Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 37 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 Background of the Study
Since 1979 Nigeria has been operating three level of government as a federation.
During the era of the parliamentary system of government, local government served as sub – division of the regional government. The 1979 constitution which ushered in a presidential system of government gain the impression that just as there was separation of government into federation state and local government. Therefore local government made up the state and the sate making a nation which is constituted by law and has substantial control of local affaires including the power to impose taxes for prescribed purpose.
From the description above a number of important factors could be seen very clearly that local government is a lower level of government compared to that of a federal government and at is setup by law and has certain responsibilities.
Whalen (1975) made additional contribution as to territory as to territory population and legal identity when he said that each unit of local government in any system is assumed to posse the following characteristic, given territory and population and institution structure a separated legal identities a range of power and function authorized by delegation from the appropriate central or intermediation legislature and lastly within the ambit of such delegation autonomy subject always to the test of reasonableness.
The 1999 constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria provided a federal system of government made up of federal government a sate government and 774 uniform local government for Nigeria.
Section 7 (2) (3) state the duty of local government council within the state. The fourth schedules of the constitution outline. The general function of local government. Thereby, ensuring that they were no longer solely of state affairs.
The 1999 constitution gave full impression that it had elevated local government to an independent third level of government. The constitution also provides that;
a. The national assembly shall make provision for statutory allocation of public revenue to local government council in the federation and.
b. The house of assembly of a state shall make provision for statutory allocation of public revenue to local government council within the state.
In Delta State, there exist twenty file local government among which is the Isoko North Local Government area and they are expected to carryout function such as making of recommendation to a state commission on the economic development of the areas, the collection rates of license, the construction and maintenance of road, street park market, shop provision and maintenance of primary education, the development of agriculture etc. as stipulated in the constitution. However, Isoko North Local Government of Delta State which is the area under review is not an exemption. The success or failure of local government of carrying out the above function effectively to a large extent depends on the internal revenue generated as well as the management of local government resource particularly their human resource.
House of assembly legislate for local government in Delta State by the provision of the constitution section on 7 (6) b. the house of assembly of a state shall make provision for statutory allocation of public revenue to local government council without the state including local government under review Isoko North.
1.2 Statement of Problems
Local government financial ought to be treated with paramount important finance is a major problem of local government administration especially in Nigeria. There is hardly enough fund to take care of all its activities while their areas of revenue base is always small.
Inadequacy of professional staff most of the local government are not properly trained in management local government affairs, fraud embezzlement and misappropriation of fund is a major problem in the operation of local government.
The future prospect in financing local government are provision of enough fund. Enough fund should be provided to the local government this would help to tackle most of the responsibilities facing then, for example in the provision of infrastructural facilities. Like roads, library service electricity also in – service training.
Most of the worker should be given the opportunity to further their training in local government administration auditing. Auditing should be done regularly in order to enhance efficient and sound financial management.
1.3 Objectives of the Study
The major objective of the study is to
1. Identify the general problems of local government financing (Isoko North Local Government Council) and highlight some of the ways in which the local government can boost their capacity to generate higher level of internal revenue.
2. Identify and analyzed the source of Isoko North Local Government revenue.
3. Identify some of the factor influencing effective avenue collection.
1.4 Significance of the Study
The study is of paramount significance in that the study will be of immense help and usefulness to the government individuals partnership, corporate organization, student, teachers, scholars and other researcher as it will provide useful information in effective policy formation and implementation, addition knowledge on problems and prospects in financing local government in Delta State.
1.5 Scope of the Study
The study is meant to cover isoko north local government area of delta state.
1.6 Limitation of the Study
Usually in a given study of this nature there is usually some constraints to the faced. First, time given for the project work was not enough to do extensive research on this topic and also scope of the work done, be that as it may be into available will be enough to achieve the desired objectives.
1.7 Research Methodology
The collection of data for this study was mainly from primary and secondary source, sample percentage method adopted as the major tool of data analysis.
1.8 Plan of the Study
The research work will be divided into (5) chapter as follow.
Chapter one: Contain introduction, statement of problem, purpose of the study, significant of the study, scope of the study, research methodology, limitation of the study and plan of the study.
Chapter two: This chapter deals mainly with literature review.
Chapter three: This chapter consist of research methodology.
Chapter four: The chapter deals with data presentation and analysis.
Chapter five: this chapter cover the summary of the research work, recommendation and conclusion.
1.9 Definition of Terms
Government: This can be defined as the process of governing the affairs of the country giving directive to the citizen on how to conduct themselves and avoid criminal Act and also protect their lives and property through good government.
Power: power is seen here as the ability of the government to influence or control the citizens.
National assembly: this is the upper house of the federal government which is vested with some government to make or amend law.
Inadequacy professional: staff: This means the lack of trained personnel vast in financial control in the local government.
Misappropriate of fund: This means the unexplained fund, thus goes out of the local government without properly audit by the auditor of the local government.
Revenue: those are income received by the local government from the state or federal government.
Local government: this is an orje, thus three fiers of government and it’s classification as government as grass rout level.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Given today complex and rapidly changing management climate, most large companies, major institut...Continue Reading »
2. THE IMPACT OF INTERNATIONAL FINANCIAL REPORTING STANDARDS IMPLEMENTATION ON THE COMPARABILITY OF FINANCIAL STATEMENTS (A CASE STUDY OF CHAMPIONS BREWE...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1Background of the Study In recent times, a number of Nigerian companies have raised capital from international capital mar...Continue Reading »
3. ASSESSMENT OF THE IMPACT OF INTERNAL CONTROLS ON FRAUD PREVENTION AND EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT OF BUSINESS ORGANIZATIONS (A STUDY OF NIGERIAN BOTTLING COM...» ABSTRACT The research examine “Assessment of the Impact of Internal Controls on Fraud Prevention and Effective Management”, A study of Nig...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Credit in deeper perspective conates different definitions depending on angle on which it is bein...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONEINTRODUCTIONThe applications of Accounting Information have contributed to the growth and development of every business entity. Non profit ...Continue Reading »
6. DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF E-LEARNING SYSTEM (A Case Study of the Department of Computer Science)» ABSTRACT The tremendous impact of electronic technology (like computer and computer embedded devices, computer networking, artificial intelligence, mu...Continue Reading »
7. THE IMPACT OF CULTURAL FACTORS ON THE IMPLEMENTATION OF GLOBAL ACCOUNTING STANDARDS IFRS IN NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY As globalization increases at a blistering pace, more and more business entities continue to get ...Continue Reading »
8. BENEFIT OF BUDGETING AS A MANAGEMENT TOOL IN ORGANIZATION A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIA BOTTLING COMPANY LTD» ABSTRACTThe study examined the benefit of budgeting as a managerial tool in an organization, which focus on Nigeria Bottling Company Plc. The survey m...Continue Reading »
9. BUDGETARY CONTROL A PANACEA FOR EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT DECISION MAKING (A CASE STUDY OF ETERNITY LTD SAPELE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Monetary and other financial sector policies is a fiscal programmed which perform specific role i...Continue Reading »
10. PUBLIC SECTOR ACCOUNTING ITS AFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF NSUKKA LOCAL GOVERNMENT FINANCIAL CONTROL SYSTE...» ABSTRACT One of the most researched and least understood variable public sector accounting is how the accountability and stewardship of financial cont...Continue Reading »