Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This work has been designed to look at the various roles played by office managers in record management and carefully investigate the problems and solutions to these problems office managers encountered while managing record. The need for the study has arisen from the recognition of the important role office managers play in an organization especially in information or record management.
The research study is divided into five
sections. Chapter one has the introduction, which introduces the subject
matter. It also contains the background of the study where the researcher
unveiled the roles office managers played in effective record management. This
is followed by the statement of the problems where the researcher enumerated the
problems the office manager observes that impale her to embark on this research
work. It also has the objectives of the study, research questions, significance
and scope of the study. Chapter two contains all related literatures of
different authors who have written on the subject matter. Chapter three
emphasis on the research methodology. The research method adapted is survey
research. Data was obtained through the use of questionnaire and oral
interview. In chapter four, the presentation, analysis and interpretation of
data was formulated. Chapter five has the summary of findings, recommendation
As you know in every office, a large volume of information in form of letters, circulars, and telegrams are sent to outsiders or received from them. Inside the organization also written materials are exchanged between different departments. All this items when received need to be documented by an office manager for future reference. A planned and efficient handling of these records is essential for the success of any business organization. It is described as the backbone and an integral part of an office.
Hicks (1964) described that In the course of doing business, records are created through a variety of government activities such as vehicle registration, professional licensing, procurement contract transactions, general correspondence, and other external and internal business processes. Records may be created and transmitted in a variety of ways:
• Audio/video recording.
• Computer generated (including e-mail and databases).
These records support, document, and provide evidence of a variety of organizations activities including:
• Business processes.
• Program evaluation.
• Information policy making processes.
• Accountability ensurance.
• Facilities planning.
This paper addresses the role of office managers in re4cord management, real world dilemmas of what a record is and the task of its lifecycle management by proposing a working definition of a record, discussing the challenges of managing records by office managers, and identifying a set of best practice recommendations.
1.1 Background of the Study
Records capture information used to protect the rights and interests of governments, businesses and citizens and to preserve history and culture by documenting information about noteworthy people, issues, places, and events.
Most of these records are useful for a relatively short period of time and can then be destroyed. Some of the records will represent the agency’s business record and need to be maintained for stewardship and public accountability purposes. Some records need to be preserved for many years, and a few should be preserved permanently to maintain the historical record. The challenge for public officials is to manage each of these types of records, making sure that those records with important information are preserved, while records that are no longer valuable are disposed of in an appropriate and legal manner.
The office managers is the back-bone of any organization, thus, she is also important to the organization because of her ability to remain calm under extra-ordinary conditions of the work pressures and human demand. This view of the secretary’s functions are archaic one in view of the changes that have taken place in her training and her job, but one might ask “is there anything so unique about the office managers and her ability in handling office records.?” The answer is “Yes”, the office managers besides being an officer who is in charge of correspondence or records or confidential personnel should be able to know how to handle office records properly. It is hoped that at the end of this study, its will provide or identify the roles office managers played in record management.
Handling of office records by office managers has always been a problem and office managers has a serious role to play in organizing and preserving these records for the organization productivity. It was under this background that the researcher is prompt to carry out this research.
1.2 Statement of the Problems
Although the main purpose of managing office records properly is to keep information safe and readily available to the office managers and the organizations as when needed. Improper handling of records can pose or may involve an element of risk to the office managers and the entire organization as well as affecting her performance. The office managers has to be aware and prepared for these. Ahukannah (2000) stated that the cause of the problems militating against handling of office records properly by the secretaries are lack of training, inadequate knowledge of the computer in storing information in the company’s database, lack of office record and filing equipments, management attitude, lack of technical know-how by the office managers in storing these records, etc.. Inadequate training and skills requirement is another problem associated with bad record management.
1.3 Objective of the Study
The main objective of this study is to identify the various roles of office managers in record management using first bank as a reference or case study. Specifically, the study attempt to:
1) Identify the various kinds of office records available in the organization.
2) Determine the skills needed by office managers in handling these office records.
3) Find out if records are adequately handled in the organization or bank.
4) Evaluate the extent to which the office managers can operate some record processing or storage equipments such as computer system.
5) Identify the problems which the office managers encounters in the handling of these office records.
6) To make suggestions on how these problems can be resolved.
1.4 Research Questions
The research question is:
1. What are the various kinds of office records office managers handled?
2. What are the skills that office managers need to handle all these records?
3. What are the adequacies of these skills?
4. what are the benefits of handling office records properly?
5) What are the problems encountered by office managers in handling office records?
1.5 Significance of the Study
The result of this study will help office managers to identify some problems facing them in handling records. It will also explain how important office managers are in an organization or the bank and to know many unique things about office managers (i.e.) their strong ability to handle records effectively. It is strongly believe that after going through this study, it will serve as a useful tools as it will be informative and educative to prospective student’s secretaries who wants to carry on further research on the subject matter.
1.6 Scope and limitations of the Study
The scope of this study is limited to look at the “Roles of office managers in record management. This work is limited to first bank Plc Owerri alone.
In the course of the research work, the researcher encountered some constraints, which affected the final output of the study. There limitations amongst others include:
a. Time: The time available for the completion of the research study was not adequate. This was because the researcher was mandated to report her findings within a fixed time limit during the academic session.
b. Cost: For a maximum fulfillment of the objective of this study, the researcher needed to visit all the office of first bank secretaries to obtain first-hand information. This, she could not achieve due to the huge expenses that would be incurred in the process.
c. Attitudes of Respondents: The negative attitude of some respondents to the researcher’s request for audience in answering questions or filling the questionnaires also constituted a constraint to the assignment.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR SECRETARIAL STUDIES FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT The research work has been carried out to find “The Effect of information and communication technology on today’s business enviro...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRDUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study The internet began as an experiment by the United States department of defense in the 1960s to hel...Continue Reading »
3. THE PERCEPTION OF STUDENTS TOWARDS THE INTRODUCTION OF CREDIT IN MATHEMATICS FOR ADMISSION INTO OFFICE TECHNOLOGY AND MANAGEMENT» Abstract This study was conducted to find out the perception of students towards the introduction of credit in mathematics for admission into Office T...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This research has been carried out to know the reprographic skills required of secretaries in some selected business establishment. The instr...Continue Reading »
» Abstract The basic aim of any business is to make profit in the most effective and efficient way. These profit motive is what makes the business enter...Continue Reading »
6. A FOLLOW-UP STUDY ON THE PROFICIENCY FO THE NATIONAL DIPLOMA (ND) SECRETARIAL STUDIES GRADUATES OF THE FEDERAL POLYTECHNICS NEKEDE OWERRI» ABTRACT This work has been designed to look at the performance and jobs motivation and job satisfaction in five selected organizations and parastastal...Continue Reading »
7. OFFICE TECHNOLOGY SKILLS PREFERRED BY EMPLOYERS IN SOME SELECTED BUSINESS ORGANIZATION IN ABIA STATE» ABSTRACT This research work was carried out on the office technological skills preferred by employers in some selected business organization in Abia s...Continue Reading »
8. ANALYSIS OF THE EFFECTS OF CORPORATE LEADERSHIP ON EMPLOYEE EMPOWERMENT (A CASE STUDY OF NUT COOPERATIVE SOCIETY, AKURE) BY» INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Cooperatives, as economic enterprises and as self help organizations, play a meaningful role in uplifting the...Continue Reading »
9. MODERN OFFICE EQUIPMENT USED BY OFFICE MANAGERS IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR ESTABLISHMENT WITH IMPLICATION ON SECRETARIAL TRAINING» ABSTRACT This research work was carried out to determine the office equipment used by managers in the private sectors establishment with implications ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This project was aimed at exploring the factors affecting the productivity of secretaries in the civil service of the Imo. The research quest...Continue Reading »