Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 79 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1 - 5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Questionnaire, Data Analysis,Abstract.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND INFORMATION
The history and importance of community based organization (CBO) in rural areas is a long one. They have been deeply involved in activities that have impacted on the livelihood of rural people. CBOs are formal voluntary social group that are found in communities which differ in size objective and degree of interaction among members. In these organizations, members have the ability to influence ideas and actions of others with the purpose to plan, implement and monitor social and economic development programmes and provide technical and financial helps to the communities. CBOs positively affect the process of rural change though increase in income, improvement of health, nutrition literacy of the people. Some of the developmental programmes they introduce bring changes in the rural communities such as health, education, micro finance, micro enterprise, sustainable agriculture, animal husbandry, safe water and sanitation (Wahab, 2000).
Agboola (1998) noted that successive Nigerian Government have responded to both rural and urban problems by evolving poverty alleviation programmes to help stir development but government top-down approach and lack of involvement of the people at he bottom up strategy have weakened the confidence of the people. Communities therefore seek solace in CBOs which pressurize government for attention to development problems in their communities and/or undertake development programmes and projects that they observe that are very much needed in their immediate communities.
The CBOs are associated with self-help (Ogundipe, 2003). They constitute the media for resource mobilization to confront local challenges. These include the finance and execution of projects, lobbying and nomination of representative to government offices to air their views and press their needs and developing human resources against future development needs of immediate communities. Thus, their impacts have been felt in the areas of agricultural development, economic development, policy matters, health, education, policy matters, health education, infrastructure, environmental and physical development among others. (Agboola, 1998).
Despite these accomplishments, many CBOs have risen and fallen like old empires, while some have had no significant impact since their establishment due to poor funding. This is so because CBOs in African’s communities are micro system within the macro environment that is afflicted by economic regression, low standard of living and poverty. There is therefore the need to appraise the socio economic status of existing CBOs in the communities of developing nations like Nigeria and identifying the degree of impact they have exerted on their physical or immediate environment.
1.2 Statement of problem
The failure of many government development programmes in Nigeria could be traced to poor organizational structure at the grassroots level. The rural people are isolated, under educated and lack the means to win greater access to resources and some basis things of life such as pipe-borne water, electricity, postal services, health care centres, good roads and schools. The fact has been established that the government is constrained in its efforts to provide citizens with the required social and basic amenities for comfortable living (Anyanwu, 1992). Perhaps, this is due to the increasing population, misappropriation of funds, increasing wage bills, poor transportation network among others.
It is the gap arising from poor performance of government and other institutional organization that led to the formation of community based organization as means of improving the socio economic status of their communities. CBOs serve as the apex organization by which community people can embark on small scale industries, vocational trade, agricultural development projects, rural transportation and other socio economic activities (Adejumobi 1991).
It is in view of these facts that CBOs have been established by various people, bodies or groups to complement the effort made by the government. This study therefore is designed to asses the role of community based organization in the development of rural communities in Delta State.
1.3 Objectives of the study
The main objective of the study is to examine the role of community based organization in the development of rural communities in Delta State. The specific objectives are to:
- Ascertain the characteristics of CBOs in Delta State
- Examine the structure of selected CBOs.
- Identify the contributions of the organizations to the development of rural communities which they operate.
- Identify the constraints encountered by the CBO.
1.4 Significance of the study
CBOs play a significant role in community development and these roles need to be clearly understood by the policy makers, government even potential members. This will gradually help in identifying the appropriate support needed by the CBOs in order to improve on community development activities, thereby improving the standard of living in communities and also reducing rural urban drift.
This study will go a long way to understanding the mechanism of CBOs projects with particular reference to the people of Delta State. Recommendations would be made to rural communities, government and non government organization with a view to stimulating community development
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. ASSESSMENT OF THE PERFORMANCE OF BAUCHI STATE CIVIL SERVICE ON SERVICE DELIVERY (FROM 2007 T0 2015)» ABSTRACT Civil service is a vital instrument to the survival of any governmental setting and indeed service delivery. The effectiveness and productivi...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 141 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION DEPARTMENT
2. ASSESSMENT OF THE CONTRIBUTIONS OF NON-GOVERNMENTAL ORGANIZATIONS (NGOs) ON WOMEN EMPOWERMENT IN OREDO AND ESAN NORTH-EAST LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREAS OF E...» ABSTRACT The global nature, incidence and the devastating effects of poverty has not only raised concerns within government circles, but equally among...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 132 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION DEPARTMENT
3. THE IMPACT OF POOR REVENUE GENERATION ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREAS» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Development is a sine qua non for modern civilization. In a crusade and struggle to carryout development at al...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 107 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION DEPARTMENT
4. THE EFFECT OF POLITICAL CORRUPTION ON NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT AND POLITICS» ABSTRACT The major purpose of this study was to examine the political corruption and its effect in the Nigerian government and politics. The study loo...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 56 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION DEPARTMENT
5. EFFECTIVE TEACHING OF HEALTH EDUCATION IN PRIMARY SCHOOLS (A CASE STUDY OF SELECTED SCHOOLS IN BWARI AREA COUNCIL, FCT-ABUJA)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY In developed and developing countries there are wide range of taxes and levies that affect indivi...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 57 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION DEPARTMENT
6. AN ASSESSMENT OF REPOSITIONING THROUGH RECAPITALIZATION OF BANKING SECTORS IN NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The Nigerian banking industry has witnessed tremendous changes and expansion since the mid 1980s....Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 93 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION DEPARTMENT
7. ELITE AND COMMUNAL CONFLICTS IN TARABA STATE: A PERCEPTION STUDY OF PEOPLE IN WUKARI AND TAKUM LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREAS» ABSTRACT This study examines the perception of people to Communal Conflicts and Elite interests in Taraba State with specific reference to Wukari and ...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 110 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION DEPARTMENT
8. THE IMPACT OF MOTIVATION ON THE PERFORMANCE OF CIVIL SERVICE IN NIGERIA» ABSTRACT This research examined the Impact of Motivation on Performance of Civil Service in Nigeria with special reference to Lagos State Ministry of ...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 66 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION DEPARTMENT
9. EVALUATION OF THE IMPLEMENTATION OF KANO STATE FOREIGN SCHOLARSHIP SCHEME ON MANPOWER CAPACITY BUILDING (2011-2015)» ABSTRACT Foreign scholarship programme is an important strategy for manpower capacity building and development. The Kano state government has sponsore...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 217 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION DEPARTMENT
10. MANAGING HIV\AIDS STIGMA IN THE WORKPLACE; CASE STUDY OF THE EASTERN CAPE DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of Study According to UNAIDS Report (2004), almost five million people became newly infected with HIV in 2003,...Continue Reading »
Item Type & Format: Project Material - Ms Word | 52 pages | Instant Download | Chapter 1-5 | PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION DEPARTMENT