Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 185 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦7,000
This study analyses the coverage of the Boko Haram insurgency by DailyTrust, Leadership, Vanguard and Punch newspapers and examines its implications for conflict-sensitive journalism in Nigeria. The objectives are to determine the consistency of the newspapers’ coverage of the Boko Haram insurgency with conflict-sensitive journalism and the framing of identity and motive of Boko Haram. The study also examines the treatment recommendations offered by the newspapers and the areas of salient emphasis. The study combines content analysis and in-depth interview methods to obtain relevant data. Framing theory was adopted. Findings reveal that Nigerian journalists are not fully adopting conflict-sensitive journalism in their reportage. It also shows that the identity of Boko Haram is Islamist sect with the motive of establishing an Islamic state. It indicates that the major solution is fighting the insurgents and the perceived risk is the collapse of the economy. The study concludes that the coverage of Boko Haram by the Nigerian newspapers is sensational, war-inclined and falls short of the solution-driven approaches encouraged in conflict-sensitive journalism. The study recommends that Nigerian journalists should increase their knowledge of the conflict-sensitive journalism so that they can make important contributions in finding solutions to the problem of Boko Haram insurgency.
1.1 Background to the Study
Ever since the inception of democracy in Nigeria, people have been expressing divergent views on its
benefits. To some, it is a threat to the security of their lives and property, while those that are key
participants in the polity recognize it as suitable for the country. Knowing the importance of peace
for the citizens, studies on insurgency have attracted experts’ attention whose literature has been of
help to policy makers both governmental and nongovernmental to strategize plans against Boko
Haram. Notwithstanding the universality of terrorists’ activities in many parts of the world, to
Nigerians, Boko Haram’s bomb attacks are the first of its kind, therefore becoming difficult to tackle.
In the words of Ojo (2011) commenting on the Nigeria’s security challenges in this democratic
setting, the greatest security challenge facing President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration is the
imposing impunity of terrorist activities of the Boko Haram, an Islamic fundamentalists based in
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR MASS COMMUNICATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. INFLUENCE OF OWNERSHIP IN RADIO NEWS COVERAGE (A STUDY OF FEDERAL RADIO CORPORATION OF NIGERIA, ENUGU)» TABLE OF CONTENTSDeclaration iiCertificate iiiDedication ivAcknowledgment vTable of contents viList of tables ixAbstract xCHAPTER ONEINTRODUCTION1.1 b...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study The public service media in Nigeria aims to produce high quality content, make it available acros...Continue Reading »
3. THE ROLE OF THE MASS MEDIA IN PROMOTING ANTI-CORRUPTION CAMPAIGNS: A CONTENT ANALYSIS OF THISDAY AND DAILY TRUST COVERAGE OF EFCC AND ICPC RELATED ISS...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Mass media provide information for people at large so that there is acceptance of an idea to crea...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study examined how conflicting editorial policy is managed by journalists in Radio Nigeria Network Centre, Abuja. It argues that, confli...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Communication is widely used in running almost all the organizations effectively. Effective commu...Continue Reading »
6. AUDIENCE PERCEPTION OF AFRICA INDEPENDENT TELEVISION (AIT) COVERAGE OF POLITICAL NEWS PROGRAMS IN ENUGU METROPOLIS» Abstract The aim of this study is to investigate Audience perception on coverage of political news programmes of Africa independent Television (AIT) i...Continue Reading »
» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title Page 1 Declaration ii Certification iii Dedication iv Acknowledgments v Table of Contents vi viii List of Tables ix Abstract x...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Television as a mass medium of communication has become a very important and most effective medium of communication ever ...Continue Reading »
9. PATTERN OF LISTENERSHIP OF QUEST FM RADIO ENLIGHTENMENT PROGRAMMES ON RURAL WOMEN OF DELTA STATE,NIGERIA» ABSTRACT This project has been written to help the reader or students especially students of mass communication to have a better understanding on the ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study investigates how excellence theory is being applied in the public relations practice of Kaduna polytechnic. Excellence theory is a...Continue Reading »