Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 106 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦7,000
The thesis entitled “A Morphological Analysis of Loan Words among Yoruba Speakers of English in Kaduna Metropolis” is a documentation and analysis of some English, Hausa and Arabic loan words in Yoruba language. The study is propelled by the following observations: that a large part of the vocabulary of the Yoruba Language are loan words from other languages particularly the English, Hausa and Arabic languages due to language contact in a heterogeneous society, that these loan words are basically as a result of the need for new designations and identity and that these loan words have been domesticated and are generally used by the Yoruba speakers according to their profession, religion and even their level of literacy in Kaduna metropolis. The work therefore, finds out the extent to which language contact through Urbanisation has influenced loaning of words and how some words have been integrated into the vocabulary of the speakers and hence give some forms of identity. The source of data for the research is primary source which involves the participant observation method and tape recording of utterance. The researcher discovered that there are very many English, Hausa and Arabic loan words in the Yoruba language and that in the course of integrating these loan words, they (the loan words) experienced adjustment in line with the morphophonemic rules of the Yoruba Language. This study will help to understand the learning problems of students of English Language, teach Yoruba speakers of English better and how the issue of inter language and hence inter lingual errors or even errors arising from interference can be tackled.
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Many children born in Nigerian urban areas are exposed to two to more languages because of the heterogeneous nature of the cities/towns. One of such languages is the language of the environment; the other may be their mother tongue L1, English language which is the official language of the country and bits of Arabic language which is the language of Islam. That is if Islam is one of the predominant religions in the metropolis.
Kaduna metropolis used by the researcher as the scope is a cosmopolitan
city and hence heterogeneous in nature. This influences language use
among the speakers in the metropolis due to the contact of different
languages. A child born in this environment is exposed to a minimum of two other languages aside his mother tongue. They include Hausa (language of the e
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ENGLISH LITERARY STUDIES FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT Oral literature is an unwritten relation that encapsulates African values and aspiration through which their philosophy, customs, beliefs, hi...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE GENERAL INTRODUCTION 1.0 BACKGROUND TO STUDY The English language in Nigeria is older than the Nigerian nation. It was formally introduced...Continue Reading »
3. A PSYCHOANALYTIC READING OF TONI MORRISON‟S A MERCY AND GLORIA NAYLOR‟S THE WOMEN OF BREWSTER PLACE AND MAMA DAY» ABSTRACT The study of Psychoanalysis over the years has helped to reveal the relation between the mind, language and personality trait which are not e...Continue Reading »
4. THE ATTITUDE OF STUDENTS TOWARDS ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND THEIR ACTUAL PERFORMANCE IN ENGLISH EXAMINATION» Abstract This research is an attempt to find out the attitude of students towards English Language and how it affects their actual performance in Engl...Continue Reading »
5. A PEDAGOGICAL ANALYSIS OF TEACHING ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE: A CASE STUDY OF SELECTED WORKS OF FAROOQ KPEROGI'S PAGE IN THE SUNDAY TRUST NEWS P...» ABSTRACT This study aims to present a particular view of second language pedagogy. Teaching English as a second language is a quite complex task for a...Continue Reading »
6. EFFORTS OF SOME NIGERIAN FEMALE WRITERS WHO USE THEIR PROACTIVE WRITING TO AGITATE FOR CHANGE IN THE ADVERSE CULTURAL FORCES THAT MILIATE AGAINST ANY...» INTRODUCTION The earliest novelist in Africa were men before the advent of female writers in the scene. Then, the male writers portray women as instru...Continue Reading »
7. THE MANIFESTATION OF NON STANDARD USAGE OF ENGLISH AMONG UNIVERSITY STUDENTS: THE SYNTACTIC PERSPECTIVE» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 Introduction Language is characterized by set of vocal sounds which can be decoded. These are produced by human organs of speech lips,...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This work is a study of ideology and its workings in two Nigerian Newspapers: The Guardian and Daily Trust using Modality as the analytical e...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The problem of performance evaluation is a hydra headed monster that affects business growth because of non existence of evaluation process i...Continue Reading »
» INTRODUCTION African men started writing novels ahead of the female writers, the male writers believe that women are instruments of are instruments of...Continue Reading »