Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This research work has seriously analyzed procurement act and its impact on the accountability of officers in public sector in Nigeria. Where the data was collected and used for the compilation of this research. An introduction was made which comprises the statement of general problem, the background of the subject matter, objectives of the study and the significance of the study. Existing literature on procurement act, Concept of Public Procurement, Procurement Units, Public Procurement Act 2007, some management function were also discussed and reviewed. Random Sampling method was used as the basis of this study. A sample size of 30 out of total populations of 80 was selected. The research work shows that procurement act 2007 in the ministry of education is always influenced or rather ineffective. The study recommends that due process should be complied with in order to enhance procurement act and accountability in ministry of education. Also total commitment of the entire staff of ministry of education
CHAPTER I: Introduction
1.1 Background of the Study
This study intends to shed more light on the impact of public procurement act on the accountability of procurement officers in public sector in Kaduna state ministry of education and how it contribute positively towards the conservation of resources in a services organization.
However, the researcher feel it would be of great importance to conduct a detailed study on the procurement process or system used by the services organization and the impact of federal government procurement act on the accountability of procurement officers in the public sector.
Base on wide spread corruption, conducting government business degenerated so much by the year 2000. This was due to the fact that no serious attention was paid to public service rule.
Financial regulations ethics and norms because of selfish reasons. The federal government noted the urgent need to transparency in government procedure so as to be able to move the system forward. Hence, the federal government in 2000 commissioned the world bank to collaborate with some private sector specialist to study financial systems and general procurement related activities in the country. The essence of this request to the world bank is to assist Nigerian government with a process of enthroning efficiency, accountability, integrity and transparency in government procurement and financial management system.
It was based on this that the country procurement assessment report was produced through a participatory review approach from key stakeholders including representative from private and the federal, state and local government with assistance from international and national consultants.
1.2 Statement of the Problems
A diagnostic study conducted in 2001 in to the state of federal government public procurement revealed that Nigeria may have lost trillions of naira over the last two decades because of flagrant abuse of procedures for the award of public contracts, inflation of contracts costs, lack of transparency, lack of competence based competition and merit as the fundamental criteria for the award of public contracts. The finding of the study made it imperative that the country urgently reform its procurements system, if the country is to reduce the large scale corruption and waste that had reduced the efficiency of the Nigeria public sector
Most organization lost a lot of money annually through all kind of manipulation of the procedure for the award of contracts and supply of materials.
Ministries and government agencies has been facing difficulties in the award of contract due to lack of due process in the agencies.
Federal government preferment act on the accountability of procurement officers in public sector is a vital tool in any fine-tuning organization either service or profit oriented organization. But it has been observed that its importance and role which can lead to efficiency had not yet been appreciated in most Nigeria ministries today.
1.3 Objective of the Study
The main rational of this study is to appraise the procurement act and its impact on the accountability of officers in public sector.
These objectives are as follows:
- To evaluate the procurement act as it relates to providing fair opportunities to suppliers through bidding in a competitive environment for all government business.
- To evaluate the contributions /impact of the act towards reducing and eliminating corruption in the procurement process and earn the respect of the public and supplier.
- To examine the contribution of the act toward Quality control and assurance
- To evaluate the contributions of the procurement act towards budget monitoring and control.
1.4 Significance of the Study
The research work will critically concern with the impact of procurement act on the accountability of procurement officers in public sector which is essential things in the government ministries for the award of public contract. It is imperative to note that this research work will be beneficial
The importance of the research work base on its benefit, there will be ultimate to the organization itself and students of purchasing and supply department at large.
Significantly the researcher hope that this research work will provide the organization with a meaningful and useful source of information in to guess to embark on procuring and award of contracts.
Organization will benefit from the research finding and recommendation in the process of awarding contract and procurements
It will also be useful to subsequent researcher and student who may wish to conduct further research in this field, it will served as data base for further study.
It is a requirement in partial fulfillment for the award of a Higher National Diploma in Purchasing and Supply of Kaduna Polytechnic.
1.5 Research Questions
1. How do the procurement act provide fair opportunity to suppliers in the competitive market environment.
2. What are the impact of the procurement act towards reducing corruption in the award of public contract.
3. What are the contribution of the procurement act of quality control and assurance.
4. What are the relevance of procurement reforms act to subject monitoring and control.
1.6 Scope of the Study
This study does answer to all problems related to the federal government procurement act rather its limited to it chosen narrow area of accountability of procurement officers, its fairness, integrity and basis of effective control in public sector
Since the researcher is concerned with federal government procurement act on the accountability of procurement officers in the public sector particularly Kaduna state ministry of education.
1.7 Definition of Terms
The terms used in the course of the researchers project are however defined as follows for easy understanding.
Procurement: This is the acquisition of goods services or works from an external source.
Procurement: Means acquisition
Procurement Proceeding: Means the initiation of the process of effecting a procurement up to award of procurement contract.
Procurement entity: Means any public body engaged in procurement and it include a ministry extra-ministerial office, government agency, parastatals and corporation.
Public procurement: Means the acquisition by any means of goods, works or services by the government.
Public accountability: The obligations of public enterprises and agencies (who are entrusted with public resources) to be answerable for fiscal and social responsibilities, to them.
Due process: It is a mechanism for ensuring strict compliance with the openness, completion and cost accuracy, rules and procedures that should guide contract award within the federal republic of Nigeria (BMPIU 2005)
Relevant Authority: It includes economic and financial crimes commission (EFCC) and independent corrupt practices commission (ICPC).
Public Procurement Act: It is the act enacted by the national assembly
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. FINANCIAL STATEMENT FRAUD IN AN ORGANIZATION: ISSUES AND SOLUTION( A CASE STUDY OF FIRST CITY MONUMENT BANK)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM The current business environment and even more economic recession, have in recent times pushed t...Continue Reading »
2. THE IMPLEMENTATION OF STANDARD COSTING AND VARIANCE ANALYSIS IN NIGERIA MANUFACTURING FIRMS (A CASE STUDY OF FIG BREWERY LIMITED, UMUNEDE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Cost accounting in a specials branch of accounting that serve in both external and internal. In e...Continue Reading »
3. PERSONAL INCOME TAX PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS IN AKWA IBOM STATE (A STUDY OF BOARD OF INTERNAL REVENUE)» ABSTRACT Taxation is a fiscal measures used by government to control the economy as well as raise funds for infrastructural development, level up inco...Continue Reading »
4. EFFECTIVE INTERVAL CONTROL MEASURES AS TOOLS FOR TRANSAPARENCY, PROFITABILITY AND ACCOUNTING IN THE MANAGEMENT OF PUBLIC RESOURCES» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Back ground of the study Recent reported cases of multibillion dollar fraudulent corporate accounting and reporting scand...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Usability is the extent to which a product can be used by specific users to achieve specified goals with effectiveness, efficiency, and satis...Continue Reading »
6. IMPACT OF CORPERATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY ON THE PERFORMANCE OF LISTED DEPOSIT MONEY BANKS IN NIGERIA» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title Page i Declaration ii Approval page iii Dedication iv Acknowledgement v Table of Content vi Abstract viii CHAPTER ONE INTRODUC...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE BACK GROUND TO THE STUDY Bank was first introduced by early goldsmith in the olden days, the goldsmith kept the valuable asset of people. ...Continue Reading »
8. THE ROLE OF RATIO ANALYSIS IN BUSINESS DECISIONS A CASE STUDY OF O. JACO BROS. ENT. (NIG.) LTD., ABA, ABIA STATE» ABSTRACT Accounting information provided by means of financial statements The income statement and the Balance Sheet are often in summarized form. Vie...Continue Reading »
9. THE ROLE OF INTERNAL AUDIT ON MANAGEMENT CONTROL SUCCESS (CASE STUDY OF MINISTRY OF FINANCE, AKWA IBOM STATE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study The last decade has witnessed several accounting scandals and corporate failures that were blamed...Continue Reading »
10. CAUSES AND EFFECTS OF COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN IN AN ORGANIZATION (A case study of champions breweries Uyo Akwa Ibom State)» ABSTRACT The study intends to determine the importance of communication in enhancing an effective management undertaking which is for the generality o...Continue Reading »