Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 Background to The Study
The urban communities of underdeveloped nations are developing at extremely fast rates contrasted with those in the developed countries (UN-Habitat, 2010). Such high rate of development of urban areas has suggestions for the arrangement of urban infrastructural administrations to keep the expansion of urban slum. The expanding development of urban communities, along these lines, has suggestions for city waste management among other social administrations required in the urban communities (Ogunrinola and Adepegba, 2012). Waste management is the accumulation, transport, preparing, reusing or transfer of waste materials; and can be viewed as a standout amongst the most difficult territories of current natural management (Egun, 2009).
Regardless of the serious endeavors in alternate techniques for transfer, and utilization of strategies on waste diminishment and reuse, landfills still stay as the fundamental piece of the strong waste management designs in dominant part of the World (Ozeair and Mohsen, 2010). Landfills ought not be seen as being in rivalry with other waste management innovations. Or maybe it supplements elective waste management innovations, as all elective waste treatment frameworks bargain just with some part of the waste stream, and in themselves offer ascent to deposits that require transfer at last by means of landfill. Much of the time, a landfill is the main alternative accessible to the Local Government Area waste management units and Private Sector Participants (PSPs) after the accumulation of metropolitan strong waste.
Landfilling is the most straightforward and regularly least expensive strategy for discarding waste (Aduja, 2005). In most low-to medium-salary creating countries, all produced strong waste goes to landfill. Indeed, even in many developed nations, landfilling is the most mainstream transfer strategy. In the European Union, in spite of the fact that approaches of decrease, reuse, and preoccupation from landfill are unequivocally empowered, the greater part of the part states still send an overabundance of 75% of their loss to landfill (fred, 1998). Also, in spite of the fact that the extent of waste to landfill may in future diminishing and the aggregate volumes of metropolitan strong waste (MSW) being developed are as yet expanding altogether for some developed nations. Landfill is subsequently anticipated that would remain an applicable wellspring of groundwater contamination for a long time to come (William ,2001).
The effect on water assets from landfills in dry regions must be taken note. Regardless of whether low expenses and high accessibility of negligible land have made landfilling the most generally utilized waste transfer strategy, landfilling affects water assets. Truth be told, most dry territories experience the ill effects of the disjoin precipitation disintegration which could build the likelihood of surface and ground water tainting. Transfer of fluid waste isn't extraordinary in landfills in bone-dry territories. Abuja metropolis, for instance for the semi-parched and bone-dry areas, has seen an expansive increment in populace amid the previous five decades because of populace development and constrained relocations (chukwu, 1998). Went with of this expansion, prudent and social advancement has enhanced the way of life and changed customer propensities in the group, bringing about an unmistakable increment in the volume of waste.
1.2 Statement of Problem
The rate of creation of MSW in Abuja metropolis has been evaluated at 1,960,000 tons every year with a normal age rate of 0.95 kg/top/day in urban and 0.85 kg/top/day in rustic regions (Philip, 2000) and is relied upon to achieve 2.5 million ton by 2015. There is clear a need in waste management rehearses, particularly the correct landfilling, combined with the quick increment in strong waste, which represents a negative impact on health and environment.
landfilling practiced in Abuja metropolis is still simply dumping the waste in trenches with leveling and compacting by trash compactors to reduce the size and the thickness of the layers, and finally cover the waste with soil (trenches method) (john, 1993). The trenches method is used in most of Abuja metropolis landfill due to their simple set-up and low operational requirements. The construction of a trench must be carefully pursued in order to minimize the leachate of pollutants into the soil and groundwater.
1.3 Objective of Study
The objective of this study is to determine and assess the environmental and health impacts of emissions. Specifically, the study aims at:
1. Assessing the major types and sources of waste in landfills in Abuja metropolis
2. Determining the health impact of landfill emissions on residences in Abuja metropolis
3. Suggesting appropriate control method to minimize negative effects of landfills on human and the environment.
1.4 Research Questions
The research questions to guide this study are:
1. What are the major types and sources of waste in landfills in aba road Abuja metropolis?
2. What is the health and environmental impact of landfill emissions on residences at in Abuja metropolis?
3. what control method can minimize negative effects of landfills on human and the environment.
1.5 Research Hypothesis
The research hypothesis for this study is:
HO: landfill emission doesn’t pose a great threat to the health conditions of the people, and the environment
H1: landfill emission poses a great threat to the health conditions of the people, and the environment
1.6 Significance of The Study
Most importantly, this research work is to contribute to the knowledge on the landfills, health and environmental management.
It shall also act as a basis for further investigation or scrutinization on waste management.
1.7 Scope of The Study
This study is limited to three different areas in Abuja metropolis. These areas include Iyanya, Mpape and Kubwa. Upon the subject of the study which is an analysis of health and environmental impact of land fill emissions.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR PUBLIC HEALTH FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. DETERMINATION OF THE EFFECTS OF SENNA TORA LEAVES EXTRACT ON THE BLOOD GLUCOSE LEVELS OF THE DIABETIC ALBINO RATS.» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Diabetes mellitus is a disease in which blood vessels of glucose (sugar) are high because the body does not produce or pr...Continue Reading »
» SUMMARY Job satisfaction refers to how well a job provides fulfilment of a need or want or how well it serves as a source or means of enjoyment. The p...Continue Reading »
» SUMMARY Lead is a bioaccumulative heavy metal usually found in nature combined with other elements to form lead compounds. Over 400 children were repo...Continue Reading »
4. ASSESSMENT OF UTILIZATION OF POSTPARTUM CARE SERVICES AMONG WOMEN IN WEBUYE WEST, BUNGOMA COUNTY, KENYA. CLAIRE LUSENO OTUNGA» ABSTRACT Postpartum care is an important link in the continuum of care for maternal health. The postpartum period is critical because most maternal de...Continue Reading »
5. A STUDY ON BIRTH PREPAREDNESS AND COMPLICATION READINESS AMONG WOMEN OF REPRODUCTIVE AGE IN ENUGU METROPOLIS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background Maternal mortality is a substantial burden in developing countries. World Health Organization (WHO) estimated ...Continue Reading »
6. PREVALENCE OF BOVINE TUBERCULOSIS AND KNOWLEDGE, ATTITUDE AND PRACTICE OF WORKERS IN TWO ABUJA ABATTOIRS, FEDERAL CAPITAL TERRITORY, NIGERIA» SUMMARY Mycobacterium bovis is present in animals in most developing countries where surveillance and control activities are often inadequate or unava...Continue Reading »
7. SUBSTANCE USE AMONG OUT-OF-SCHOOL ADOLESCENTS IN BWARI AREA COUNCIL OF THE FEDERAL CAPITAL TERRITORY ABUJA» SUMMARY Substance use among adolescents has become one of the most disturbing health related phenomena world wide, with consequent physical, social an...Continue Reading »
8. PRODUCTION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF SOFT SOAP FROM LOCAL POTASH (NGU) OR CAUSTIC POTASH LABORATORY OR COMMERCIAL GRADE LETTER OF TRANSMITTAL» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION The metal salts of the high molecular weight organics acids that occurs in fats as esters are called “soap” s...Continue Reading »
9. PREVALENCE AND MANAGEMENT OF MALARIA IN CHILDREN; A CASE STUDY OF JOS UNIVERSITY TEACHING HOSPITAL» ABSTRACT BACKGROUND: Malaria is the most prevalent tropical disease in the world today. Each year, it causes disease in approximately 650 million peop...Continue Reading »
10. CRYPTOSPORIDIOSIS AMONG HIV PATIENTS PRESENTING WITH DIARRHOEA BETWEEN SEPTEMBER TO DECEMBER, 2012 IN SPECIALIST HOSPITAL SOKOTO, NIGERIA.» Summary Diarrhoea remains one of the most important health problems globally and a leading cause of morbidity and mortality among immuno compromised i...Continue Reading »