Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This research work has seriously analyzed procurement act and its impact on the accountability of officers in public sector in Nigeria. Where the data was collected and used for the compilation of this research. An introduction was made which comprises the statement of general problem, the background of the subject matter, objectives of the study and the significance of the study. Existing literature on procurement act, Concept of Public Procurement, Procurement Units, Public Procurement Act 2007, some management function were also discussed and reviewed. Random Sampling method was used as the basis of this study. A sample size of 30 out of total populations of 80 was selected. The research work shows that procurement act 2007 in the ministry of education is always influenced or rather ineffective. The study recommends that due process should be complied with in order to enhance procurement act and accountability in ministry of education. Also total commitment of the entire staff of ministry of education
CHAPTER I: Introduction
1.1 Background of the Study
This study intends to shed more light on the impact of public procurement act on the accountability of procurement officers in public sector in Kaduna state ministry of education and how it contribute positively towards the conservation of resources in a services organization.
However, the researcher feel it would be of great importance to conduct a detailed study on the procurement process or system used by the services organization and the impact of federal government procurement act on the accountability of procurement officers in the public sector.
Base on wide spread corruption, conducting government business degenerated so much by the year 2000. This was due to the fact that no serious attention was paid to public service rule.
Financial regulations ethics and norms because of selfish reasons. The federal government noted the urgent need to transparency in government procedure so as to be able to move the system forward. Hence, the federal government in 2000 commissioned the world bank to collaborate with some private sector specialist to study financial systems and general procurement related activities in the country. The essence of this request to the world bank is to assist Nigerian government with a process of enthroning efficiency, accountability, integrity and transparency in government procurement and financial management system.
It was based on this that the country procurement assessment report was produced through a participatory review approach from key stakeholders including representative from private and the federal, state and local government with assistance from international and national consultants.
1.2 Statement of the Problems
A diagnostic study conducted in 2001 in to the state of federal government public procurement revealed that Nigeria may have lost trillions of naira over the last two decades because of flagrant abuse of procedures for the award of public contracts, inflation of contracts costs, lack of transparency, lack of competence based competition and merit as the fundamental criteria for the award of public contracts. The finding of the study made it imperative that the country urgently reform its procurements system, if the country is to reduce the large scale corruption and waste that had reduced the efficiency of the Nigeria public sector
Most organization lost a lot of money annually through all kind of manipulation of the procedure for the award of contracts and supply of materials.
Ministries and government agencies has been facing difficulties in the award of contract due to lack of due process in the agencies.
Federal government preferment act on the accountability of procurement officers in public sector is a vital tool in any fine-tuning organization either service or profit oriented organization. But it has been observed that its importance and role which can lead to efficiency had not yet been appreciated in most Nigeria ministries today.
1.3 Objective of the Study
The main rational of this study is to appraise the procurement act and its impact on the accountability of officers in public sector.
These objectives are as follows:
- To evaluate the procurement act as it relates to providing fair opportunities to suppliers through bidding in a competitive environment for all government business.
- To evaluate the contributions /impact of the act towards reducing and eliminating corruption in the procurement process and earn the respect of the public and supplier.
- To examine the contribution of the act toward Quality control and assurance
- To evaluate the contributions of the procurement act towards budget monitoring and control.
1.4 Significance of the Study
The research work will critically concern with the impact of procurement act on the accountability of procurement officers in public sector which is essential things in the government ministries for the award of public contract. It is imperative to note that this research work will be beneficial
The importance of the research work base on its benefit, there will be ultimate to the organization itself and students of purchasing and supply department at large.
Significantly the researcher hope that this research work will provide the organization with a meaningful and useful source of information in to guess to embark on procuring and award of contracts.
Organization will benefit from the research finding and recommendation in the process of awarding contract and procurements
It will also be useful to subsequent researcher and student who may wish to conduct further research in this field, it will served as data base for further study.
It is a requirement in partial fulfillment for the award of a Higher National Diploma in Purchasing and Supply of Kaduna Polytechnic.
1.5 Research Questions
1. How do the procurement act provide fair opportunity to suppliers in the competitive market environment.
2. What are the impact of the procurement act towards reducing corruption in the award of public contract.
3. What are the contribution of the procurement act of quality control and assurance.
4. What are the relevance of procurement reforms act to subject monitoring and control.
1.6 Scope of the Study
This study does answer to all problems related to the federal government procurement act rather its limited to it chosen narrow area of accountability of procurement officers, its fairness, integrity and basis of effective control in public sector
Since the researcher is concerned with federal government procurement act on the accountability of procurement officers in the public sector particularly Kaduna state ministry of education.
1.7 Definition of Terms
The terms used in the course of the researchers project are however defined as follows for easy understanding.
Procurement: This is the acquisition of goods services or works from an external source.
Procurement: Means acquisition
Procurement Proceeding: Means the initiation of the process of effecting a procurement up to award of procurement contract.
Procurement entity: Means any public body engaged in procurement and it include a ministry extra-ministerial office, government agency, parastatals and corporation.
Public procurement: Means the acquisition by any means of goods, works or services by the government.
Public accountability: The obligations of public enterprises and agencies (who are entrusted with public resources) to be answerable for fiscal and social responsibilities, to them.
Due process: It is a mechanism for ensuring strict compliance with the openness, completion and cost accuracy, rules and procedures that should guide contract award within the federal republic of Nigeria (BMPIU 2005)
Relevant Authority: It includes economic and financial crimes commission (EFCC) and independent corrupt practices commission (ICPC).
Public Procurement Act: It is the act enacted by the national assembly
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. ASSESSMENT THE DEGREE OF EFFECTIVENESS OF OUTSOURCED FACILITY MANAGEMENT IN NIGERIA OIL AND GAS FIRMS OF THE DOWNSTREAM SECTOR USING USER SATISFACTION...» ABSTRACT The Oil and Gas industry continues to struggle in finding a balance between rising global demand, diminishing known resources and in maintain...Continue Reading »
69 pages | 0 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study The major objective for the establishment of selected Public Teaching Hospitals separate from con...Continue Reading »
105 pages | 122 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» ABSTRACT The researcher looked into the impact of privatization on Nigeria money market with the Central Bank of Nigeria as the case study. For the pu...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 458 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
4. THE EFFECT OF FIRMS CHARACTERISTICS ON REAL EARNINGS MANAGEMENT IN THE LISTED INDUSTRIAL GOODS FIRMS IN NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the study Accounting information has been the major input in capital allocation decisions of investors and ...Continue Reading »
113 pages | 137 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
5. MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTING TECHNIQUES IN MANUFACTURING FIRMS (A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIA BREWERIES PLC. ABA)» ABSTRACT This project attempts to establish the vital role which management Accounting techniques play in manufacturing firms , A case study of Nigeri...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 0 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
6. EVALUATION ON THE EXPERIENCES OF PROCUREMENT OFFICIALS ON THE NATURE AND EXTENT TO WHICH PROCUREMENT PROCESSES IN NIGERIA EMBRACES SUSTAINABILITY CONS...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background Sustainable procurement could be described as an acquisition process whereby public and private organizations ...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 187 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
7. THE IMPACT OF PUBLIC SECTOR ACCOUNTING IN NIGERIA FINANCIAL CONTROL SYSTEM (A CASE STUDY OF ESAN SOUTH EAST LOCAL GOVERNMNENT AREA, EDO STATE).» ABSTRACT This research was aimed at finding out the impact of public sector accounting in Nigeria financial control system using Esan south east local...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 349 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Value Added Tax (VAT) was introduced in Nigeria by the report of a study group set up by the fede...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 195 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
9. THE EFFECT OF CASHFLOW ON CONTRACT DELIVERY IN NIGERIA COST CONTROL TECHNIQUES AND THEIR IMPACT ON CONSTRUCTION PROJECT DELIVERY IN NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The construction projects are complex and risky, and it is a great employer of labour. Contractor...Continue Reading »
69 pages | 473 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
10. LOAN SYNDICATION AS AN ALTERNATIVE BUSINESS FINANCING STRATEGY IN NIGERIA (A Case Study Of Union Bank Of Nigeria Plc New Market Road Onitsha)» PROPOSAL LOAN SYNDICATION AS AN ALTERNATIVE BUSINESS FINANCING STRATEGY IN NIGERIA. Lack of fund has been one of the major problems militating against...Continue Reading »
81 pages | 215 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING