Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 26 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This study was designed to determine the perceived impact of print media as indices of sports development in Nigeria using The Sun Newspaper as a case study. The purposive and random sampling techniques were adopted in selecting four hundred and eighty (150) respondents made up of sports journalists and stakeholders in the sports industry, descriptive research design with a self-structured questionnaire was used for data collection. The chi-square (χ2) was used to test the hypothesis at 0.05alpha level. The analysis revealed that the two variables were indices of sports development.
1.1 Background of the Study
The most important change that has taken place in the sport industry is the significant role the media is playing in the development of sports all over the world. Apart from the fact that the media has increased sports awareness and spectatorship among peoples of the world, it has also increased revenue generation which has enriched the various sports stakeholders. The media has been playing a catalyst role for the identification and the promotion of knowledge, information and understanding in a nation (Alimi, 2003). The mass media is regarded as the means of communication through which a large number of people could be reached. These include, newspapers, television, radio, films, handbills, posters, computer and internet (Hornby 1985).
The mass media [sharpens and re-orders] the perceptions of the readers and viewers in a particular event or happenings in the society and contributes to a reservoir of knowledge of the past and current events. Acosta (2002) pointed out that competitive sports would only survive and develop with the cooperation of the media. It is for this reason that sports
must enjoy good relationship with the press, radio, and television. The relationship should be effective, continuous, personal and open.
Nigeria was created on May 27, 1967 when the restructuring of Nigeria into twelve states took place. Many media organizations have sprung up in Nigeria and because of the economic status of Nigeria and its status as the former capital of Nigeria. The presence of many media organizations in Nigeria has confirmed her being acclaimed to be the seat of journalism in Nigeria. In essence then, it is the state where sports journalism thrives.
There is no doubt that Nigeria has witnessed tremendous development in the area of sports most especially when compared to other countries in Africa. Sports have permeated the Nigerian society through the efforts, activities and commitments of Nigerian sports journalists.
This study, therefore, was set to determine the perceived impact of print media as indices for sports development in Nigeria.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
The following are the problems that lead to the study of this project;
1. What impact do the print media have on development of sport in Nigeria?
2. What is the evolution of sport journalism in Nigeria and how can it be traced to the Sun Newspaper?
3. What are the relationship between the mass media and sport organization in the country?
1.3 Objective of the Study
The objective of this project work is to examine the role of the Nigeria print media in the development of sport in the country.
The study will examine the problems faced by the print media in the country and will also look into the relationship of print media and the sport agencies in the country.
1.4 Research Questions
The study attempted to provide answers to the following questions:
1. To what extent does the impact of sports journalism on awareness be perceived as an index of sports development in Nigeria?
2. Will the impact of sports journalism on spectatorship be perceived as an index of sports development in Nigeria?
3. What role does the print media plays in the development of sport in Nigeria?
4. To what extent do people respond to the sport section of Nigerian Newspaper?
5. To what do activities of sports journalists created awareness in people for sport?
1.5 Statement of Hypothesis
For the purpose of this research project, the following hypothesis was formulated.
Ho: The print media contribute to the development of sport in Nigeria.
Hi: The print media does not contribute to the development of sport in Nigeria.
1.6 Significant of the Study
The importance of this study was to determine the perceived impact of Print media in sports development in Nigeria, using The Sun Newspaper as a Case Study
It will enable the sport stakeholders to be well aware of the role that newspaper can play in development of the sport industy thereby creating interest in them to engage in co-invest with the print media.
It also educates the sport fans, student, worker and the general public about the role of the print media in the effective development of Sport in the country.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR MASS COMMUNICATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION The main aim of this project is to discuss about the impact of the internet on journalism to the citizenry, is also going to ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study The invention of electronic devices such as modern communication hard wares, internet service and...Continue Reading »
3. INFLUENCE OF INFORMATION SOURCES ON KNOWLEDGE, ATTITUDE AND PRACTICE OF EXCLUSIVE BREASTFEEDING AMONG NURSING MOTHERS IN MINNA, NIGER STATE» ABSTRACT Over time information concerning exclusive breastfeeding has been passed to nursing mothers. This suggests that several information sources s...Continue Reading »
» Table of ContentsTitle pageDeclarationCertificationDedicationAcknowledgementTable of ContentsList of TablesAbstractCHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION1.1 Backgr...Continue Reading »
5. ROLE OF THE TRADITIONAL TOWN CRIER IN MOBILIZING ADAZI-NNUKWU COMMUNITY IN ANAOCHA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA FOR DEVELOPMENT» TABLE OF CONTENTSTitle Page iDeclaration iiCertification Page iiiDedication ivAcknowledgements vTable of Contents viList of Tables xAbstract xiCHAPTER...Continue Reading »
» Abstract The study seeks to assess the social media perception and usage among students of Nigerian universities. Three research questions guided the ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 Background to the study The personal and unique character of radio makes it one of the most appealing and universal mass ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Commercialization of news began in Nigerian media houses as a result of the Structural Adjustment Programme (SAP) introduced in 1986 and the ...Continue Reading »
9. ROLE OF PUBLIC RELATIONS IN NON COMMERCIAL ORGANIZATION (A CASE STUDY OF GUIDANCE COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT FOUNDATION)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study For many non commercial organizations, public relations, whether to recruit volunteers, publicize...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Watching movies has become a common phenomenon among adolescents due to the technological advancement of media tools which are easily accessi...Continue Reading »