHOLESTEROL LEVEL AND BLOOD BIOCHEMICAL PROFILE OF SIX SPECIES OF POULTRY UNDER EXTENSIVE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM» ABSTRACT Six different poultry species (Indigenous chicken, Broiler, Turkey, Geese, Duck and Guinea fowl) were studied under extensive system of manag...Continue Reading »
» TABLE OF CONTENTS Cover Page i Certification ii Dedication iii Acknowledgements iv Table of Content v Summary vii CHAPTER ONE 1.0 Introduction 1 Chapt...Continue Reading »
6. THE EFFECT OF BIOLOGY PRACTICAL ACTIVITIES ON ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT OF SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS (CASE STUDY OF ENUGU EAST LGA)» CHAPTER ONE BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY INTRODUCTION The words “science” is often misconstrued by many people. While some view it as a white m...Continue Reading »
7. TO DETERMINE THE CAUSAL RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN ADVANCED MATERNAL AGE AND DOWN SYNDROME IN BUSA BUJI COMMUNITY, JOS NORTH, PLATEAU STATE.» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Down syndrome is a genetic disorder caused when abnormal cell division results in an extra chromo...Continue Reading »
8. THE PROBLEMS AND PROSPECT OF TEACHING BIOLOGY IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS (A CASE STUDY OF ENUGU SOUTH L.G.A)» Abstract The study investigated the problems and prospect of teaching biology in secondary schools. This study became necessary because of the unavail...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Basically, this research was undertaken to analyze the accountability and budget implementation in Nigeria (a case study of ministry of finan...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The incidence of the infestation of plasmodium species (P.Falciparum, P. Vivax, P.Ovale, and P. alaria) which causes human malaria in Enugu m...Continue Reading »