Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This research work has seriously analyzed procurement act and its impact on the accountability of officers in public sector in Nigeria. Where the data was collected and used for the compilation of this research. An introduction was made which comprises the statement of general problem, the background of the subject matter, objectives of the study and the significance of the study. Existing literature on procurement act, Concept of Public Procurement, Procurement Units, Public Procurement Act 2007, some management function were also discussed and reviewed. Random Sampling method was used as the basis of this study. A sample size of 30 out of total populations of 80 was selected. The research work shows that procurement act 2007 in the ministry of education is always influenced or rather ineffective. The study recommends that due process should be complied with in order to enhance procurement act and accountability in ministry of education. Also total commitment of the entire staff of ministry of education
CHAPTER I: Introduction
1.1 Background of the Study
This study intends to shed more light on the impact of public procurement act on the accountability of procurement officers in public sector in Kaduna state ministry of education and how it contribute positively towards the conservation of resources in a services organization.
However, the researcher feel it would be of great importance to conduct a detailed study on the procurement process or system used by the services organization and the impact of federal government procurement act on the accountability of procurement officers in the public sector.
Base on wide spread corruption, conducting government business degenerated so much by the year 2000. This was due to the fact that no serious attention was paid to public service rule.
Financial regulations ethics and norms because of selfish reasons. The federal government noted the urgent need to transparency in government procedure so as to be able to move the system forward. Hence, the federal government in 2000 commissioned the world bank to collaborate with some private sector specialist to study financial systems and general procurement related activities in the country. The essence of this request to the world bank is to assist Nigerian government with a process of enthroning efficiency, accountability, integrity and transparency in government procurement and financial management system.
It was based on this that the country procurement assessment report was produced through a participatory review approach from key stakeholders including representative from private and the federal, state and local government with assistance from international and national consultants.
1.2 Statement of the Problems
A diagnostic study conducted in 2001 in to the state of federal government public procurement revealed that Nigeria may have lost trillions of naira over the last two decades because of flagrant abuse of procedures for the award of public contracts, inflation of contracts costs, lack of transparency, lack of competence based competition and merit as the fundamental criteria for the award of public contracts. The finding of the study made it imperative that the country urgently reform its procurements system, if the country is to reduce the large scale corruption and waste that had reduced the efficiency of the Nigeria public sector
Most organization lost a lot of money annually through all kind of manipulation of the procedure for the award of contracts and supply of materials.
Ministries and government agencies has been facing difficulties in the award of contract due to lack of due process in the agencies.
Federal government preferment act on the accountability of procurement officers in public sector is a vital tool in any fine-tuning organization either service or profit oriented organization. But it has been observed that its importance and role which can lead to efficiency had not yet been appreciated in most Nigeria ministries today.
1.3 Objective of the Study
The main rational of this study is to appraise the procurement act and its impact on the accountability of officers in public sector.
These objectives are as follows:
- To evaluate the procurement act as it relates to providing fair opportunities to suppliers through bidding in a competitive environment for all government business.
- To evaluate the contributions /impact of the act towards reducing and eliminating corruption in the procurement process and earn the respect of the public and supplier.
- To examine the contribution of the act toward Quality control and assurance
- To evaluate the contributions of the procurement act towards budget monitoring and control.
1.4 Significance of the Study
The research work will critically concern with the impact of procurement act on the accountability of procurement officers in public sector which is essential things in the government ministries for the award of public contract. It is imperative to note that this research work will be beneficial
The importance of the research work base on its benefit, there will be ultimate to the organization itself and students of purchasing and supply department at large.
Significantly the researcher hope that this research work will provide the organization with a meaningful and useful source of information in to guess to embark on procuring and award of contracts.
Organization will benefit from the research finding and recommendation in the process of awarding contract and procurements
It will also be useful to subsequent researcher and student who may wish to conduct further research in this field, it will served as data base for further study.
It is a requirement in partial fulfillment for the award of a Higher National Diploma in Purchasing and Supply of Kaduna Polytechnic.
1.5 Research Questions
1. How do the procurement act provide fair opportunity to suppliers in the competitive market environment.
2. What are the impact of the procurement act towards reducing corruption in the award of public contract.
3. What are the contribution of the procurement act of quality control and assurance.
4. What are the relevance of procurement reforms act to subject monitoring and control.
1.6 Scope of the Study
This study does answer to all problems related to the federal government procurement act rather its limited to it chosen narrow area of accountability of procurement officers, its fairness, integrity and basis of effective control in public sector
Since the researcher is concerned with federal government procurement act on the accountability of procurement officers in the public sector particularly Kaduna state ministry of education.
1.7 Definition of Terms
The terms used in the course of the researchers project are however defined as follows for easy understanding.
Procurement: This is the acquisition of goods services or works from an external source.
Procurement: Means acquisition
Procurement Proceeding: Means the initiation of the process of effecting a procurement up to award of procurement contract.
Procurement entity: Means any public body engaged in procurement and it include a ministry extra-ministerial office, government agency, parastatals and corporation.
Public procurement: Means the acquisition by any means of goods, works or services by the government.
Public accountability: The obligations of public enterprises and agencies (who are entrusted with public resources) to be answerable for fiscal and social responsibilities, to them.
Due process: It is a mechanism for ensuring strict compliance with the openness, completion and cost accuracy, rules and procedures that should guide contract award within the federal republic of Nigeria (BMPIU 2005)
Relevant Authority: It includes economic and financial crimes commission (EFCC) and independent corrupt practices commission (ICPC).
Public Procurement Act: It is the act enacted by the national assembly
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT The micro organism, associated with spoilage of tomatoes shows that tomato contain large amount of water which makes them more susceptible to...Continue Reading »
2. CRITICAL EXAMINATION OF THE ROLE AND IMPORTANCE OF AUDITING TO BUSINESS GROWTH (A CASE STUDY OF SETRACO CONSTRUCTION COMPANY, PATANI, DELTA STATE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study In every enterprise, decisions are made about how ro maximized the use of resources. The resource...Continue Reading »
3. IFRS ADOPTION AND VALUE RELEVANCE OF ACCOUNTING INFORMATION: A STUDY OF LISTED INSURANCE FIRMS IN NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Accounting literatures on value relevance research dates back to early 1960s with the remarkable ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER 1: Introduction 1.1 Background of the study Inventory is a primary part of many of today’s businesses. Essentially, stock is the storage of ...Continue Reading »
5. AN APPRAISAL OF THE IMPLICATION OF ELECTRONIC BANKING IN NIGERIA BANKS (A CASE STUDY OF ACCESS BANK)» CHAPTER TWO REVIEW OF RELATED LITERATURE Electronic banking in Nigeria has overtime been viewed by many especially economists as having a lot of impli...Continue Reading »
6. FORENSIC ACCOUNTING AS A TOOL FOR FRAUD DETECTION AND PREVENTION ( A CASE STUDY OF ETI OSA LOCAL GOVT:» ABSTRACT This study was intended to evaluate the extent to which forensic accounting can be used as a tool in fraud detection. This study was guided b...Continue Reading »
7. BUDGETARY CONTROL A PANACEA FOR EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT DECISION MAKING (A CASE STUDY OF ETERNITY LTD SAPELE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Monetary and other financial sector policies is a fiscal programmed which perform specific role i...Continue Reading »
8. MAINTAINING AND UPGRADING SOLAR POWER SYSTEM THAT IS INSTALLED IN ELECTRICAL MACHINE, ELECTRONICS AND POWER LABORATORY IN ORDER TO PROVIDE CONSTANT PO...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO STUDY The term “Renewable energy” covers all forms of energy generated from natural resources s...Continue Reading »
9. THE EFFECT OF GLOBALIZATION ON BANKING OPERATION IN NIGERIA. (A CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK NIGERIA PLC.)» ABSTRACT The barking industry has witnessed landmark improvements in series delivery and the practice of banking due to globalization of banking opera...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study focus on corruption and economic crimes in the public sector with a particular reference to ministry of finance, Lagos state. The ...Continue Reading »