The Complete Project Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters. Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
Get the complete project »
1.1 Background to the Study
The responsibility of training a child always lies in the hands of the parents. This is congruent with the common assertion by sociologists that education can be an instrument of cultural change which is being taught from home. It is not out of place to imagine that parental economic background can have possible effects on the academic achievement of children in school. Whatsoever affect the development environment of children would possibly affect their education or disposition to it. Parental status is one of such variables. When a woman’s nutritional status improves, so too does the nutrition of her young children (Lisa cited in Ogunshola and Adewale, 2012).
Parents of different socio economic classes often have different styles of child rearing, different ways of disciplining their children and different ways of reacting to their children. These differences do not express themselves consistently as expected in the case of every family; rather they influence the average tendencies of families for different occupational classes (Rothestein, 2004). The home has a great influence on the child’s psychological, emotional, social and economic state. In the view of Ajila and Olutola (2000), the state of the home affects the individual since the parents are the first socializing agents in an individual's life. This is because the family background and context of a child affect his reaction to life situations and his level of performance.
Education being one other major means of providing an opportunity in life and belong to a suitable social class, modern Nigeria family now plays crucial roles in the performance of children in school. It is widely recognized that many factors are involved in child’s academic performance such factors as parental educational level, occupation, income, social class and type of parenthood for instance the socio-economic characteristics of the family in school. All these factors have a bearing also on the duration of the student stay and achievement at school. On this premise, Hill (2004) pointed out that socio-economic status of parents has some influence on the academic performance of children.
Academic attainment is an important parameter in measuring success in students. Observations and reports have shown that success or high academic achievement has become a herculean task to accomplish by Secondary School Students in Biology in recent times. Hence, poor academic performance were recorded both at the junior and senior secondary school WASSCE levels of education in Nigeria (Tenibiaje, 2009).
The performance of students at all levels in educational institutions in Nigeria has attracted much criticisms from all and sundry from time immemorial. Poor academic performance of students has been of great concern to educationists, guidance and counsellors in particular. Despite all guidance programmes and counseling strategies mounted in schools to improve students’ academic performances, poor performances are recorded yearly.
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. INFLUENCE OF FAMILY BACKGROUND ON EDUCATIONAL ASPIRATIONS OF SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN UYO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA» ABSTRACT This study was aimed at examining the influence of family background on educational aspirations of secondary school students in Uyo Local Gov...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 10 hits | Source: EDUCATION
2. STRATEGIES FOR IMPROVING DELIVERY THROUGH THE UTILIZATION OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION MATERIALS IN SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL IN KADUNA EDUCATIONAL ...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study The challenges of classroom instruction in Nigeria’s school system and research started cha...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 71 hits | Source: EDUCATION
» ABSTRACT The purpose of this study was to investigate the causes and effects of indiscipline among secondary school students in Esa...Continue Reading »
70 pages | 148 hits | Source: EDUCATION
4. THE IMPACT OF LECTURER-STUDENT RELATIONSHIP ON STUDENT ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE. (A STUDY OF DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY, ASABA CAMPUS)» ABSTRACT The study was aimed at investigating the impact of lecturer student relationship on students’ academic performance in delta state universit...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 123 hits | Source: EDUCATION
5. STRATEGIES FOR IMPROVING THE TEACHING OF AUTOMOBILE TECHNOLOGY IN TECHNICAL COLLEGES IN KADUNA STATE (A CASE STUDY OF SOME SELECTED SCHOOLS IN KADUNA...» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title page i Approval page ii Declaration iii Dedication iv Acknowledgment v Table of contents vi Abstract viii CHAPTER ONE: INTRODU...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 65 hits | Source: EDUCATION
6. IMPORTANCE OF TEACHING SEX EDUCATION IN JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS. A CASE STUDY OF SOME SELECTED SCHOOLS IN IKPOBA OKHA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO ST...» ABSTRACT This project is aimed at findings out the importance of teaching sex education in junior secondary school in Ikpoba Okha Local Government Are...Continue Reading »
58 pages | 120 hits | Source: EDUCATION
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Primary schools are established with the aim of producing pupils who are worthy in character and ...Continue Reading »
53 pages | 237 hits | Source: EDUCATION
8. THE PROBLEMS OF TEACHING PRACTICAL BIOLOGY IN SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN IGBO ETITI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA ENUGU STATE (A CASE STUDY OF SS III STUDEN...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY According to Oxford Advanced Learner Dictionary (2000) defined “problems” as a thing that is ...Continue Reading »
67 pages | 116 hits | Source: EDUCATION
9. ICT RECEPTION AMONG NIGERIA UNIVERSITY LECTURERS AND STUDENTS TOWARD ENABLING A TRUE E-LEARNING ENVIRONMENT» Abstract Technological change and globalization have created a new global economy with Information and Communication Technology (ICT) occupying a comp...Continue Reading »
67 pages | 116 hits | Source: EDUCATION
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Our secondary school today offer some subject like chemistry, physics, English language, mathematics,...Continue Reading »
64 pages | 171 hits | Source: EDUCATION