Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Beginning secretaries have encountered so many difficulties in the performance of their duties in modern offices. In the past, many secretaries were retrenched because they could not meet the required standard of the organization. Some of the difficulties include poor educational background poor human relations, unable to handle or operate some automated machines and more, contributed to the problems beginning secretaries faced.
It is our aim in this project to find lasting solutions to these problems so that our beginning secretaries will find work very interesting.
1.1 BACKGROUNF OF THE PROBLEM
A beginner in all works of life encounters one problem or the other and the beginning secretary is not an exception. The contribution and services of a secretary can either improve or mar the efficiency of an organization.
In order to succeed, secretaries have to relate well with other people and use the modern machines and materials well. All these indicate that one has to develop on the job ion order to meet the ever changing business environment, which will encourage the executive to admire her work.
At the end of the training, the secretary is expected to secure a job in an organization or set up a business no matter the one, chosen; she will be expected to face some challenges and difficulties. Some of the difficulties are inherent in today’s office machines and equipment. The beginning secretary has to understand the objectives of the organization how it functions and what is expected from employees. The secretary is also expected to improve some vital services such as acting as a memory aid to the boss, keeping custody of documents, using office machines to get her job done and maintaining good human relations.
According to Nwosu (1996), a secretary is defined by national Association of America as “An assistance to an executive possessing mastery of office skills and ability to assume responsibility without direct supervisions who display initiative, exercises judgment and makes decision within the scope of her authority. This means that a good secretary is a public relation expert, a staff assistant to the boss’s office memory. The secretary is responsible for much of the details of the office work, and is expected to carry out the duties with a minimum of supervisions and direction. A secretary is expected to represent the organization and the employer attractively to the public and generate good human relations in working with all employees in the organization with the advancement in the technology which is now with us, the secretary needs to have a computer competencies and processing skills.
Ifedili (1975) also noted that secretaries are note of the most indispensable tools needed precisely in organizations. He further stated that government parastatals, companies, ministries, establishments and indeed the private sectors all need the services of secretaries for the smooth operation and achievement of their objectives.
Secretaries are responsible primarily for covering all meetings, collecting and harmonizing the activities of the departments, in spite of some motivational aids to the beginning secretaries, a lot of constraints appear to cripple and incapacitate the smooth functioning of beginning secretaries in carrying out their functions in modern office.
The use of office automation makes the information to be routed out faster, recorded easily and quickly assessed irrespective of the volume of no efforts is made to identify the solutions confronting beginning secretaries in modern offices, the constraint will continue to hinder their performance of the secretary in carrying out her conventional duties. Therefore, the beginning secretaries are those that have worked or began work in an organization and it is necessary to carry out a study to identify the areas of difficulties encountered by them in various modern offices and proffer some solutions.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS
However, the beginning secretaries in spite of their immense contributions to the overall development and the realization of the organizational goals, Are skill Faced with a number of operational problems.
Many beginning secretaries know their jobs but find it difficult when it comes to informing their employer about what they need to know. They may have adequate decision making, ability and secretarial competency but they have neither recognized the importance of communication dearly and nor mastered the art. Good communication requires time and efforts. In working, talking, reading listening and interpreting. It represents a definite skill in which every secretary should gain proficiency.
According to Ukandu. (1996), a beginning secretary finds herself in a few environment with a view of making a carrier as a secretary the facilities which are not up to date and adequate are used for training in school and facilities in all ramification including the office. The use of office equipment in many offices has meant a substantial change in the office skill thereby rendering obsolete to the skill required by those unable to abreast of the technical changes.
As a result of the above development, the changing office skills constitute great problems to the beginning secretaries. On graduation, the secretary finds herself in a complete new environment with modern machines with which she was not familiar during her training at school with these challenges faced by beginning secretaries, some employers start to develop doubts as to whether the certificate the beginning secretary claim to have acquired was authentically obtained.
Furthermore, good human relation is one of the things needed in an office environment that usually confront a beginner in any organization. Some beginning secretaries do not have a good knowledge on how to relate with fellows students at school and they also be have in the same manner when they work with people in the personal need of their fellow workers. Because of this sometimes, there tend to be conflicts in the office.
This study is aimed at examine these difficulties militating against effective performance of the beginning secretaries in the modern offices, to find solutions and suggestion on how to reduce to the bravest minimum those crises facing the beginning secretaries.
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The main purpose of the study is to find out some of the difficulties encountered by beginning secretaries in the performance of their functions in modern offices.
The specific objectives of the study include.;
1. To identify the office equipment present in the secretaries work place.
2. To find out the difficulties facing the beginning secretaries in their office.
3. Suggest solutions to the difficulties facing secretaries as beginners in modern offices.
4. To find out course that are not adequate in content.
5. To ascertain the adequacy of the content of the secretarial administration curriculum.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The findings of the survey will help the offices (organization or management) to know the feelings of her secretaries and how best to attend to her problems. It is also hoped that if the study is successfully carried out, it will help out educational institutions to channel the training programmed of the secretaries towards the industrial needs of the country.
The study will also help to bridge the gap between business and school as this is to ensure that whatsoever equipment used in offices are present in schools, also the study will make institutions see need to redesign the curriculum especially that of secretarial administration.
Above all, the study will also help the beginning secretaries cope of manage with the difficult problems encountered in our present modern offices.
1.5 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The study is delimited in scope to the difficulties encountered by beginning secretaries in their functions in a modern office, a case study of Owerri Urban Council of Imo State and its implications on the organizational efficiency.
1.6 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. Are the contents of the secretarial administration curriculum adequate for effective preparation of an effective secretary?
2. What are the nature of equipment you used while in school and the equipment present in your work place?
3. What are the effects of good human relations in you?
4. What are the problems encountered by beginning secretaries and the likely solutions to these problems.
In limitations of this chapter, the researcher found it difficult in collecting the materials and information to used in the write-up. It cost the researcher a lot in transporting herself to the place/reach of materials o information. Also physical stress caused by going for research and jotting of relevant information which will be of great help of this write-up.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Secretary – A secretary is an assistant to an executive possessing mastery of office skills and ability to assume responsibility without direct supervision, who displays initiatives, exercise judgment and makes decision within the scope of her authority.
Office – An office is a place where decrial work is done and where all kinds of paper work is being carried out i.e. letter, files correspondents, records, memos, queries, notice and so are maintained and dealt with.
Office machine – These are equipment used by the secretary to carry out her duties in the office e.g, computer, duplicator typewriter, stapler, perforator etc.
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR SECRETARIAL STUDIES FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE IMPACT OF ENTREPRENEURSHIP AS A PANACEA FOR UNEMPLOYMENT REDUCTION IN NIGERI (A CASE STUDY OF IMO STATE)» ABSTRACT This research work examined the difficulties to the achievement of level of productivities and unemployment performance in the industries. Th...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 410 hits | Source: SECRETARIAL STUDIES
2. THE PERCEPTIONS OF STUDENTS TOWARDS THE INTRODUCTION OF CREDIT IN MATHEMATICS FOR ADMINISTRATION INTO OFFICE TECHNOLOGY AND MANAGEMENT» ABSTRACT This study was conducted to find out the perception of study towards the introduction of credit in mathematics for administration into office...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 377 hits | Source: SECRETARIAL STUDIES
3. ELECTRONIC OFFICE EQUIPMENT USED BY SECRETARIES IN MODERN BUSINESS OFFICES IMPLICATION FOR EFFECIENCY OF WORK OUTPUT» ABSTRACT The purpose of this study is to examine the electronic office device equipment used by secretaries in modern business organization and its im...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 282 hits | Source: SECRETARIAL STUDIES
4. THE IMPACT OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (ICT) ON OFFICE MANAGER’S JOB PERFORMANCE IN SELECTED PUBLIC SERVICE SECTOR A CASE STUDY OF O...» ABSTRACT The topic of this study is the impact of information and communication technology (ICT) on office manager’s job performance. The instru...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 293 hits | Source: SECRETARIAL STUDIES
» ABSTRACT The specific aim of this project was to know the secretaries and needed office skills: current and future expectation, which run in instituti...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 371 hits | Source: SECRETARIAL STUDIES
» ABSTRACT The research work has been carried out to find “the impact of information and communication technology on today’s business enviro...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 292 hits | Source: SECRETARIAL STUDIES
7. THE PROBLEMS FACED BY NEWLY EMPLOYED OFFICE TECHNOLOGY & MANAGEMENT GRADUATES (A CASE STUDY OF FEDERAL POLYTECHNIC NEKEDE OWERRI)» ABSTRACT This research is aimed at evaluating the problems faced by newly employed office technology and management graduates in Federal Polytechnic N...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 298 hits | Source: SECRETARIAL STUDIES
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY In today’s national and international buiness world, information is a price less commod...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 251 hits | Source: SECRETARIAL STUDIES
» Abstract The basic aim of any business is to make profit in the most effective and efficient way. These profit motive is what makes the business enter...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 276 hits | Source: SECRETARIAL STUDIES
10. THE ROLES OF OFFICE MANAGERS IN RECORD MANAGEMENT (A CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK NIGERIA Plc, OWERRI)» ABTRACT This work has been designed to look at the various roles played by office managers in record management and carefully investigate the problems...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 293 hits | Source: SECRETARIAL STUDIES