Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 80 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
In most developing countries including Nigerian government participation in economic activity is usually significant. One of the ways through which government has intervened in Nigerian economy is through the establishment of public enterprises and statutory bodies operating service of an economic or social character on behalf of the government.
Since the colonial era, especially after independence 1960, Nigerian public enterprises have witnessed a steady growth unit recently. Its Olisa (1988-133) pet it. Beginning as a trickle in the period between this era of the second world war and Nigeria risen to flood level since independence the establishment of public enterprise in Nigeria are many add to available rational capital for the support of development and welfare programme, making to be controlled by a few individual, it possible for important profitable enterprise to be controlled by a few individual or group organization certain critical activities national survival and economic stability and providing employment opportunities (Ademolukun 1983). However, after a long
period of growing starts intervention in the Nigeria economy through public enterprises, the 1980’s onwards had witnessed a reversed which has sometimes been dramatic in public opinion therefore public policy.
This has been brought by the persistent losses which state enterprises that trivet been running over fears. Consequently, there has been a willingness to look at alternative policy strategies for the achievement of economic development. At the forefront of these strategies is the minimization privatization of public enterprises.
In Nigeria, public enterprises are engaged in a while spectrum of economic activities including agriculture, mining, construction, manufacturing, commerce and services. The classification of public enterprises in Nigeria has been made according to varieties of criteria by different authorities. The public service review commission (1975:101) classified public sector int. Public utilities
Regulatory of service body
Commercial and industrial enterprises
Being a mixed economy, individuals also own and operate private enterprises. A firm classified as private enterprises when it is founded and managed by an individual and or a group of individual. These firms
are expected to be registered in the local government within which they operate.
The rational for the establishment of private enterprises are numerous just like establishment of public enterprises. They include amongst others; provision of employment opportunities generating income for the owner of the enterprises government interest in profit growth of the enterprises which performance of the public sector through competition. Moreover, the general public is concerned with contribution which makes towards social enlistment which is exhibit to the environment in which the business is loaded and its willingness to contribute to the development of the environment.
The activities of the public enterprises have been on the increase in recent times which necessitated the introduction of the accounting practice to check and monitor the financial activities of these enterprises. In this book, titled principles of accounting, by Bimage (1985) Accounting is defined as a process by which data relating to the economic activities of an organization are measured recorded and communicated to interested parties for analysis and interpretation. The earliest methods of accounting records were kept in physical quantities. These records came from the Eastern (early) civilization
which involved in the countries around the Mediterranean Sea such as Mesopotamia, Egypt, Crete, Italy etc. Money was recorded as soon as money took the place of barter as a medium of exchange and unit of accounting practice has been closely related to the economic development of the country. If the business organizations grows in size and complexity management and outsiders groups which include owners of the firm (stock holder) creditor, government, employer and the general public.
The differentiation necessitated the need to have accounting department in the enterprises to give accurate financial of the management and to satisfy the outside demands or the general public who are already interest on whether the enterprises in growing or not. The role of accounting in public enterprises in Nigeria is primarily to ensure accurate accountability in these sectors and present the time and fair financial position of the enterprises. The role is of utmost importance in any organization. An organization can only grow or profit when the resources can only be well managed if accounting department of the organization give accurate financial information to know how much the enterprises having. It only when this is done that the firm allocate its resources and knows what is to be done. The role of accounting seems to be more pounced in the public enterprises. In
recent times, there are cases of mis appropriation of funds in the public enterprises and improper accountability. These factors have led to a lot of public enterprises go into Obiwon, if the government has reorganization the role of accounting, all these feeble should not have risen. No enterprises can more forward without having a well organized financial department to give accurate financial, information about the firm. This is because if improper accounting records are not minimized or where possible eradicated these is bound to be cases of public enterprises failure. Consequently, staff of such enterprises will force out of their job. This will result to economic and social activities in the society.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
Obviously, every privates and public entries in Nigeria has their accounting department and there are increase cases of financial mismanagement in virtually all the public and private organization in Nigeria. The problem of this study lies on how the manages of these enterprises are able to recognizes the role of accounting in their enterprises so that these cases of improper accountability will be minimized or if possible its total eradication in our society.
1.3 PURPOSE OF STUDY
This study aims at investigating the role of accounting in the control of public enterprises in Nigeria. The purpose of this study include among others:
Ø To determine the extent to which accounting records has controlled the effect of expenditures in public enterprises.
Ø To find out factor that affects the accounting department preventing them from carryout their function as expected.
Ø To determine government policies which promote accountability in public enterprises in Nigeria.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
In this study, the researchers have set out to examine the role of accounting in the public sector in this country. Nigeria with the aid of highlighting the inherent problem encountered in the account department of most organizations. It is expected that this work will be of interest to the owners of business enterprises, the government, students and the general public.
To shareholders, owners of enterprise, interested persons and the government, this study is expected to en kindle their interest the more and they will take note of various recommendations mentioned here and help steer the management team towards forming a study organizations to present an accurate financial information of their firm.
This study will also help to serve as literature to individual or corporate bodies into want to carry on further research on the role of accounting in the public sector in Nigeria.
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. What extent does accounting records has control in affecting the expenditure of public enterprise?
2. What are the factors that affect accounting department of most organization which makes them not to function effectively as expected?
3. What are these governments polices which promote accountability in Nigeria public enterprises?
1.6 RESEARCH HYPOTHESES
This research hypothesis is to know the findings or result of this
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT Many Nigerians have been greatly concerned with the problem of Nigeria economy especially the persistent depreciation of the naira exchange r...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF STUDY In this dynamic world, the role of Banks, whether in a developed or developing economy consists of financ...Continue Reading »
3. APPRAISAL OF CREDIT CONTROL METHODS IN COMMERCIAL BANKS (A CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA PLC,)» ABSTRACT The objective of this project work is to provide an insight on the method of credit control in commercial banks. The findings are based on th...Continue Reading »
4. THE ROLE OF AN ACCOUNTANT IN THE POVERTY ALLEVIATION PROGRAMME OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT (A CASE STUDY OF ENUGU NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA).» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION The need to develop micro economic activities that could enhance self reliance as a strategy for educing poverty became p...Continue Reading »
5. IMPACT OF BUDGET AND BUDGETARY CONTROL TECHNIQUES IN AN ORGANIZATION (A CASE STUDY OF MINISTRY OF FINANCE, UYO)» ABSTRACT The sole aim of this study is to investigate into the uses of budget and budgetary control techniques in Ministry of Finance, Uyo. This study...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION. 1.1 Background to the study. Since the existence of human beings on earth after the creation phase, with the resources man f...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Natural resource conflicts are pervasive in Africa, and the West African sub region is not an exc...Continue Reading »
8. THE IMPACT OF EFFECTIVE BARGAIN FOR ACHIEVEMENT OF ORGANIZATIONAL GOALS (A CASE STUDY OF DELTA STATE STEEL COMPANY, OVWIAN ALADJA, WARRI)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1. BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Collective bargaining is regarded as the most important mechanism for reducing conflict. Here th...Continue Reading »
9. CHALLENGES OF INTERNAL AUDIT FUNCTION IN THE NIGERIAN PUBLIC SECTOR (A Case Study Of Kaduna State Ministry Of Finance)» ABSTRACT This research work deals with the challenges of internal audit function in the Nigerian public sector with reference to Kaduna state ministry...Continue Reading »
10. PETROLEUM PROFIT TAX AND CAPITAL EXPENDITURE OF THE NIGERIAN ECONOMY ( A CASE STUDY OF LAGOS STATE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 BACKGROUND OF STUDY For the development and growth of any economy, the provision of basic infrastructure is quite necessa...Continue Reading »