Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 80 pages long and it is in MS Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Questionnaire, Data Analysis,Abstract.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
BACKGROUND OF STUDY
An attempt will be made in this introductory chapter to give a general outline of bad debts in micro finance banks.
Schall and Harley (1987) in Anolve (2001) defines finance as a body of facts, principals and theories dealing with raising and using funds, it is said to be operating in the area of finance banks and other financial institutions that provides financial services.
Both debts can be defined as those debts which are not recoverable. Fit is a credit review which are not recoverable. It is a credit review borrower from a pure lender who may be a formal or informal financial institution against on borrowers promises to make future payments. When a company grants credit to its customers, there are usually a few customers who do not pay. The account of such customers are called bad debts and are at expense of selling on credit. You might ask why do merchants swell on credit if bad debts result? The answer is that they sell on credit in order to increase sale and profit. They are willing to take a reasonable loss from bad debts in order to increase sale and profits. Therefore, bad debts, loses are incurred in order to increase the full or partial recovering is considered doubtful and uncertain.
In Nigerian context, there has been increased bad and doubtful trends of debts in the banks, however, banks and their shareholders, government officials and most Nigerians have shown a lot of concern to bad debts. In this country by making pronouncement and insisting on the need to arrest the situation by proclaiming that who evergrants an irrecoverable loan will be made to repay.
The regulatory and supervisory guard lines for Micro Finance Banks in Nigeria (2005) defines Micro Finance Banks(MFB) as any company licenses to carry on the business of providing micro finance services that are needed by the economically active poor, Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises to conduct on expand their business provision of Micro credit is one of the vital function of Micro Finance Banks.
Generally, a Micro credit is granted to the operator of the micro enterprises such as peasant farmers, artisans, fishermen, rural women, etc. The definition also apply to credit delivered to the poor. Like in other business to bankers aim is to maximize profit for the interest of the shareholders and unlike in other. The bankers aim to maintain liquidity for interest of the deposit. These two aims cannot follow the same direction when a bank tries to be specifically liquid by investing on at most short term securities which means undertaking loss or lost or risk. At this point, the changes of bad debts occurrence will fall to its lowest minimum.
On the other hand, when bankers try to maintain profitability by investing on its least long term securities which undertakes more risks, investments certainly will be fortail liquidity because almost all the investments will take not less than one year to be repaid. At this point, the case of bad debt occurrence will rise to higher maximum. When a bank strikes a balance between profitability and liquidity, there is every tendency of this bad debt occurrence. The management of bad debts resulting from commercial banks and advance reflecting on degree of risk associated with lending has necessitated the adoption of this project.
STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS
In 2005, The Federal Government, through policy guardlines established Micro Finance Banks (MFB)in replacement of community Banks, But most huge amount of money they lose through bad debts. The implication is that there is no more confidence on some bank customers who have calculated scientific ways of defrauding the banks.
Liquidity in banking sector also makes banking unable to meet repayment obligations severe cases, there are introduction of technology insolvency. These situations were brought about by the following among others.
- Indiscriminate and unprofessional lending practices.
- Poor Management which finances long-term loans assets with short term inabilities.
The problem therefore is to attempt to examine the debt management techniques of the named banks and suggest ways for a healthy and efficient debts portfolio management.
PURPOSE OF STUDY
The purpose of this study is to ascertain the procedure for management of bad debts in Micro Finance Banks (MFB), especially the purpose of the study is to:
- Ascertain the effective credit and bad debts management on Micro Finance Banks
- To identify the danger signals on bad debts and doubtful debts in Micro Finance Banks
- To examine causes of bad debts on Micro Finance Banks
- To ascertain the implication of huge bad debts on Micro Finance Banks
SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
The study will go a long sway in considering bad debts, how it can be managed and come out with good recommendation, which will help in reducing due incidence of bad debts and its effects on. In general, (Micro Finance Banks of Anambra State) The study will provide the following vital reference points.
- Bank officials: It will provide them with information on tending policy and how to manage their credit effectively and how they can control their credits effectively and how they can control incidence of bad debts in their institutions.
- Student Banking And Finance: The study will definitely provide students with enough material knowledge on debt management.
- Banking Public: This study provides the banking public with information on banking public and credit advances.
SCOPE OF STUDY
The scope of this study or research will enter on the investigation with the problem into the debt management with particular reference to micro finance banks in Anambra state. This work is limited to Micro Finance Banks in order to ensure us get authentic information or data as regards the operation of debt management.
- What are the major goals of credit and bad debts in Nigeria Micro Finance Banks?
- What are the danger signals on bad and doubtful debts?
- What are the causes of bad debts in Nigerian Micro Finance Banks?
- What are the implications of bad debts in Micro Finance Banks?
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ECONOMICS FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of Study One of the fundamental human rights of the people in any given state is the right to security and this is...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study finds out the Causes of the Ineffectiveness of the Cooperative Sector in Developing the Economy. The design chosen for this study ...Continue Reading »
3. THE IMPACT OF ASSET LIABILITY MANAGEMENT (ALM) ON NON-INTEREST INCOME STRUCTURE OF DEPOSIT MONEY BANKS (DMBs) IN NIGERIA» ABSTRACT The study aims at examining the impact of Asset Liability Management on non interest income structure of Deposit Money banks in Nigeria for t...Continue Reading »
4. THE ROLE OF INTERNAL CONTROL SYSTEM IN REVENUE GENERATION IN ORGANIZATION (CASE STUDY OF SOME BANKS IN NIGERIA)» ABSTRACT The objective of this study was to evaluate the role internal control system in revenue generation in organization in some selected bank, zen...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study The Emergence of the Global Financial Meltdown The global economy has been hit by the worst econo...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT One can hardly find a country without monetary policy. As a matter of fact, monetary policy has gained a solid ground in the Nigerian economy...Continue Reading »
7. ECONOMETRICS ANALYSIS ON THE MONTHLY INCOME GENERATED FROM SALES OF LEGEND GUILDER, AND MALTINA DRINKS IN NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Econometrics can be described as a branch of social science that deals with the measurement of economic relationship. Thi...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study empirically examined the impact of external trade on economic growth of Nigeria between the period 1980 2013. The study employed O...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 BACKGROUND OF STUDY For the development and growth of any economy, the provision of basic infrastructure is quite necessa...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Housing remains to be a critical and essential sector for nearly all economies around the world as it has connections with several other sect...Continue Reading »