Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 40 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.0 Background of the study
The mass media are diversified media technologies that are intended to reach a large, heterogeneous and anonymous audience simultaneously. It is the means which information originated from the source to the receiver which is transmitted through a channel. Before the advent of the media known as social media, radio was the fastest medium through which information was delivered. It is faster and grass-root oriented. Radio also surveys political happenings, official reports and numerous advertisement of various interests, all geared towards development as a credible source of information. The information from this source is filtered or edited before dissemination. The social media on the other hand include computer mediated tools that allow people to create, share or exchange information, ideas and pictures/videos in virtual communities and networks. Social media unlike the traditional media do not pass through editors before dissemination and they enable users to re-share the content posted on their social network. The emergence of this new media is super networks that connectother social media to connect and share information. The history of media is one in which audience of a particular channel of communication will be effected. Just as Livingstone (2003) rightly put, "in as much as there is a changing media scene, there will always be a changing audience". It is therefore important to look at the stages in which the communication technologies have evolved as well as how the preference on one media has shifted to others to reveal reasons or necessary factors responsible for the deliberate selection of one media over another which is what the study intends to look into.
Radio is a blind medium while TV is a medium that did not only allow for sound but also visuals. Changes and modernization continue to occur in the media. During the cause of all these changes, media consumers were finding these particular medium fascinating as their source of information. Hence, providing them an opportunity to use the medium most preferred to them to gratify their needs as source of information.
It is only worthy to note that media technologies are integral part any society for whatever information source and technology evolve, there is always a need for it by the audience. This gave rise to the new media which has opened opportunities for almost all human activities to be carried out electronically. All forms of newmedia as source of information are breaking away from the established norms with active corroboration of science and technology. It is one fact that we cannot do away with. Hence, Maida (1996:113) opines that the new media technology is 1 electromagnetic and the new dimension to it is the merging of the interface between the computer and the telecommunication. He further states that the new media and entourage have brought about a revolution in the method of information gathering, processing, storage, retrieval and transmission, making information available ever more widely, rapidly and less expensive. It is as a result of this that one could attribute media information source among consumers to be different. This derives from the fact that changes in technology are reflected in almost every facet of life especially in terms of the transformations in communication technologies.
According to Pearson (2003), we as individuals all participate in mediated communication which is any communication interaction using technology as the primary channel and source of information. In other words, media that bestsatisfies our needs as a source of information. We are surrounded by a wide array of media technologies that serve to entertain, educate, inform and enlighten us as a source of information, there is no doubt that people have their own choices and preferences among the media forms that avail themselves to us. Considering thetransformations of communication and information of the communication and information source, it is evident that each new medium that comes up serves to work on the lapse of the already existing media forms. That is, new media technologies tend to adopt the features of the old ones and improve on it so as to allow for more audience participation in the communication and information source role. As result, the new media, often times referred to as New Information Technologies (NIT) has been able to harness the features of the traditional media like the radio as the case may be in one particular media technology as a source of information.
For every communication process, there will always be a particular individual, group or targeted destination where a message is supposed to get to. These are none other than the receivers of the information whether on radio, social media or other media. According to McQuail (2000:136) "the social media has extended and changed the entire spectrum of socio-technological possibilities for public communication". He further notes that social media are a disparate set of communication technologies that share certain features apart from being new; made possible by the text (symbolic meaning in all encoded and decoded forms) can be reduce to binary code, can share information quickly with the audience.The kind of societies we lived in before were not as literate as the ones we live in now. For this reason, when we had only print media (Newspapers, books and magazine), they were regarded as channels of communication meant for literate people;that is those that could read and write. Then came broadcast industries (radio) which was an audio medium of information source. Hence, providing them an opportunity to use the medium most as information source may gratify their media technologies are an integral part of any society. For whatever communication technology and information source that will evolve, there always have to be perceived need for it by the audience. This gave rise to the new media which has opined opportunities for almost all human activities to be carried out as source of information.
Considering the various transformation of the communication systems, it is evident that each new medium that comes up, it serves to work on the lapses of the already existing media forms. This study shall compare the analysis of social media and radio as a source of information among students of Kaduna State University, Kaduna.
1.1 Statement of the Problem
Information is very important to the development of every society; social media and radio are various news sources that people rely on daily. They get people informed, with complete connectivity, bring peoples common interest together, and create a platform to share life with the rest of the world through interaction. Radio as one of the credible source of information is very factual and effective because of how information is filtered or edited before it gets to the listener. The social media on the other hand is fraudulent it can cause violence among people, make the users to commit crimes, invade privacy and waste students' time instead of them to be committed to the academic life.
It is against this backdrop that the study shall assess the use of social media and radio as sources of information among students of Kaduna state university (KASU).
1.2 Objectives of the Study
The aim of this research is to compare the analysis of social media as a source of information among students of KASU. It is in the view of this that the study tends to be part of these objectives.
1. To identify the major source of information between the social media and radio among KASU student.
2. To study the reasons for students use of information sources.
3. To study the frequency of the usage and source of information by student.
4. To identify the challenges that students face in accessing and using thisinformation source.
1.3 Research Questions
The study has the following research questions;
1. What is the major source of information between social media and radio among students?
2. What are the reason(s) this information source?
3. How frequent do they use and rely on the source of information?
4. What are the challenges that the students face in accessing the source of their information?
1.4 Significance of the Study
This research will give insight those who intend to undertake a similar research. It will also contribute to literature both for students and institution to know the appropriate source of information to the students. The research is generally useful because students and people to know the appropriate medium to source for credible and factual information.
1.5 Scope of the Study
The scope of the study is a comparative analysis of social media and radio as source information among students. The study will however be limited to the flstudents of Kaduna State University.
1.6 Limitation of the study
1. Time: Due to limited time much data and information could not be accessed.
2. Finance: Owing to financial constraints, the researcher was unable to cover a large sample in the area of study.
3. Non-availability of relevant and adequate needed information
1.7 Definition of Key Terms
ICT: information and communication technology. The study of the use of the computers, the network, videos, and other technology
KASU: Kaduna State University
STUDENT: A student is a person who is studying at a school, college, university etc.
RADIO: An electromagnetic medium that people send and receive messages through the waves to the listener.
SOCIAL MEDIA: they are the new media like Facebook, twitter, 2go, YouTube
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR SOCIOLOGY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. SOCIO-ECONOMIC AND CULTURAL FACTORS MILITATING AGAINST COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT IN IDEATO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF IMO STATE.» ABSTRACT Over the years, Ideato North Local Government Area of Imo state has been experiencing a slow rate of development in the area. Based on this t...Continue Reading »
2. PROBLEMS MILITATING AGAINST EFFECTIVE TEACHING AND LEARNING OF ECONOMICS IN SECONDARY SCHOOL IN EZEAGU LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF ENUGU STATE» Abstract This research work aimed at finding out the problems militating against effective teaching and learning of economics in secondary school in E...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION What is music? Music a general melody of sounds that unify the mind and soul,not even language differencescan’t stop mu...Continue Reading »
» Abstract This research was carried out to investigate and find out the effects of social media on the lifestyles of the Nigerian youth at Federal Coll...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The purpose of this study is to determine whether emotional intelligence and job involvement can predict organisational citizenship behavior ...Continue Reading »
6. THE ANALYSIS OF SOCIO-ECONOMIC CONSEQUENCES OF CHILD BEARING AMONG UNMARRIED FEMALE ADOLESCENTS IN KADUNA NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF KADUNA STATE» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 Background of the Study Adolescent childbearing remains a challenge requiring urgent resolution worldwide (UNPFA, 2013). The 2014 Worl...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 Background to the Study Various studies have stated that privacy security is one of the main concerns for successful e co...Continue Reading »
8. AN IMPACT ASSESSMENT OF POVERTY ALLEVIATION PROGRAMMES: A STUDY OF KANO WOMEN EMPOWERMENT PROGRAMME» ABSTRACT The reasons certain groups of people remain enriched by polio immunization services and why others reject them, have been a concern to resear...Continue Reading »
9. AN ANALYSIS OF THE CHALLENGES AND COPING STRATEGIES ADOPTED BY MARRIED FEMALE STUDENTS IN GOMBE STATE UNIVERSITY, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT This study examined the challenges and coping strategies of married female students in Gombe State University. The objectives were to examine...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This project has studied the role of youths in political thuggery in Kaduna north local government. To this end, the work identified how the ...Continue Reading »