Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Corporate organizations owe a duty to fully disclose matters concerning their
operations so as to aid investors in making investment decisions because
Investment decision makers rely on information obtained from financial
statements to predict future rates of return. Without the financial statement,
there will be a problem of how to determine the profit of a company, and
evaluation of performance of a company. The general objective is to ascertain the
role of financial statement in investment decision making. The study will be based
on survey and questionnaire will be used to gather information. There is a total
population of 70 personnel but the sample size is 60 using Taro Yamane’s
formula. The methods used in analysing this study are simple percentage and chi-
square. We discovered from the test of hypotheses that financial statement is
relied upon in investment decision making and financial statements are useful for
forecasting company’s performance. Concluded was drawn based on the findings
that financial statement plays a vital role in investment decision making and
recommends that no investment decision should be taken without the
consideration of a company’s financial statements.
Corporate organizations owe a duty to fully disclose matters
concerning their operations so as to aid investors in making investment
decisions. Both large and small organizations in addition to satisfying
the legislating requirement tend to retain existing investors and to
attract potential ones through the publication of their financial
statements where the capital stock of a corporation is widely held and
its affairs are of interest to general public relations. The discussions and
illustrations of the study will be centered on the financial statement
presented to shareholders and also available for potential investors,
bond holders and trade creditors as a tool of information for
investment decision. Financial statement based on result on past
activities are analyzed and interpreted as a basis for predicting future
rate of returns and assessment of risk.
Financial statement provides important information for a wide
variety of decision, investors draw information from the statement of
the firm in whose security they contemplate investing. Decision makers
who contemplate acquiring total or partial ownership of an enterprise
expect to secure returns on their investment such as dividends and
increase in the value of their investment [capital gain]. Both dividends
and increase in the value of shares of company depends on the future
profitability of the enterprise. So investors are interested in future
profitability. Past income dividend data are used to forecast returns
from dividend and increase in share prices.
For the purpose of this research, first bank plc. Anyigba branch
kogi state is selected as a case study for academic purpose
According to google.com [electronic library] first bank of Nigerian
Plc. was established in 1894 as the first bank in Nigeria, a premier in
West African and the leading financial service solution provider in
Nigeria. From being the only bank for decades, weathered the banking
exposure of the 1930,s to 1950s followed by the era of government
ownership and control to a flurry consolidations and then gradual
growth in number banks up to the early 1980s, then yet another
industry growth spurt in early 1990s when the banking sector was
deregulated, leading to an industry shake-up in the late 1990s, which
reduced the number of banks from 126 to 77. At later resuscitation and
growth to 89 banks leading al through the seasons, first bank plc has
remained resilient dependably dynamic and truly the first.
Based on the researchers’ oral interview with the bank officials,
the Anyigba branch of first bank plc.was established in the then kwara
state in the 1978. They render other services than safe keeping of
money like giving loan to their customers and hire purchase. The
branch presently has about 288 customers.
1.2STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
It is observed that the role of financial statements in investment
decision making in Nigeria has some problems to both investors and
managers of business organizations who are either not aware of the
importance of interdependence relationship that exist between
investors and business organizations. Such problems include;
i.How analytical tools are set to aid prospective investors in
accessing the financial position of the corporate organization.
ii.Evaluation of performance of a company in investment decision
iii.How to determine the profitability of a company.
The above listed problems are the problems to look into in this
research work. The problems analyzed tend to scare away both existing
and potential investors. The reason of this study is to adequately look
into the above problems and suggest possible solution to any of them.
Nevertheless this research will find possible key factors to solving these
problems because financial statement in investment decision making in
Nigeria is the life blood of every organization to the potential investor.
1.3OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The general objective is to ascertain the role of financial
statement in investment decision making. The specific objective is as
i.To examine how a set of analytical tools will aid prospective
investors in assessing the financial position of the corporate
ii.To evaluate the performance of a company for investment
iii.To determine the profitability of the company.
iv.To appraise the fundamental use of financial statement
information, this is to provide information for investment decision
1.4 RESEARCH HYPOTHESE
Hypothesis according to the English dictionary is an unproved
theory, proposition sent forth as an explanation of something, often as
the basis for further investigation. Hypothesis is the guides for the
investigators in the entire process of research endeavor and they keep
the researcher on the main line of the study, in this research, the
following hypothesis are formulated for the study;
Ho; financial statements are not used to be relied upon in investment
decision making in a company.
H1; financial statement are used to be relied upon in investment
decision making in a company.
Ho; financial statements are not useful for forecasting company’s
H2; financial statements are useful for forecasting company’s
Ho; financial statement does not determine the profitability of a
H3; financial statement determines the profitability of a company.
Ho; financial statement does not project new investors.
H4; new investors are projected by financial statement.
According toUzoagulu [1998; 96], research questions guide the
researcher in constructing the questionnaires. Therefore the researcher
raised the following research questions to guide her in constructing her
questionnaire which are instruments in the study. The questions are as
i.To what extent is financial statements used in the investment
decision making in a company?
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. AGRICULTURAL CREDIT UTILIZATION AMONG SMALL-SCALE FARMERS IN BIDA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF NIGER STATE, NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 Introduction 1.0.1 Agricultural Development in Nigeria Agriculture has been the most important sector of the Nigerian Economy. It empl...Continue Reading »
2. THE RELEVANCE OF AUDIT COMMITTEE FUNCTIONS ON THE QUALITY OF FINANCIAL STATEMENT IN NIGERIA: USERS PERCEPTION» Abstract This project analyzes the relevance of audit committee functions on the quality of financial statement in Nigeria, the users’ perception. T...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Career selection is one of many important choices students make in determining future plans. This...Continue Reading »
4. THE ROLES OF ACCOUNTING FIRMS IN MONEY LAUNDERING IN NIGERIA (CASE STUDY OF ACCOUNTING FIRMS IN NIGERIA)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Money laundering poses a serious threat to individuals, businesses, financial systems, markets an...Continue Reading »
5. ANALYSIS OF FINANCIAL STATEMENTS AS AN AID TO MEANINGFUL INVESTMENT DECISION MAKING (A Case Study Of Investment Firms In Enugu State)» ABSTRACT The purpose of this research project was to find out how financial statement analysis service of our aid to meaning decision by investment fi...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACTThis study was to examine and find out the role of auditing on management’s control success with a particular reference to the Department of...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACTS The quality assessment of borehole and well waters from ten locations in Enugu urban area were studied and compared with World Health Organi...Continue Reading »
8. MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTING AND ITS APPLICATION TO ORGANISATIONAL, PLANNING, CONTROL AND DECISION MAKING (CASE STUDY OF NIGERIA BREWERIES PLC.)» ABSTRACT The main thrust of this study is to examine the application of management accounting and its application to organisational, planning, control...Continue Reading »
» Abstract Tourist destinations with better diverse attractions have become more important than individual attractions due to better highways over the p...Continue Reading »
10. FACTORS INFLUENCING STUDENTS’ ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT IN ACCOUNTING STUDIES AT SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL CERTIFICATE EXAMINATION IN ALIMOSHO EDUCATION DI...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to Study Teaching and learning process is a two way traffic where the teacher sends out the message while the ...Continue Reading »