Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 45 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This study examined problems of managing state owned enterprises in Nigeria. A case study of AKTC, Uyo. The study employed a descriptive research method to conduct a random sampling technique which was used to select thirty (30) workers of the company as respondents. Instrument for the study was the questionnaire which was given to the respondents to fill-in their opinion and was later retrieved from them. The data gotten from the respondents were presented that problems faced by state owned enterprises are problem of training and retraining, lack of serene working environment, in discipline among the rank and file of public worker, lack of motivation. It was also discovered perhaps that the greatest problem facing these organizations is that of government interference in the management and decision making process of these organizations. Recommendations were made by the research, that government should stop interfering with the management of these organizations, staff training and re-training would be paid as at when due.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Government owned enterprise may also be called public corporations. Public corporation according to Onibonoje (1975) are defined as those government agencies backed by state laws and charged with responsibility of tapping available human and materials resources for development and general welfare of the people. Most of those corporations undertake commercial and industrial ventures and need to be run on commercial basis though now with the man aim of making excessive profits.
It can equally be defined as an economic activity undertaken by the government. The task of managing these government owned enterprises are wholly in the hands of public servants. That is to say that, we cannot talk about the management of the state owned enterprise without talking about the public service. The civil service is said to be the bedrock of the executive aim of the government. Its main tasks are implementation and execution of the policies decides by the government. In accomplishing this task, the civil serviced involves in the formation of policies and advising generally on policy matters. They are also responsible to the management of the machinery of government and carryout the day-to-day duties that public. One unique role of civil service is that it is stand for continuity of policy as far as it is possible under any government infact, public service or civil service traditionally has been set up with express purpose of satisfying some specific facets of the citizen needs example, include health care, education, fire protection (service), police service, transportation and many others.
Akwa Ibom Transport Corporation was established in 1988 after the creation into the state coupled with the shortage of accommodation which of Akwa Ibom State in (1987). The influx of civil servants compelled them to live outside the heart of the town or suburb of Uyo made it necessary for government to look for a way of conveying civil servants to and from work, Hence, the establishment of Akwa Ibom State Transport Company, Akwa Ibom State Transport Company an off shoot of Federal Urban Mass Transport Programme (FUMTP) came into being precisely in February, 1988 with a fleet size of 45 vehicles acquired solely by the state government headed by Governor Tunde Ogbeha. But before the end of 1989 the Fleet seize was increased to 69 vehicles since then, the size has been continually replenished reinvigorated by the government until late 90’s when the co-operation metamorphosed into a limited liability company. The government gradually withdrew its subvention grant to the co-operation. Before now, the staffs of the co-operation were mainly civil grade to start off the business.
When the outfit was established policies were made through government bureaucracy, the parent ministry informed the co-operation what had to be done. When it became a limited liability company, board of directors was appointed by the government their function is mainly that of policy formulation.
They formulate policies and guidelines for the smooth operation of the enterprise while policy implementation and the day to day running of the business is left in the hand of the general manager. Akwa Ibom State Transport Company is a government parastatal is under direct supervision of the Ministry Works and Transport.
Buses are sometimes assigned to unviable routes just because a commissioner, party chairman or managing director is from the area. Apart from statutory funding by the state government, Akwa Ibom State Transport Company degenerate revenue to sustain the enterprise, the main source of its revenue is from conveyance of commuters. They applied intercity, inter-state and inter-state routes which is its major source of income. Another aspect of revenue is derived through hiring services, proceeds from sales of grounded vehicles, old tires, spare part, fuel etc.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Akwa State Transport Corporation has been established to cheap and avoidable transportation for the travelling public, employment among others.
But the aims of establishing the corporation has been defeated with the problem of running result. However, within the last thirteen years, the rate at which Akwa Ibom State Transport Corporation failed in their country to fulfill the objectives for they were established is alarming. This may be attributable to lack of motivation of the employees, lack of staff training, inadequate equipment and machineries which are absolute, lack of adequate manpower resources, lack of funds, poor working environment and poor remuneration or roads.
This study therefore sought to investigate the root causes of state enterprises in Nigeria.
1.2 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The main objectives of this study are:
1. To find out how Akwa Ibom State Transport Corporation is being managed.
2. To find out problems associated with management of Akwa Ibom State transport Corporation.
3. To recommend solution to the problems associated with the management of Akwa Ibom State Transport corporations.
4 To examine the contribution and challenges face by Akwa Ibom State Transport Corporation.
5. Tom makes recommendation to curbing problems confronting the bad road construction in Akwa Ibom State Transport Corporation.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
The researchers really focus on the following question:
1. How is government or state owned enterprise managed?
2 How will you rate government, participation in encouraging the state owned enterprise in Nigeria?
2 What is/are the challenges faced by the state owned enterprise in carrying out their duties in case of fundamental change in Akwa Ibom State transport Corporation?
3 Has the financial institution in Nigeria supportive to the Akwa Ibom State transport Corporation?
4 What is the re-problem associated with the management of state owned enterprise?
5 What is the re-possible solution to this problem?
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
The following null hypothesis shall be tested in order to ascertain the validity of this research work
i Ho: financial institution contribute in supporting the Akwa Ibom State transport Corporation.
ii Hi: financial institution do not contribute in supporting the Akwa Ibom State transport Corporation.
iii Ho: There are reasons for the failure of bad road construction in Akwa Ibom State Transport Corporation
iv Hi: There is no significant influence of government and its policies toward the development of road construction in Akwa Ibom State transport corporation.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
1. It is hoped that the outcome of this study will help to improve the management of Akwa Ibom State Transport Company by giving the management team an insight into how and what, effective of management is all about.
2. The government itself will benefit from the study as the findings would be applied in other public teaming that owned corporations.
3. The student in higher institution of learning will equally derive some benefits from the project, as it will serve as reference material to those talking studies in similar filed.
1.7 SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This project is limited to Akwa Ibom State Transport Corporation, Uyo. Funds were also a constraint to the researcher and there was a problem of getting the respondents to complete the questionnaire on time. The time given by the polytechnic for the completion of the study was yet another problem as the time frame was too short
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
To avoid the problems of understanding of the study, some key words/term used in the study are hereby defined:-
There are the establishments set up by the government for the benefit of the public. They are not meant for profit making
It is the achievement of the ends with the least amount of resources. Effectiveness it means producing the intended result.
Manager is a person who attempts to achieve the stated objectives of an organization by directing and controlling activities towards the productions of goods or services.
Motivation is an intentional drive towards the satisfaction of employee to enhance target achievement.
Profitability in the study, is the act of making business successful, it is also the act of investing and making profit.
This term is sometimes used to indicate a scop
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» Abstract Environmentalism has fast emerged as a worldwide phenomenon, leading business firms to be part of the phenomenon by practicing green marketin...Continue Reading »
2. THE ROLE OF HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT PROMOTING INDUSTRIAL HARMONY IN NIGERIA BOTTLING COMPANY PLC KADUNA» CHAPTER ONE INTROUDUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Human resource function becomes recognized as a central business concern sequel to its ability t...Continue Reading »
3. IMPACT OF PRIVATISATION OF PUBLIC ENTERPRISES ON POVERTY REDUCTION IN NIGERIA (A STUDY OF TELECOMMUNICATION INDUSTRY IN NIGERIA)» ABSTRACTPrivatization as an economic policy is of no doubt a good economic tool for development but in Nigeria, the policy has generated many controve...Continue Reading »
4. CORPORATE PLANNING AS A GROWTH STRATEGY IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR (A CASE STUDY OF LIFE FLOUR MILL LIFE SAPELE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND Corporate planning particularly important in a developing country where resource are relatively scare. In Nige...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study All organizations are concerned with what should be done to achieve high level of productivity th...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Of all business activities or functions, none is as interested in the consumer and his purchasing...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1. BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Public Relations, is a major element of the promotional mix which comprises other components like ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The manufacturing sector plays an important role in Nigeria economy and has many benefit that are critical for her economy transformation. In...Continue Reading »
9. THE EFFECT OF APPRENTICESHIP TRAINING ON THE PERFORMANCE OF ARTISANS (A CASE STUDY OF TAILORS IN MAKURDI METROPOLIS)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY The contribution of apprenticeship to jobs and skills has long been appreciated by countries eage...Continue Reading »
10. AN EXAMINATION OF THE IMPACT OF RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION STRATEGIES ON THE PERFORMANCE OF SMALL AND MEDIUM ENTERPRISE (A CASE STUDY OF NOVAL HOTEL NI...» ABSTRACT Hospitality business is a facet of the Nigerian economy that enhances economic growth and development as small and medium enterprises through...Continue Reading »