Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 50 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
INTERNAL CONTROL SYSTEM AND BANK FRAUD PREVENTION IN NIGERIA BANKING INDUSTRY (A CASE STUDY OF SELECTED BANKS IN AUCH
This study mainly focuses on internal control system and bank fraud prevention in Nigeria banking industry. Internal control plays a significant role in the Nigeria banking industry. Internal control are policies, procedures, practices on organizational structure implemented to provide reasonable assurance that organization’s business objective will achieve and undesired risk event will be prevented or detected and corrected based on either compliance or management initiated concerns. The researcher uses survey design hence, the use of questionnaires, personal interview and observation in data collection. Hypotheses were formulated and analyzed with the use of chi-square test at 5% level of significance. The findings revealed that bank with internal control system can prevent the menace of fraud and a good internal control system has a significant affection on fraud detection and control. The study concludes that Lack of good internal control measure is a major cause of fraud in various banks and recommends among others that banks in Nigeria should pursue and effective internal control measures to prevent fraud.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title Page i
Table of contents vi
Chapter One: Introduction
- Background to the Study 1
- Statement of Problems 2
- Research Questions 3
- Objectives of the Study 3
- Statement of Hypothesis(es) 4
- Significance of the Study 4
- Scope of the Study 5
- Limitation of the Study 5
- Definition of Terms 6
Chapter Two: Review of Related Literature
- Introduction 7
- Definition of Fraud 7
2.3 Theory of Fraud 8
2.4 Types of Bank Fraud and Ways of Defrauding Bank 10
2.5 Causes of Fraud in Bank 12
2.6 Effect of Fraud in Bank 13
2.7 Prevention of Fraud in Banks 16
2.8 Measures for Controlling Fraud in Bank 18
2.9 What is Internal Control? 23
2.10 Components of Internal Control 25
2.11 Management Responsible for Internal Control 26
2.12 Application Measures of Internal Control 27
2.13 Objectives of Internal Control 28
2.14 Limitations on the Effectiveness of Internal Control 28
2.15 Period of Concealment of Fraud in Banks 29
2.16 Brief History of Unity Bank Plc 30
2.17 The Bank Strategy Focus 31
Chapter Three: Research Method and Design
- Introduction 33
- Research Design 33
- Description of Population of the Study 33
- Sample Size 34
- Sampling Techniques 34
- Sources of Data Collection 34
- Method of Data Presentation 35
- Method of Data Analysis 36
Chapter Four: Data Presentation, Analysis and Interpretation
4.1 Introduction 37
4.2 Data Presentation 37
4.3 Data Analysis 38
4.4 Hypothesis Testing 57
Chapter Five: Summary of Findings, Conclusion and Recommendations
5.1 Introduction 62
5.2 Summary of Findings 62
5.3 Conclusion 63
5.4 Recommendations 64
Appendix I 67
Appendix II 68
- Background to the Study
Internal control, the strength of every organization, has become of paramount importance today in Nigeria banks; the reason being that the control system in any organization is a pillar for an efficient accounting system. The need for internal control systems in the organization, especially banks cannot be undermined, due to the fact that the banking sector, which has a crucial role in the economic development of a nation, is now being characterized by macro economic instability, slow growth in real economic activities, corruption and the risk of fraud.
Fraud, which is the major reason for setting up internal control system, has becomes a great pain in the neck of many Nigerians. It also has become an unfortunate staple in Nigeria’s international reputation. Fraud is really eating deep into the Nigeria banking system and that any bank with a weak internal control system is dangerously exposed to bank fraud.
In a nut-shell, the damage which this menace called “fraud” has done to banks in is innumerable and needs urgent attention. Therefore the attempt to put an end to this economic degradation, gave rise to the topic of this research study internal control system and bank fraud prevention in Nigeria banking industry with Union Bank Plc as a case study. However, this study is aimed at verifying the concept that an effective and efficient internal control system is the best control measure for preventing and detecting fraud, especially in the banking sector.
- Statement of Problem
Considering the effects by fraud and fraudulent act as pointed in the introduction, the problem of this study is to effectively comb and curb the incidence of fraud. Yet they have not been able to stop bank fraud completely. For this reason, this research was carried out to help the banks in looking for ways of preventing bank fraud to achieve the objective, and this research work will be guided with questions.
- Research Questions
In other to achieve the objective of this study the following questions need to be answered;
- Is lack of good internal control a major cause of fraud in bank?
- Do banks with internal control system prevent menace of frauds in Nigeria?
- Why do bank personnel commit fraud?
- How effectively is fraud control measure in Nigeria banks?
- Objective of the Study
The objective of this research is basically aimed at the following:
- To determine if lack of good internal control a major cause of fraud in bank.
- To ascertain whether banks with internal control system prevent menace of frauds in Nigeria.
- To determine if bank personnel commit fraud.
- To ascertain how effectively fraud control measure is in Nigerian banks.
- Statement of Hypotheses
HO: The lack of a good internal control is not a major cause of fraud in banks.
HI: The lack of a good internal control is a major cause of frauds in Nigeria.
HO: Banks with internal control system cannot prevent the menace of fraud in Nigeria.
HI: Banks with internal control system can prevent the menace of fraud in Nigeria.
- Significance of the Study
From all experience, fraud is unique in terms of the system of planning and execution.
Knowledge of the various ways which fraud have been perpetuated in the past and foresight or anticipation system considering the past can facilitate an adequate internal control design that can be efficient and effective in guiding management in the prevention and re-occurrence of fraud. If it is agreed that majority of fraud are born by the bank, then banks should pursue effective internal control measures to prevent fraud.
The research work therefore is designed to help to get acquainted with various frauds and their method of execution with the view of gaining sufficient knowledge to enrich individuals and collective experience in management and prevention of fraud.
- Scope of the Study
This study examines the nature and prevention of bank fraud in Nigeria banking system and is based on knowing how good internal control relate with the prevention of bank frauds in the Nigeria banking. The study is based strictly in Nigeria banking system and more emphasis is based in Auchi, the research work uses a time frame of 5 years (2009 – 2013) using a sample size of 75 for effective result.
- Limitations of the Study
As a matter of fact, fraud in bank is a very sensitive issue, bankers hardly agree to discuss incidence of fraud in their bank, this is due to the fact that might scare their customer, and their competitors could capitalized on that. However, personal observation and experience as a long time practicing bankers has also been put to play in the research work especially in the area of scanning for information, except that these observations and experience were not originally documented.
- Definitions of Terms
The following are the definition of certain terms used in writing the project which the research feels that there may not be so conversant with.
- Fraud: This is an act or cause of deception deliberately practiced to gain unlawful and unfair advantage such deception is directly to the detriment of another person or group of persons.
- Fraudulent: Means deceitful, a person who commit frauds.
- Internal Audit: Means an independent appraisal unit
within an organization for the review of operation and service to
management in a managerial control by measuring and evaluating the
effectiveness of others.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BANKING FINANCE FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Small and medium scaled businesses (SME) are businesses whose personnel numbers fall below certai...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY. In Nigeria Commercial Banking date back to 1894 when the Bank of British West Africa (BBWA) was ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACTThis research work titled â€œAn Assessment of Loan Defaults and its Impact on Profitabilityâ€ with special references to Eco Bank Nig...Continue Reading »
4. ASSESSMENT OF THE IMPACT OF BANK CREDIT ON AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT (A CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA PLC)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Like many other African countries, Nigeria is primarily agrarian with its abundant land and water...Continue Reading »
5. PROBLEM AND SOLUTION OF BANK LENDING IN COMMERCIAL BANKS (A STUDY OF FIRST BANK NIGERIA PLC UGHELLI)» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study A businessmen undergoes the struggle difficulties and procedures of obtaining loans and advan...Continue Reading »
6. APPRAISAL OF THE ECONOMIC IMPLICATION OF ELECTRONIC BANKING IN NIGERIA BANKS (A CASE STUDY OF DIAMOND BANK)» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Before the emergence of modern banking system, banking operation was manually done which lead to a slow down i...Continue Reading »
7. PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS OF LENDING TO SMALL SCALE AGRICULTURAL PRODUCERS IN BANK OF AGRICULTURE OF NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Nigeria has been endowed with abundant human and material resources. Yet, imports bills for good ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY In any nation, there arem basically four objectives or goal of micro economics policies. i. H...Continue Reading »
9. THE EFFECT OF COMMERCIAL BANK CREDIT POLICIES IN PROMOTING SMALL – SCALE BUSINESS ENTERPRISES IN NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Commercial banks credit polices provides a wide range of financial services to individual, small or medium sized firms an...Continue Reading »
» Abstract Higher education is the forefront in the production of capable human resources base of Nigeria’s economy. However, regardless of effort...Continue Reading »