Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Diabetes mellitus is a disease in which blood vessels of glucose (sugar) are high because the body does not produce or properly use insulin. There are two major forms of diabetes mellitus. Type 1 diabetes develops when the pancreas does not produce insulin. Type 2 diabetes occurs when the body cell resist insulin’s effect (Microsoft Encarta, 2009). This condition leads to elevated levels of blood glucose. The normal range of blood glucose level for blood glucose level is between 70-110mg/dl. Insulin is a hormone that helps to maintain normal blood glucose level by making the body’s cell absorbs glucose (sugar) so that it can be as a source of energy. In people with diabetes glucose levels build up in the blood and urine causing excessive urination, thirst, hunger and problems with fats and protein metabolism because the body cannot convert glucose into energy, it begins to break down stored fats for fuel. This produces increasing amounts of acidic compounds in the blood called ketone bodies which interfere with cellular respiration energy producing process in cells. Alloxan induces diabetes mellitus in rats. Alloxan, a beta cytotoxin, induces diabetes in a wide variety of animal species through damage of insulin secreting cell. In these animals, with characteristic similar to type 1 diabetes in humans. Hypercholesterolemia and hypertriglyceridemia are common complications of diabetes mellitus. (Rerup, C. C. 1999).
Senna tora (originally described by Linne as cassia tora) is a legume in the subfamily caesalpiniodeae. It grows wild in most of the tropics and is considered a weed in many places. Its native range is not well known but probably South Asia. It is often confused with Chinese senna or sickle pods obtusifolia. If it is given a distinct common name at all, it is called sickle wild sensitive plant (nature serve, 200). It has a widely ranging tropical and the agro climatic conditions, which are conducive for introducing and domesticating new and exotic plant varieties. The use of the plants, plant extracts and pure compounds isolated from natural sources provided the foundation to modern pharmaceutical compounds. An ethno botanical search on fine species senna within and around Ogbomoso, Oyo state, Nigeria showed their relevance in the local herbal medicine. In the recent study, screening for hypoglycemic activity of the extract of senna tora was conducted to provide support for the use of this plant as traditional medicine. Phytochemical screening provides knowledge of the chemical constituents of this not only for the discovery of new therapeutic agents, but also for information in discovering new sources of other materials. The uses of senna tora include the following, used as liver stimulant, mild laxative, heart tonic, used in treatment of fever, used to treat eczema and dermatomycosis, etc.
1.1 AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE RESEARCH
Therefore the goal of the study is to:
1. To determining the blood glucose levels of normal and Alloxan induced diabetic rats.
2. To determine the effects of senna tora leaves extract on the blood glucose levels of the diabetic albino rats.
3. To compare values before and after induction with Alloxan and senna tora leaves.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR PUBLIC HEALTH FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. DETERMINANTS OF RETREATMENT WITH FIRST LINE ANTI- TUBERCULOSIS DRUGS IN SMEAR POSITIVE PATIENTS IN ADAMAWA STATE, OCTOBER 2012 – JUNE 2013» SUMMARY Retreatment is indicated in tuberculosis (TB) patients if they fail or default from initial treatment or relapse after initial treatment succe...Continue Reading »
2. KNOWLEDGE, ATTITUDE AND PERCEPTION WITH REGARDS TO PREVENTION OF HYPERTENSION AMONG BANKERS IN MUSHIN LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, LAGOS, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT Hypertension is a major public health problem which is the third leading risk factor contributing to mortality and morbidity rate in the worl...Continue Reading »
3. ASSESSMENT OF THE KNOWLEDGE, ATTITUDE AND PRACTICES RELATED TO THE TREATMENT AND PREVENTION OF LYMPHATIC FILARIASIS AMONG THE ADULT RESIDENTS OF BOKKO...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION The term “lymphatic filariasis” covers infections with three closely related nematode worms wuchereria bancrofti,...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of Study Antibiotics account for the most commonly prescribed drugs in the hospital setting. Inappropriate an...Continue Reading »
5. PREVALENCE OF BRUCELLOSIS IN SHEEP AND GOATS KEPT IN HOMES AND ASSESSMENT OF OWNERS’ KNOWLEDGE AND PREVENTIVE PRACTICES IN ZARIA, NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND Brucellosis is a global zoonotic disease associated with significant morbidity that can lead to increased rate...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND The World Health Organization (WHO) is greatly concerned with the provision of quality health care for everyon...Continue Reading »
» Summary Preventive vaccination against rabies virus is a highly effective means for rabies prevention but some animals do not reach the minimal preven...Continue Reading »
8. SEROPREVALENCE OF DENGUE VIRUS AND ASSOCIATED FACTORS AMONG HEALTHY INDIVIDUALS IN KARU LOCAL GOVERNMENT, NASARAWA STATE, NIGERIA» SUMMARY Dengue is a mosquito borne viral infection that causes flu like illness which can develop into a potentially lethal complication such as dengu...Continue Reading »
» Abstract The main purpose of this work is improving the dietary intake of diabetic patients in Ikwo local government area of Ebonyi State. To achieve ...Continue Reading »
10. FACTORS INFLUENCING ADOLESCENTS’ SEXUALITY AND REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH SEEKING BEHAVIOUR IN IBADAN SOUTHEAST LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF OYO STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background to the Study Adolescence is a period of transition from childhood to adulthood and as these adolescents prepares t...Continue Reading »