Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 66 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The concepts of child abuse and child neglect are forms of maltreatment on the child that impedes child survival, development and participation. Children are seen as assets to parents and government because they are human resources that any society can boast of, therefore, parents and government invest in them in order to obtain better tomorrow. This can be achieved however, if their early child socialization is devoid of harmful cultural practices that crippled their chances of survival, development and participation.
Ejikeme (1987) defines child abuse as a problem arising from the intention of an adult to carry out an act that is inimical or detrimental to the physical, intellectual, language, emotional, moral and social development of a child; while child neglect which involves some degree of deprivation refers to an intentional failure of an adult to perform physical, cognitive, moral and social development of a child.
However, it is imperative to note in this premise that what constitute child maltreatment in one society may not be considered same in another society, this is because of cultural differences an belief, practices. From the above, it will be important to trace the fact that there might be different factors that caused child abuse and neglect since the application of cultural ideology is not universal; that is, it changes across societies.
However, different forms of child maltreatment exist like: child trafficking, street begging, street hawking, child discrimination or child preference, early marriage, prostitution, child labour, use of virgin girl-child for ritual/sacrifice etc. despite tangible evidences or empirical indicators of child abuse and neglect, it is difficult to measure.
This is so because it is recognized as a major social problem that occurs in all levels of social class, race, religion and ethnic groups. It is important to note that the practice of child abuse and neglect is supported by government indirectly when the individual is seen as a product of the society.
Poor socio-economic status of parents trace its roots through unemployment and destitution as government does not address social inequality, unemployment and poverty amongst its citizens, instead people in position work towards actualizing their selfish ends and those who cannot meet the society values through the legitimate means result to deviance and crime as postulated by Robert K. Merton, Alemika and Best (1988) argues that our past successive state Governors/Administrators both military and Politicians, business individuals, foreigners etc who loot billions of Naira from the country’s treasury and precipitate years of economic crisis, political instability etc are hardly arrested, prosecuted nor jailed, instead they are rewarded with Chieftaincy tittles, honorary degrees, ministerial appointments, contracts and the like.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Forms of child maltreatment like; child abandonment, child abduction, child trafficking, street begging, street hawking, child labour, prostitution, early marriage and the like, deteriote and cause a total decay of the society. This foster insecurity and anarchy as a result of inadequate means of meeting legitimate goals or values of the society. This jeopardizes not only the immediate children but further endangers our future continuum and a tactical genocidal wipe of humanity since child maltreatment maimed the survival, development and participation of the child.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The research at glance intent to critically analyzes, appraises and examines the impact of negative attributes of child abuse and neglect on the individual, families and the society. The specific objectives are:
i) Determine the impact of child abuse and neglect on the child.
ii) Determine the relationship between child abuse, child neglect and crime.
iii) Determine the roles of parents and government in curbing the menace.
iv) Determine the influence of culture in propagating child abuse and neglect.
v) Make appropriate recommendations to the government.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
Child abuse and child neglect are social problems that affects a significant number of people about which something need to be done. This menace deters technological advancement and waste a lot of wisdom and talents. This study however, would help reduce the number of people affected through adequate mobilization and campaign against this catastrophe. This study would also help in legislating against the catastrophe. This study would provide a data bank that serve as literature for further use by scholars.
1.5 SCOPE AND LIMITATIONS OF STUDY
This study was restricted to Gyel district of Jos south local government area; this is to provide the researcher access to sample a particular target population to ensure meaningful work.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR SOCIOLOGY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. KNOWLEDGE AND ATTITUDE OF UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS TOWARDS HOMOSEXUALITY AND ITS IMPLICATION ON SOCIAL ADJUSTMENT» ABSTRACT With civilization and urbanization on the increase in Nigeria today and also freedom from parents enjoyed by youths and students in various i...Continue Reading »
2. AN INVESTIGATION OF THE FORMS, FACILITATORS AND EFFECTS OF TERRORISM ON RESIDENTS OF ABUJA MUNICIPAL AREA COUNCIL (AMAC)» ABSTRACT Thisdissertation titled „An Investigationof the Forms, Facilitators, and Effects of Terrorism on Residents ofthe Abuja Municipal Area C...Continue Reading »
» Abstract The study tittled Psychoactive Substance Use Among Young People was designed to determine prevalence and patterns of Psychoactive Substance u...Continue Reading »
4. ORGANIZATION AND WORK BEHAVIOUR OF FORCE ORGANIZATION: (A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIAN POLICE FORCE, AKWA IBOM STATE COMMAND)» ABSTRACT Publicity in today’s production is an area whose potentials have not been utilized. Lack of efficient publicity is one of the reasons m...Continue Reading »
5. AN IMPACT ASSESSMENT OF POVERTY ALLEVIATION PROGRAMMES: A STUDY OF KANO WOMEN EMPOWERMENT PROGRAMME» ABSTRACT The reasons certain groups of people remain enriched by polio immunization services and why others reject them, have been a concern to resear...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The study explores on the sociological examination of single parenthood in Makurdi local government area of Benue State with the following sp...Continue Reading »
7. ASSESSMENT OF INFLUENCE OF SOCIAL MEDIA ON SELECTED SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN ZARIA, KADUNA STATE» ABSTRACT This study assesses the Influence of Social Media on Secondary School Students in Zaria, Kaduna State. The essence of this study was as a res...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION The Background and Demography of the Study The city of Kano has been famed to be one of the most advanced cities in pre colon...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study The family is the building block of any society, it is a nursery, a school, a hospital, a leisure...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONEINTRODUCTION1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDYThe home is a mini society and the society grows out of the home. The child is conceived at home and...Continue Reading »