Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This project is purposely for determining the effects of delay and disruption on the cost of building construction project in Nigeria, ascertaining the cost, which aim at x-raying unnecessary delay and disruption in the normal processes of procuring and prosecuting building and civil engineering construction work at both pre-contract and post contract stages of construction. The factors that usually call for these delay and disruption in construction projects of the numerous project on the construction landscape and on the parties that are involved in carrying out the projects. This study continued with elucidating what the Quantity Surveyor and the other parties involved in the construction process can do to eliminate delays and disruption in construction in Nigeria. According to this study, inadequate planning, incompetent project manager, variation in project scope, political factors, price fluctuation etc., contributes to the delays and disruption of building construction project and thereby affecting their cost also. Most of the proper majors are recommended for the elimination of delays and disruptions on construction project i.e Adequate pre-contract study, engaging competent construction professionals etc.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1.1 Background of study
1.2 Statement of problem
1.3 Purpose of study
1.4 Research Questions
1.5 Significance of study
1.6 Scope of Study
1.7 Definition of Terms
2.1 Delay and Disruption
2.2 Construction Delay and Causes
2.2.1 Why Construction Projects are delayed and Abandoned
2.2.2 Common problems causing delay in construction
2.2.3 Inadequate pre-contract study and Planning
2.2.4 Award of Contract
2.2.7 Natural Disaster
2.2.8 Poor Executive Capacity of the Contractor
2.3 Cause of High Costs of Construction
2.4 Time Over-Runs and Cost
2.5 Delay and Disruption in Construction in Summary
3.1 Research Design
3.2 Area of Study
3.3 Population of Study
3.4 Sampling Technique
3.5 Instrument for Data Collection
3.6 Validity of an Instrument
3.7 Reliability of Instrument
3.8 Method of Data Collection
3.9 Method of Data Analysis
PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS 0F DATA OR RESULT
DISCUSSION AND CONCLUSION OF RESULTS
5.1 Discussion of Findings
5.2 Conclusion of the Study
5.4 Implication of the Findings
5.5 Suggestion for Further Study
5.6 Limitation of Study
LIST OF TABLES
Table 1: Causes of Delay and Disruption are Mainly Political Situation Limited Movement between areas award Project To Lowest bid price.
Table 2: Cause of Delays and Disruptions in Construction Projects
Table 3: Price Fluctuation was Identified as the most Important Factor Responsible for the Escalation of Project Costs
Table 4: Fluctuation Claim Only arise where there are Increase in price but no Refund for the price Decrease and this affect Building costs.
Table 5: Delayed and disrupted disruption project will yield to extra cost and poor construction management to the client and contractors.
Table 6: Variation of Addition, omition and Substitution Affects Construction cost.
LIST OF FIGURE
Example of Abandon Project
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Most town and cities in Nigeria are dotted with projects that are being delayed, disrupted, and uncompleted. Explanations giving for the stages of each buildings projects is varied and sometimes attributed to lack of financial, human and material resources with which to execute the projects. It is common in Nigeria especially now that the country is suffering from depression in the economy. It is often bad to see huge capital investments being disrupted and abandoned.
Any attempt to delay and disrupt a construction project, will have terrible consequences on every aspect of the nation’s activities which will be severe and unwelcome.
Delays and disruptive in construction has some effects on its cost and very retrogressive in a developing economy like Nigeria and needs to be properly addressed and tackled with all the courage and effort that we can muster.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
One of the biggest problems associated with most of the construction projects in Nigeria today is problem of delays and disruptions at both the pre-contract and post-contract stages of construction in building and civil engineering works.
The cost of building increases at the cause of delays and disruption in construction because of variation. many construction project in Enugu needed huge capital outlay and time to execute them and any attempt to delaying and disrupting the construction proper will result to terrible consequences that will affect the economical control and building cost.
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The purpose of this study is as follows –
- To investigate into most delayed and disrupted construction projects
- To ascertain the effects of delays and disruptions on cost of building construction.
- To examine the effect of fluctuation in prices on construction projects costs.
- To examine the costs of delayed and disrupted construction project to clients, contractors, the professionals that are engaged and the nation, in particular Enugu state.
- To examine the effects of variation in design on construction project costs.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTION
- What are the causes of delays and disruptions in construction projects?
- What are the effects of delays and disruptions on building construction project cost?
- Do fluctuations in prices bring about changes in construction project cost?
- What the costs are of delayed and disrupted construction projects to the clients, contractors, the professionals that are engaged in the field?
- In what ways can variations in design affect construction cost?
1.5 THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This study will be beneficial to the most construction industry in Nigeria because once a project is initiated and manage properly it will eliminate high cost of procurement and a lot profit are involved.
Also this will help in planning and execution of future construction project executions, especially the quantity surveyor in the feasibility and planning stages of a proposed scheme and preparation of work method and schedules by the building manager.
The study also intend to bring together, the causes of construction delays and disruptions and also tries to ascertain the costs, which will help the construction firms, Engineers, Surveyors and construction managers to initialize and control their project without lost or poor management.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
From the Oxford advanced learner’s English dictionary, delay implies the process or action of being slow being late or linger and also explain disruption as the action of making it difficult for something to proceed.
Delay – delay in construction can be defined as an act whereby projects execution is slow or interrupted one time or the other, thereby leading to unnecessary extension in the programme of work from what was initially scheduled.
Disruption – disruption in construction projects can be defined as an act or sites partially or completely deserted at one time or the other for the reasons of certain exigencies which have resulted in prolonged delays which are not in accordance with the programme of work in use extension of time or postponement as initially scheduled.
Cost – the estimated amount of money that will be needed for something or the price that should be charged for something.
Also, it implies the effort, loss or damage that is involved in order to do or achieve something.
Construction – the process or method of building or making something, especially road, building, bridges etc.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR BUILDING TECHNOLOGY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. ANALYSIS OF FACTORS INFLUENCING MATERIAL WASTAGE ON BUILDING SITE IN NIGERIA (A Case Study of Kaduna State)» ABSTRACT Having the necessary skill, ability, knowledge in minimizing wastage of materials on building is a goal to which every building firm no matte...Continue Reading »
2. AN EVALUATION OF HOUSING AFFORDABILITY FOR NIGER STATE CIVIL SERVANTS UNDER PUBLIC-PRIVATE PARTNERSHIP (PPP) HOUSING DEVELOPMENT» ABSTRACT Niger state government achievement in Public housing delivery for its citizen since its creation in 1976 has been very minimal–with jus...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study was based on the importance of incentives in enhancing workers performance on sites, that is, both financial and non financial inc...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The research examined factors of effective maintenance management in the public sector. Data gathering and analysis involved personal intervi...Continue Reading »
5. THE INFLUENCE OF NATIONAL CULTURE ON WORKERS SAFETY CLIMATE IN THE NIGERIAN CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY» ABSTRACT The research explored and analyzed the influence of national culture on workers safety climate in the Nigeria construction industry. It ident...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background Traffic accidents have been recognized as one of the major causes for human and economic losses both in developed ...Continue Reading »
7. ASSESSMENT OF THE EFFECTS OF DAMPNESS ON BUILDINGS IN ATIA IBIAKU SETTLEMENT IN ITU LOCAL GOVERNMENT, AKWA IBOM STATE» ABSTRACT The work was carried out with the aim of investigating dampness in the buildings within Atia Ibiaku Settlement of Itu Local Government Area, ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE:1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study 1.2 Statement of the problem 1.3 Statement of the objectives 1.4 Research questions 1.5 Resea...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study The importance of the Construction Industry to national economies the world over cannot be over e...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The control of materials on construction sites is handled carelessly by planning and purchasing departments, site supervisors and engineers a...Continue Reading »