Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Diabetes mellitus is a disease in which blood vessels of glucose (sugar) are high because the body does not produce or properly use insulin. There are two major forms of diabetes mellitus. Type 1 diabetes develops when the pancreas does not produce insulin. Type 2 diabetes occurs when the body cell resist insulin’s effect (Microsoft Encarta, 2009). This condition leads to elevated levels of blood glucose. The normal range of blood glucose level for blood glucose level is between 70-110mg/dl. Insulin is a hormone that helps to maintain normal blood glucose level by making the body’s cell absorbs glucose (sugar) so that it can be as a source of energy. In people with diabetes glucose levels build up in the blood and urine causing excessive urination, thirst, hunger and problems with fats and protein metabolism because the body cannot convert glucose into energy, it begins to break down stored fats for fuel. This produces increasing amounts of acidic compounds in the blood called ketone bodies which interfere with cellular respiration energy producing process in cells. Alloxan induces diabetes mellitus in rats. Alloxan, a beta cytotoxin, induces diabetes in a wide variety of animal species through damage of insulin secreting cell. In these animals, with characteristic similar to type 1 diabetes in humans. Hypercholesterolemia and hypertriglyceridemia are common complications of diabetes mellitus. (Rerup, C. C. 1999).
Senna tora (originally described by Linne as cassia tora) is a legume in the subfamily caesalpiniodeae. It grows wild in most of the tropics and is considered a weed in many places. Its native range is not well known but probably South Asia. It is often confused with Chinese senna or sickle pods obtusifolia. If it is given a distinct common name at all, it is called sickle wild sensitive plant (nature serve, 200). It has a widely ranging tropical and the agro climatic conditions, which are conducive for introducing and domesticating new and exotic plant varieties. The use of the plants, plant extracts and pure compounds isolated from natural sources provided the foundation to modern pharmaceutical compounds. An ethno botanical search on fine species senna within and around Ogbomoso, Oyo state, Nigeria showed their relevance in the local herbal medicine. In the recent study, screening for hypoglycemic activity of the extract of senna tora was conducted to provide support for the use of this plant as traditional medicine. Phytochemical screening provides knowledge of the chemical constituents of this not only for the discovery of new therapeutic agents, but also for information in discovering new sources of other materials. The uses of senna tora include the following, used as liver stimulant, mild laxative, heart tonic, used in treatment of fever, used to treat eczema and dermatomycosis, etc.
1.1 AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE RESEARCH
Therefore the goal of the study is to:
1. To determining the blood glucose levels of normal and Alloxan induced diabetic rats.
2. To determine the effects of senna tora leaves extract on the blood glucose levels of the diabetic albino rats.
3. To compare values before and after induction with Alloxan and senna tora leaves.
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR PUBLIC HEALTH FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. AWARENESS AND PERCEPTION OF ILISHAN REMO COMMUNITY MEMBERS ON CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE, OGUN STATE, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT Chronic kidney disease is a predominant and possibly rising disease across sub Saharan Africa with threats that comprises both communicable a...Continue Reading »
88 pages | 30 hits | Source: PUBLIC HEALTH
2. KNOWLEDGE, ATTITUDE AND PERCEPTION WITH REGARDS TO PREVENTION OF HYPERTENSION AMONG BANKERS IN MUSHIN LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, LAGOS, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT Hypertension is a major public health problem which is the third leading risk factor contributing to mortality and morbidity rate in the worl...Continue Reading »
85 pages | 76 hits | Source: PUBLIC HEALTH
» Abstract The main purpose of this work is improving the dietary intake of diabetic patients in Ikwo local government area of Ebonyi State. To achieve ...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 35 hits | Source: PUBLIC HEALTH
» ABSTRACT The aim of this project work is to take a look at the development and the rapid growth of modern technology, especially computer technology i...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 118 hits | Source: PUBLIC HEALTH
5. EXAMINING THE DISTRIBUTION AND UTILIZATION OF MEDICAL FACILITIES, A CASE STUDY OF KARASUWA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, YOBE STATE.» .0 INTRODUCTION: Health service research is a state of complete physical, mental, and social well being and not merely the absence of disease or infir...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 44 hits | Source: PUBLIC HEALTH
6. EFFECT AND IMPLICATION OF FLUORIDE ON DRINKING WELL WATER (A CASE STUDY OF IREE COMMUNITY, BORIPE LOCAL GOVERNMENT, OSUN STATE)» ABSTRACT Analysis of well water sample was carried out using colorimetric method to determine the amount of fluoride in fifteen wells water samples in...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 411 hits | Source: PUBLIC HEALTH
7. SOCIO-ECOLOGICAL FACTORS PREDICTING THE PREVALENCE OF OBESITY AMONG SELECTED SENIOR SECONDARY STUDENTS IN ADO LOCAL GOVERNMENT, EKITI STATE, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT Adolescent obesity is slowly emerging as a serious public health problem. This is due to the strong relationship with adult obesity and its r...Continue Reading »
74 pages | 66 hits | Source: PUBLIC HEALTH
8. PREDICTORS OF INFANT-SURVIVAL PRACTICES AMONG MOTHERS ATTENDING PAEDIATRIC CLINICS IN IJEBU-ODE, OGUN STATE, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT Despite concerted global efforts made towards infant survival, infant death lingers as a huge problem in developing countries. Environmental ...Continue Reading »
89 pages | 29 hits | Source: PUBLIC HEALTH
9. INFLUENCE OF PARENTING STYLES ON ADOLESCENTS’ SELF-ESTEEM IN SELECTED SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN ABEOKUTA NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT, ABEOKUTA, OGUN STATE, NI...» ABSTRACT The concept of self esteem is an area of psychology that has gained considerable attention, but for many years has also caused much confusion...Continue Reading »
77 pages | 95 hits | Source: PUBLIC HEALTH
10. INFORMATION, MOTIVATION AND BEHAVIOURAL SKILLS AS PREDICTORS OF UTILIZATION OF UNIVERSAL PRECAUTIONS AMONG NURSES IN SAGAMU, OGUN STATE, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT Health care providers are at major high risk for contracting blood borne infections during the discharge of their duties. Universal precautio...Continue Reading »
78 pages | 73 hits | Source: PUBLIC HEALTH