Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
The research focuses on user education in academic libraries, using the federal college of education (Technical) Umunze as its case study. User education is an academic program that is designed by Universities and other higher institution to educate library users on how to effectively utilize library resources and services. This study was carried out using a descriptive survey method and questionnaire were also used, including interview for data collection. The population sample embraced 50 (30%) of respondents who were the staff of library, lecturers and students who are all users of the library. The research result is aimed at finding out the relevance and impact of user education for effective use of the library. It is basically on the knowledge in which users of library gets in educating them. How often they are being orientated, if they can be able to search information on their own after orientation or assistance. The study also pointed out the various problems associated with user education and also the ones faced by librarians who are meant to educate the users. The study also offered solutions. The project work is made up of five chapters, chapter one of this research deals with the aims and objectives of the study. The second chapter deals with the literature review. Chapter three is the research methodology, chapter four data presentation analysis and findings, while chapter five is summary, conclusion and recommendation.
1.1 Background of the study:
One of the fundamental laws of the library is that the resources (books and non-book) must be well consulted. The librarian has to acquire and provide access to information stocked in the library. The user is very important in the practice of librarianship, this is the library process revolves around the users.
The library provides user education in order to equip a user with enough knowledge on the use of library so as to enable them use the library resources effectively. The reason for the provision of user education in the library is that library processes could be so complex that an average user may not easily comprehend how to utilize the available resources. As a result of the era of information explosion in which we are, information is expending at a very fast rate and new resources are being introduced into the library (Aina, 2004). With the advent of information and communication technology (ICT), which has permeated all the activities of libraries, it is important to explain the working of a library to a new user in detail. The ultimate objective of any library is to enable users exploit its resources to the fullest.
Fjallbrant (1990), defines user education as: “the teaching of those skills that will enable students to locate and use materials effectively and feel confident in using the library.” Also, its aim is to acquaint users with the use of materials in the libraries. Similarly, Fleming (1990) defined user education as “various programmes of instruction, education and exploration provided by academic libraries to users to enable them to make effective, efficient and independent use of information sources and services to which these libraries provide access.”
Bello (2003) defined library user education as: “A device by the librarians to educate users on how to use the resources available in the library in a result oriented ways.” Thus its concerned with information retrieval, since the objectives of the user education in academic library according to Osagie (2003) are as follows:
· To enable users to know how to use the library catalogue independently in any library with particular reference to the author, title and subject catalogues.
· To enable users to understand the classification schemes in any library so as to be able to locate materials with little or no problem.
· To be able to see library catalogues as indexes to the entire collection and use them as such.
· To enable the users to see the library as a repository of knowledge that determines the success of the students academic programme because its not possible for an individual to have the collection of a library.
Students in Nigeria tertiary institutions are introduced to the use of library in one form or the other, in order that they might know what to consult in their quest for information. Today, most students in higher institute of learning find it difficult to explore the world of information sources in the library thus leading to poor appreciation of the library and its resources, which contributes to their inability to undergo meaningful researches or at best become poor library users. It is believed that a concerted effort to know and understand library more will eventually enable the individual to develop his/herself to the fullest potentials. This becomes very important as it will enable man to contribute effectively and positively to the development of the society at large.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF THE CASE STUDY LIBRARY, UMUNZE
The federal college of education (Technical) Umunze in Anambra state is one of the eight (8) colleges of education [technical] established by decree No. 4 of 14th March, 1986. At its inception, the college moved to Umunze in November 1989, following a presidential directive. At Umunze, the institution inherited buildings of the former All saint Anglican secondary school. At present, the infrastructures inherited from the present, the infrastructures inherited from the school are being renovated and refashioned, as it were, to reflect the grandeaur and convenience of a technical teacher institution.
The college was initially cited at Lomu in the North-eastern out skirt of Umunze town along way leading to Ogbunka and Owere-Ezukala all in Orumba South local Government Area of Anambra State, Nigeria. In 1999/2000, the administration of Dr. C.V. Nnaka (Mrs) made a deliberate effort to move the college to her permanent site at Nsogwu in the south central part of Umunze town with the erection of a gigantic building to house the school of Agric and Home economics education which has been accomplished. Lectures have already started at the permanent site.
The main college library was recently re-named PROF. BEN NWABUEZE LIBRARY which housed their collections in a gigantic story building with another bungalow building at the back housing their virtual centre. Their library opening hours are as follows:
Ø Monday –Friday 8am – 6pm
Ø Saturday 9am – 4pm
Ø Sunday 2pm – 6pm
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM:
The aim of this enquiry is to provide information for solving an identified problem confronting the society.
Difficulties of users in locating materials easily on the shelf, poor use of library tools by the users, problems encountered in retrieving required materials and inability of users and staff interaction.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
1. To find out how user education is conducted in federal college of education (technical) Umunze library.
2. To identify the causes of poor use of the library tools by users.
3. To assertain the effectiveness of user education in the library.
4. To create a positive attitude to information searching which will stimulate the user to make use of the resource available in different libraries which is determine with the help of staff.
5. To verify the level of user and staff interaction in the library.
6. To find out the students satisfaction about the programme.
1.4 SCOPE OF STUDY:
The researcher’s range of the study was concentrated on Umunze, a community in Orumba South local Government area Anambra state. Only the federal college of education (Technical) Umunze library was studied by the researcher using some of library users and the staff.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The library materials are not adequately utilize and most materials are lying dormant on the shelf which is as a result of library user not being able to use the library as required. The out come of this research work will leads to efficient, effective and continuous use of the library.
As regards to this project work, much time, money and energy will be duly employed for the successful outcome of this work.
1.6 RESEARCH QUESTIONS:
1. How often is user education conducted in federal college of education (technical) Umunze?
2. What are the causes of poor use of library tools by users?
3. How can the effectiveness of user education in the library be achieved?
4. To what extent can user education create a positive attitude to information searching in users?
5. How can the level of user and staff interaction in the library be determined?
6. To what extent can users satisfaction or user education programme be achieved?
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR LIBRARY INFORMATION SCIENCE FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. INFORMATION NEEDS AND ACCESS TO RURAL WOMEN FOR COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT IN ENUGU NORTH SENATORIAL ZONE OF ENUGU STATE» ABSTRACT The study examined the information needs and access to rural women for community development in Enugu North Senatorial Zone of Enugu State. S...Continue Reading »
2. INFORMATION NEED AND INFORMATION SEEKING BEHAVIOUR OF CHILDREN IN PUBLIC LIBRARIES (A CASE STUDY OF IMO STATE LIBRARY BOARD OWERRI)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1. BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY IMPORTANCE OF INFORMATION The researcher would want to begin this work with a survey of the impo...Continue Reading »
3. LIBRARY AUTOMATION, ELECTRONIC INFORMATION RESOURCES’ USE AND PERFORMANCE OF LIBRARIANS IN PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES IN SOUTH-WEST NIGERIA» ABSTRACT Librarians’ performance is meeting information needs of users by providing quality services and resources. Library automation afford great ...Continue Reading »
4. INFORMATION RETRIEVAL SYSTEMS IN ACADEMIC LIBRARIES (A CASE STUDY OF FEDERAL POLYTECHNIC, NEKEDE OWERRI)» ABSTRACT Information retrieval systems in libraries are basically systems that store record in a file for data relevant to each request, retrieve the ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study aims at finding the information retrieval system is basically a system that stores records in a file for data relevant to each req...Continue Reading »
6. ASSESSMENT OF REFERENCE AND INFORMATION SERVICES IN STATE TEACHING HOSPITAL MEDICAL LIBRARIES IN SOUTH EAST NIGERIA» ABSTRACT This project examine Reference and Information Services in State Teaching Hospital medical libraries in the South East Nigeria with a view to...Continue Reading »
» ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1.Background of the study Libraries are established either by the government, individuals or corporate organizations for th...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study examines cattle trade and its place in the development of Maigatari economy in Jigawa state, Nigeria between 1960 2010.It is an im...Continue Reading »
10. ICT COMPETENCIES OF LIBRARY STAFF AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ABUJA, FCT AND UNIVERSITY OF JOS, PLATAEU STATE.» ABSTRACT This study investigated the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) competencies of library staff in the University of Abuja, FCT and ...Continue Reading »