Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 106 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦7,000
The thesis entitled “A Morphological Analysis of Loan Words among Yoruba Speakers of English in Kaduna Metropolis” is a documentation and analysis of some English, Hausa and Arabic loan words in Yoruba language. The study is propelled by the following observations: that a large part of the vocabulary of the Yoruba Language are loan words from other languages particularly the English, Hausa and Arabic languages due to language contact in a heterogeneous society, that these loan words are basically as a result of the need for new designations and identity and that these loan words have been domesticated and are generally used by the Yoruba speakers according to their profession, religion and even their level of literacy in Kaduna metropolis. The work therefore, finds out the extent to which language contact through Urbanisation has influenced loaning of words and how some words have been integrated into the vocabulary of the speakers and hence give some forms of identity. The source of data for the research is primary source which involves the participant observation method and tape recording of utterance. The researcher discovered that there are very many English, Hausa and Arabic loan words in the Yoruba language and that in the course of integrating these loan words, they (the loan words) experienced adjustment in line with the morphophonemic rules of the Yoruba Language. This study will help to understand the learning problems of students of English Language, teach Yoruba speakers of English better and how the issue of inter language and hence inter lingual errors or even errors arising from interference can be tackled.
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Many children born in Nigerian urban areas are exposed to two to more languages because of the heterogeneous nature of the cities/towns. One of such languages is the language of the environment; the other may be their mother tongue L1, English language which is the official language of the country and bits of Arabic language which is the language of Islam. That is if Islam is one of the predominant religions in the metropolis.
Kaduna metropolis used by the researcher as the scope is a cosmopolitan
city and hence heterogeneous in nature. This influences language use
among the speakers in the metropolis due to the contact of different
languages. A child born in this environment is exposed to a minimum of two other languages aside his mother tongue. They include Hausa (language of the e
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ENGLISH LITERARY STUDIES FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. HISTORICISM AS A LITERARY DISCOURSE: A STUDY OF ISIDORE OKPEWHO’S THE LAST DUTY, ELECHI AMADI’S SUNSET IN BIAFRA AND BIYI BANDELE’S BURMA BOY» ABSTRACT This study deploys Historicism as a literary discourse to the analysis of the selected writings of Isidore Okpewho, Elechi Amadi and Biyi Ban...Continue Reading »
95 pages | 0 hits | Source: ENGLISH LITERARY STUDIES
2. PRAGMATIC ANALYSIS OF OLISA METUH'S DYSPHEMISMS AGAINST PRESIDENT MUHAMMADUBUHARI'S ADMINISTRATION» CHAPTER ONE Introduction 1.1 Background to the study Varied researches on the use of language has made language users understand the fact that there i...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 273 hits | Source: ENGLISH LITERARY STUDIES
» CHAPTER ONE GENERAL INTRODUCTION 1.0 INTRODUCTION This project is aimed at highlighting the problems faced by the Atyap learner of English. The Advanc...Continue Reading »
57 pages | 183 hits | Source: ENGLISH LITERARY STUDIES
» CHAPTER ONE GENERAL INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Language is an important tool in the entire existence of man, because it aids communicati...Continue Reading »
48 pages | 355 hits | Source: ENGLISH LITERARY STUDIES
5. THE STRUCTURE AND COMMUNICATIVE FUNCTIONS OF NIGERIAN ENGLISH AND ITS IMPLICATIONS ON TEACHING WRITING SKILLS AT THE SSS LEVEL» ABSTRACTEnglish as it is spoken in Nigerian (Nigerian English) has been localized or internalized, so to say. This has led a unique brand of English i...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 189 hits | Source: ENGLISH LITERARY STUDIES
» ABSTRACT Nupe is a minority language spoken by the Nupe ethnic group in Nigeria. The morphology of Nupe has so far not been studied adequately in a wa...Continue Reading »
132 pages | 63 hits | Source: ENGLISH LITERARY STUDIES
» ABSTRACT This research work is divided into five sections. Section 1 5 and are referred to as Chapters wheel the last part deal with bibliography. The...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 416 hits | Source: ENGLISH LITERARY STUDIES
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Due to the volatility in the political terrain in African states, migration of the citizenry has ...Continue Reading »
77 pages | 120 hits | Source: ENGLISH LITERARY STUDIES
» ABSTRACT This research work is based on the importance of indigenous language in broadcast media. This project therefore clamoured for the development...Continue Reading »
69 pages | 314 hits | Source: ENGLISH LITERARY STUDIES
10. A SOCIO-PRAGRAMATIC STUDY OF AMA ATTA AIDOO’S CHANGES AND CHIMAMANDA ADICHIE’S HALF OF A YELLOW SUN» ABSTRACT Gender and language differences are integral field of study in sociolinguistics that accounts for the way language is used in the society and...Continue Reading »
101 pages | 94 hits | Source: ENGLISH LITERARY STUDIES