The Complete Project Research Material is averagely 26 pages long and is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters. Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References Level : BTech/BSc/BA/HND/ND.
Get the complete project »
This study was designed to determine the perceived impact of print media as indices of sports development in Nigeria using The Sun Newspaper as a case study. The purposive and random sampling techniques were adopted in selecting four hundred and eighty (150) respondents made up of sports journalists and stakeholders in the sports industry, descriptive research design with a self-structured questionnaire was used for data collection. The chi-square (χ2) was used to test the hypothesis at 0.05alpha level. The analysis revealed that the two variables were indices of sports development.
1.1 Background of the Study
The most important change that has taken place in the sport industry is the significant role the media is playing in the development of sports all over the world. Apart from the fact that the media has increased sports awareness and spectatorship among peoples of the world, it has also increased revenue generation which has enriched the various sports stakeholders. The media has been playing a catalyst role for the identification and the promotion of knowledge, information and understanding in a nation (Alimi, 2003). The mass media is regarded as the means of communication through which a large number of people could be reached. These include, newspapers, television, radio, films, handbills, posters, computer and internet (Hornby 1985).
The mass media [sharpens and re-orders] the perceptions of the readers and viewers in a particular event or happenings in the society and contributes to a reservoir of knowledge of the past and current events. Acosta (2002) pointed out that competitive sports would only survive and develop with the cooperation of the media. It is for this reason that sports
must enjoy good relationship with the press, radio, and television. The relationship should be effective, continuous, personal and open.
Nigeria was created on May 27, 1967 when the restructuring of Nigeria into twelve states took place. Many media organizations have sprung up in Nigeria and because of the economic status of Nigeria and its status as the former capital of Nigeria. The presence of many media organizations in Nigeria has confirmed her being acclaimed to be the seat of journalism in Nigeria. In essence then, it is the state where sports journalism thrives.
There is no doubt that Nigeria has witnessed tremendous development in the area of sports most especially when compared to other countries in Africa. Sports have permeated the Nigerian society through the efforts, activities and commitments of Nigerian sports journalists.
This study, therefore, was set to determine the perceived impact of print media as indices for sports development in Nigeria.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
The following are the problems that lead to the study of this project;
1. What impact do the print media have on development of sport in Nigeria?
2. What is the evolution of sport journalism in Nigeria and how can it be traced to the Sun Newspaper?
3. What are the relationship between the mass media and sport organization in the country?
1.3 Objective of the Study
The objective of this project work is to examine the role of the Nigeria print media in the development of sport in the country.
The study will examine the problems faced by the print media in the country and will also look into the relationship of print media and the sport agencies in the country.
1.4 Research Questions
The study attempted to provide answers to the following questions:
1. To what extent does the impact of sports journalism on awareness be perceived as an index of sports development in Nigeria?
2. Will the impact of sports journalism on spectatorship be perceived as an index of sports development in Nigeria?
3. What role does the print media plays in the development of sport in Nigeria?
4. To what extent do people respond to the sport section of Nigerian Newspaper?
5. To what do activities of sports journalists created awareness in people for sport?
1.5 Statement of Hypothesis
For the purpose of this research project, the following hypothesis was formulated.
Ho: The print media contribute to the development of sport in Nigeria.
Hi: The print media does not contribute to the development of sport in Nigeria.
1.6 Significant of the Study
The importance of this study was to determine the perceived impact of Print media in sports development in Nigeria, using The Sun Newspaper as a Case Study
It will enable the sport stakeholders to be well aware of the role that newspaper can play in development of the sport industy thereby creating interest in them to engage in co-invest with the print media.
It also educates the sport fans, student, worker and the general public about the role of the print media in the effective development of Sport in the country.
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR MASS COMMUNICATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. PERFORMANCE AUDIT OF THE MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS STRATEGIES OF SELECTED PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES IN SOUTH-WEST, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT The Nigerian university educational system was liberalised in 1999 and this led to the establishment of private universities. To promote thei...Continue Reading »
201 pages | 34 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
2. ANALYSIS COMPARATIVE OF THE PERFORMANCE OF JOURNALISTS IN GOVERNMENT AND PRIVATE OWNED MEDIA ORGANISATIONS» ABSTRACT This research work is aimed at finding the journalist that is freer between those in private and government owned media organizations, using ...Continue Reading »
57 pages | 158 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
3. EFFECT OF SOCIAL MEDIA HEALTH COMMUNICATION ON KNOWLEDGE, ATTITUDE AND INTENTION TO ADOPT HEALTH-ENHANCING BEHAVIOUR AMONG UNDERGRADUATES IN LEAD CITY...» ABSTRACT Studies have shown that the burden of non communicable diseases such as diabetes, cancer, and hypertension is on the increase in Nigeria. Ade...Continue Reading »
174 pages | 26 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
» TABLE OF CONTENTSTitle Page iCertification iiDeclaration iiiDedication ivAcknowledgements vTable of Contents viAbstract xCHAPTER ONEINTRODUCTION1.1 Ba...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 84 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
5. COMMUNICATION AS A TOOL FOR ENHANCING ORGANIZATIONAL PERFORMANCE (A STUDY OF NIGERIAN BREWERIES PLC, 9TH MILE ENUGU)» Table of contentsTitle Page iApproval Page iiCertification iiiDedication ivAcknowledgments vTable of Contents viList of Tables ixAbstract xCHAPTER ONE...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 64 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY This work is designed to study how rural dwellers utilize radio in comparison with television mes...Continue Reading »
93 pages | 108 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Crime remains pervasive and forever strives to hide itself in the face of development. As measures an...Continue Reading »
47 pages | 374 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
8. IMPLEMENTATION OF THE NATIONAL HIV AND AIDS BEHAVIOUR CHANGE COMMUNICATION STRATEGY, 2009-2014 IN THE PREVENTION OF HIV AND AIDS IN NIGERIA» ABSTRACT Since the first case of HIV and AIDS in Nigeria, and the epidemics continually evolved with, Nigeria having a pathetic situation of fluctuati...Continue Reading »
87 pages | 21 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
» ABSTRACT This study investigated internet usage, and academic performance of university of Uyo students. Internet today, enables information sharing a...Continue Reading »
77 pages | 116 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
» CHAPTER ONE GENERAL INTRODUTION 1.0 Background of the study The most basic and most valuable possession of man is language. Language is important in t...Continue Reading »
49 pages | 43 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION