Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 53 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 Background of the study
Guidance and counseling are two closely interrelated concepts. According to Makinde (1984) and Patterson (1977) guidance refer to a broad area of all educational activities and services aimed at assisting individuals students to understand themselves and adjust to school life. Mutie and Ndambuki (1999) defined it as a learning – oriented process which occurs in an interactive relationship with the aim of helping the clients to learn about themselves. Guidance and counseling is therefore aimed at bringing about maximum development and self realization of human potential for the benefit of the individual and society. In schools, or any learning environment, the programme assists students in harmonizing their abilities understand values; also enable them to develop their full potential. The development of guidance and counseling originated from Europe and the united states of America in 1900`s while in Africa it was in the commencement of modern guidance and counseling can be traced back to 1958 when catholic reverend sister in St. Theresa’s collage Ibadan, recognized the need to give adequate career or vacation guidance to the final year students, the Reverend sister was assisted by Mrs. Oruwarige specialist and the other interested and enlightened members, who made their marks to give career talks on their professions to the final year students. At the end of the exercise, the outcome was encouraging, this was how guidance and counseling started in Nigeria, and the movement continues to various institutions and schools etc. Federal government appreciates the need for guidance and counseling services in our schools and reflected it on its National policy on Education (1981). This has helped to make all the state governments to establish guidance and counseling units in their ministries of Education, in addition to counseling units the university and other institution. Suffice to say that although guidance and counseling is relatively new to the Nigerian Education scene. It is gradually making its impact and still involving. It is also playing a great role in the implication of the ongoing 6-3-3-4 Education system. But, despite the implication of guidance and counseling in all the primary and post primary schools, it has been observed that the academic performance of our students, particularly in the public schools, seems to be declining, because of poor study habits among students. These necessitated the need to find out, if guidance and counseling can influence the academic performance of students in public secondary schools in Ibesikpo Asutan Local Government Area of Akwa-Ibom State, Nigeria. Verron, Adamson and Verron (1979), suggested that one of such variables that influence academic performance of students is their study habit. Usually students adopt various study habits but the strategic question is “how do these study habits relate to their academic performances”? Effective study simply means the application of one’s mind to the acquisition of knowledge with in-depth and methodical thinking and reflection, attentive observation and careful detailed investigation. Parents have the right to know how their children are doing in school. Truly one would expect their grades that can mean the difference between graduating and being left behind, between obtaining a well paid job and getting only a maximum wage. Again, many fresh entrants into the institutions of higher learning are posed with extensive reading tasks. While some may explore and acquire useful study techniques that would enable them cope appropriately with any given task, yet some others may device force and un-orthodox methods culminating in examination malpractices, to sorting etc, Therefore leaving the institution without acquiring any useful knowledge.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Poor academic performances among secondary school students, gives concern, this has a negative inflection on the various programs. The main concern is the role of guidance and counseling in facilitating the academic performance of secondary school students. Little information is available on the extent to which guidance and counseling has been used to assist in raising the academic performance of secondary school students. The problem of this study therefore is to determine the influence of guidance and counseling on students’ academic performance in secondary schools in Ibesikpo Asutan Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
This objective of this research geared towards finding solutions to the influence of guidance and counseling on academic performance of students in public secondary schools. Thus, the specific objectives of this research are:
1. To determine the influence of guidance and counseling on students’ established and realistic academic goals.
2. To ascertain the influence of guidance and counseling on students’ study habits
3. To ascertain the impact of guidance and counseling on students’ academic performance in mathematics, English Language etc.
4. To investigate if there is any significant relationship between guidance and counseling and student academic performance
For the successful completion of the study, the following research hypotheses were formulated by the researcher;
H0: There is no significant influence of guidance and counseling on students’ study habit.
H1: There is significant influence of guidance and counseling on students’ study habit.
H02: There is no significant influence on students’ academic performance based on the guidance and counseling
H2: There is significant influence on students’ academic performance based on the guidance and counseling
1.5 Significance of the Study
The finding of the study world shed light to educational stakeholders about the significance of guidance and counseling in upholding and promoting the academic performance of students. Some school Administrators in general would appreciate the importance of guidance performance among students and also encourage them to increase or put more effort for professionalism. The students will also benefits from the study by improving on their academic performance that well justify the commitments of huge portion of the nation’s scare resources to secondary education and also have focus in life and achieve their aims and objectives in life. It will be also, useful to the classroom teachers and counselors, to improve in his guidance and counseling services to the students.
SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The study covers the influence of guidance and counseling on academic performance of students in public secondary schools. The researcher encounters some constrain which limited the scope of the study;
a) AVAILABILITY OF RESEARCH MATERIAL: The research material available to the researcher is insufficient, thereby limiting the study
b) TIME: The time frame allocated to the study does not enhance wider coverage as the researcher has to combine other academic activities and examinations with the study.
c) Organizational privacy: Limited Access to the selected auditing firm makes it difficult to get all the necessary and required information concerning the activities.
DEFINITION OF TERMS
Guidance and counseling: These terms are used in the study to refer to counseling activities in schools, organized by professional schools counselors.
Establishment of Realistic Academic Goals: This is used in the study to refer to student’s ability to use the counseling services and plan academic programmes that would influence the student’s future aspirations.
Academic Performance: This is used in the study to refer the scores obtained by the student’s in achievement test on Mathematics, English Studies and basic Sciences.
1.8 ORGANIZATION OF THE STUDY
This research work is organized in five chapters, for easy understanding, as follows
Chapter one is concern with the introduction, which consist of the (overview, of the study), historical background, statement of problem, objectives of the study, research hypotheses, significance of the study, scope and limitation of the study, definition of terms and historical background of the study. Chapter two highlights the theoretical framework on which the study is based, thus the review of related literature. Chapter three deals on the research design and methodology adopted in the study. Chapter four concentrate on the data collection and analysis and presentation of finding. Chapter five gives summary, conclusion, and recommendations made of the study
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. MOTIVATIONAL STRATEGIES FOR EFFECTIVE TEACHING AND LEARNING IN SECONDARY SCHOOL (A CASE STUDY OF ONITSHA SOUTH SECONDARY SCHOOL)» ABSTRACT The study is an investigation into the motivational strategies for effective teaching and learning in secondary school. It provides a concept...Continue Reading »
2. TEACHERS’ ATTITUDE TOWARDS THE TEACHING OF CITIZENSHIP EDUCATION IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN ISIALA MBANO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF IMO STATE» ABSTRACT This study is aimed at investigating teacher attitude towards the teaching of citizenship education in secondary schools in Isiala Mbano Loca...Continue Reading »
3. THE INFLUENCE OF SCHOOL ENVIRONMENT ON ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT OF SECONDARY SCHOOLS STUDENTS IN KANKE LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF PLATEAU STATE, NIGERIA.» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The relationship between school environment and school academic achievement has been a perplexing...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The study is an appraisal of matrimonial disintegration, issues and prospect. Nigeria enacted the Matrimonial Causes Act in 1970 to regulate ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Traditionally and for the longest time, women have been viewed as child bearers and keepers of th...Continue Reading »
6. THE EFFECTS OF MOTHER TONGUE INTERFERENCE IN THE STUDY OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN ENUGU NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF ENUGU STATE» ABSTRACT The topic of the study is the effects of mother tongue in the study of English language in secondary school in Enugu North Local Government A...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION The role of technology in teaching and learning is rapidly becoming one of the most important and widely discussed issues in ...Continue Reading »
» Abstract This study is on student perception on difficult topics in integrated science at the junior secondary school. The total population for the st...Continue Reading »
9. INFLUENCE OF PEER GROUP ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF STUDENTS IN SOME SELECTED SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN OREDO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Peer group can simply be said to be people of the same age and ability that is people who are knitted together by a feeling d...Continue Reading »
10. SCHOOL COUNSELOR AND PRIMARY SCHOOL TEACHER PERCEPTION OF THE ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENT OF UBE AMONG STUDENT» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Education is very important for the development of individuals and the society. In realization of...Continue Reading »