Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-2 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 Background Of Study
Seed constitutes an important input in arable crop production. Without seeds, it would be virtually impossible to develop a stable agricultural system by man (Copeland, L.O, 2000). Poetically posits that “desolate indeed would be our world without seeds and without men’s propensity to culture them.” Thus, even if all other factors of production are available, meaningful crop production may be virtually impossible without viable seeds. And hence, seed has the most profound influence on crop yield because it is the carrier of genetic potential of crop plants, while other inputs simply build favorable environment for the manifestation of the genetic potential of the crop. Producing enough seed is one of the most diffi cult problems facing many countries.
According to Douglas, J.E, (2000) strongly asserts that a country’s seed programme takes a giant step towards success if it is able to fi nd answers to certain questions and establish clear policies on the seed industry. These questions are: should seeds be produced locally or imported? Who should produce the seed? How can a seed enterprise be started and who is involved in its management? Can foreign seed firms help get a commercial seed industry started? And what is actually involved in getting a seed industry started? In Nigeria, seed production for major crops is primarily a government undertaking. Private sector’s participation is limited to the commercial production of certified seeds of grains. In the public sector, the most important organizations responsible for the production and distribution of certified seeds are the National Seed Service (NSS) and the Agricultural Development Projects (ADPs). These organizations no longer undertake direct production of seeds but rely on the contract growers especially small farmers. The attainment of self-sufficiency in the production of basic staple food as well as agro-industrial raw materials depend mainly on the availability and widespread use of high quality, improved planting materials and other complementary inputs such as fertilizers and plant protection chemicals.
1.2 Statement Of The Problem
In Nigeria, various agricultural research institutes, through their breeding and crop adaptation programmes have made considerable studies over the years. For many of the most important food as well as industrial crops, improved varieties have been introduced (Shaib, B, 2007). The problem has been lack of effective, well co-coordinated seed multiplication and seed policy which would make it possible for improved seeds to replace the traditional, usually, retained by the farmers, and low yielding species grown by the farmers (Joshua, A., 2006). He further observed that the current production of improved seeds for different crops by public sector agencies in Nigeria is just about 8-12 percent of the total seed requirement
1.3 Aim And Objectives Of Study
The main aim of the paper is examine the trends of quality of seed production in Nigeria. Other specific objectives of the paper are:
1. to compare the difference in quality of seed production in Nigeria from previous to present year
2. to investigate on the factors affecting the quality of seed production
3. to determine the effect of coordinated seed multiplication and seed policy on seed production in Nigeria
4. to examine whether location have effect on seed production in Nigeria
5. to determine ways to enhance quality seed production
1.4 Research Questions
The paper came up with research questions so as to ascertain the above objectives. The research questions for the study are:
1. What is the difference in quality of seed production in Nigeria from previous years to present year?
2. What is the effect of coordinated seed multiplication and seed policy on seed production in Nigeria?
3. What are the factors affecting the quality of seed production?
4. Does location have effect on seed production in Nigeria?
5. What are the ways to enhance quality seed production?
1.5 Research Hypothesis
H0: there is no significant difference in quality of seed production in Nigeria from previous years to present year
H1: there is significant difference in quality of seed production in Nigeria from previous years to present year
1.6 Significance Of Study
The study on the trends of quality of seed production in Nigeria will be of immense benefit to the agricultural sector of Nigeria in the sense that the study will assess the seed production and also determine the effects of factors like location, nature of the soil and farm size on seed production in Nigeria. The study will serve as a repository of information to other researchers that desire a carry out similar studies on the above topics as the findings of the study will contribute to the body of the existing literature on seed production in Nigeria.
1.7 Scope Of Study
The study on the trends of quality of seed production in Nigeria will cover on data from certified seed production by formal seed producers using records of FMA on seed production, NASC records and GIS from 2010-2016
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. ANALYSIS OF COWPEA MARKETING AND PRICE TRENDS IN SOME SELECTED RURAL AND URBAN MARKETS IN KADUNA STATE, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT The study analyzed cowpea marketing and price trend in some selected rural and urban markets in Kaduna State, Nigeria. A multi stage sampling...Continue Reading »
2. ECONOMIC ANALYSIS OF POULTRY-EGG PRODUCTION IN BAUCHI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, BAUCHI STATE, NIGERIA.» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Poultry refers to all birds of economic value to man as source of meat, egg and fibre. Egg produc...Continue Reading »
3. THE APPLICATION OF COMPUTER TECHNOLOGY ON THE INVENTORY CONTROL SYSTEM AS A PRODUCTIVITY IMPROVEMENT STRATEGY IN NIYYA FARMS NIGERIA LIMITED KADUNA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND TO THE CASE STUDY The advent of computer technology has boost production of both domestic and industrial activitie...Continue Reading »
4. LIVELIHOOD DIVERSIFICATION UTILIZED BY RURAL DWELLERS IN NSIT IBOM LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF AKWA IBOM STATE» ABSTRACT Comparative Analysis compares two or more languages with common descent from a shared ancestor feature by feature, in order to extrapolate ba...Continue Reading »
5. COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF TECHNICAL EFFICIENCIES OF BROILER AND EGG PRODUCTION ENTERPRISES IN BAYELSA STATE, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT The study comparatively analysed the technical efficiencies of broiler and egg production enterprises in Bayelsa State, Nigeria. A multistage...Continue Reading »
» Abstract This study focused on the analysis of farmer‘s efficiency in cowpea production in Kwara State.This study was carried out in three Local...Continue Reading »
7. EFFECTS OF OFF-FARM WORK ON TECHNICAL EFFICIENCY AND PRODUCTION RISK AMONG RICE FARMERS IN ENUGU STATE, NIGERIA.» ABSTRACT The study analysed the effects of off farm work on technical efficiency and production risks among rice farmers in Enugu State, Nigeria. Nine...Continue Reading »
8. ECONOMIC ANALYSIS OF MAIZE (Zea mays) PRODUCTION IN SOBA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF KADUNA STATE, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT The objectives of this study are to describe the socio economic characteristics of maize farmers, costs and returns, and identify the constra...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Environmental degradation has become important global issues since the 1970s, when the world coun...Continue Reading »
10. MANAGEMENT OF RISK IN AGRICULTURAL FINANCING (A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIA AGRICULTURAL AND COMMERCE BANK PLC, ENUGU BRANCH)» CHAPTER ONE 1. INTRODUCTION1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Agriculture has been the main stay of Nigerian economy before the Nigeria independence until th...Continue Reading »