Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 Background to The Study
The urban communities of underdeveloped nations are developing at extremely fast rates contrasted with those in the developed countries (UN-Habitat, 2010). Such high rate of development of urban areas has suggestions for the arrangement of urban infrastructural administrations to keep the expansion of urban slum. The expanding development of urban communities, along these lines, has suggestions for city waste management among other social administrations required in the urban communities (Ogunrinola and Adepegba, 2012). Waste management is the accumulation, transport, preparing, reusing or transfer of waste materials; and can be viewed as a standout amongst the most difficult territories of current natural management (Egun, 2009).
Regardless of the serious endeavors in alternate techniques for transfer, and utilization of strategies on waste diminishment and reuse, landfills still stay as the fundamental piece of the strong waste management designs in dominant part of the World (Ozeair and Mohsen, 2010). Landfills ought not be seen as being in rivalry with other waste management innovations. Or maybe it supplements elective waste management innovations, as all elective waste treatment frameworks bargain just with some part of the waste stream, and in themselves offer ascent to deposits that require transfer at last by means of landfill. Much of the time, a landfill is the main alternative accessible to the Local Government Area waste management units and Private Sector Participants (PSPs) after the accumulation of metropolitan strong waste.
Landfilling is the most straightforward and regularly least expensive strategy for discarding waste (Aduja, 2005). In most low-to medium-salary creating countries, all produced strong waste goes to landfill. Indeed, even in many developed nations, landfilling is the most mainstream transfer strategy. In the European Union, in spite of the fact that approaches of decrease, reuse, and preoccupation from landfill are unequivocally empowered, the greater part of the part states still send an overabundance of 75% of their loss to landfill (fred, 1998). Also, in spite of the fact that the extent of waste to landfill may in future diminishing and the aggregate volumes of metropolitan strong waste (MSW) being developed are as yet expanding altogether for some developed nations. Landfill is subsequently anticipated that would remain an applicable wellspring of groundwater contamination for a long time to come (William ,2001).
The effect on water assets from landfills in dry regions must be taken note. Regardless of whether low expenses and high accessibility of negligible land have made landfilling the most generally utilized waste transfer strategy, landfilling affects water assets. Truth be told, most dry territories experience the ill effects of the disjoin precipitation disintegration which could build the likelihood of surface and ground water tainting. Transfer of fluid waste isn't extraordinary in landfills in bone-dry territories. Abuja metropolis, for instance for the semi-parched and bone-dry areas, has seen an expansive increment in populace amid the previous five decades because of populace development and constrained relocations (chukwu, 1998). Went with of this expansion, prudent and social advancement has enhanced the way of life and changed customer propensities in the group, bringing about an unmistakable increment in the volume of waste.
1.2 Statement of Problem
The rate of creation of MSW in Abuja metropolis has been evaluated at 1,960,000 tons every year with a normal age rate of 0.95 kg/top/day in urban and 0.85 kg/top/day in rustic regions (Philip, 2000) and is relied upon to achieve 2.5 million ton by 2015. There is clear a need in waste management rehearses, particularly the correct landfilling, combined with the quick increment in strong waste, which represents a negative impact on health and environment.
landfilling practiced in Abuja metropolis is still simply dumping the waste in trenches with leveling and compacting by trash compactors to reduce the size and the thickness of the layers, and finally cover the waste with soil (trenches method) (john, 1993). The trenches method is used in most of Abuja metropolis landfill due to their simple set-up and low operational requirements. The construction of a trench must be carefully pursued in order to minimize the leachate of pollutants into the soil and groundwater.
1.3 Objective of Study
The objective of this study is to determine and assess the environmental and health impacts of emissions. Specifically, the study aims at:
1. Assessing the major types and sources of waste in landfills in Abuja metropolis
2. Determining the health impact of landfill emissions on residences in Abuja metropolis
3. Suggesting appropriate control method to minimize negative effects of landfills on human and the environment.
1.4 Research Questions
The research questions to guide this study are:
1. What are the major types and sources of waste in landfills in aba road Abuja metropolis?
2. What is the health and environmental impact of landfill emissions on residences at in Abuja metropolis?
3. what control method can minimize negative effects of landfills on human and the environment.
1.5 Research Hypothesis
The research hypothesis for this study is:
HO: landfill emission doesn’t pose a great threat to the health conditions of the people, and the environment
H1: landfill emission poses a great threat to the health conditions of the people, and the environment
1.6 Significance of The Study
Most importantly, this research work is to contribute to the knowledge on the landfills, health and environmental management.
It shall also act as a basis for further investigation or scrutinization on waste management.
1.7 Scope of The Study
This study is limited to three different areas in Abuja metropolis. These areas include Iyanya, Mpape and Kubwa. Upon the subject of the study which is an analysis of health and environmental impact of land fill emissions.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR PUBLIC HEALTH FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. DETERMINANTS OF RETREATMENT WITH FIRST LINE ANTI- TUBERCULOSIS DRUGS IN SMEAR POSITIVE PATIENTS IN ADAMAWA STATE, OCTOBER 2012 – JUNE 2013» SUMMARY Retreatment is indicated in tuberculosis (TB) patients if they fail or default from initial treatment or relapse after initial treatment succe...Continue Reading »
» Chapter 1 Introduction. Aging is a silent process whose consequences are difficult to anticipate. It creeps insidiously on people with some of the eld...Continue Reading »
3. THE KNOWLEDGE AND PRACTICE OF STANDARD PRECAUTIONS AMONG HEALTH CARE WORKERS IN PUBLIC SECONDARY HEALTH FACILITIES IN ABUJA, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT Standard precautions are a set of guidelines that aim to protect health care workers from infections from blood, body fluids, secretions, exc...Continue Reading »
4. THE EFFECT OF IONIZING RADIATION ON CHILDREN IN NIGERIA A CASE STUDY OF SHEHU MOHAMMAD KANGIWA MEDICAL CENTRE KADUNA POLYTECHNIC, KADUNA SOUTH LOCAL ...» ABSTRACT Exposure of children to ionizing radiation is most commonly from the environment, chiefly through cosmic x rays and radon, or from medical te...Continue Reading »
5. MALARIA PARASITE AND ITS EFFECT TO HUMAN HEALTH (A CASE STUDY OF UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA TEACHING HOSPITAL (UNTH), ENUGU)» ABSTRACT The detection of malaria parasite in the blood, which is as the major aim of this project was carried out and experimental data shows the exi...Continue Reading »
6. THE PRESENCE OF HEPATITIS B ENVELOPE ANTIBODY IN PATIENTS WHO HAVE BEEN PREVIOUSLY SCREENED FOR THE SURFACE ANTIGEN.» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION A virus is a small infectious agent having a simple acellular organization with a nucleic acid and aprotein coat.It lacks ind...Continue Reading »
» SUMMARY Listeriosis is an emerging zoonoses requiring continuous surveillance in order to prevent outbreaks in humans. The disease can develop after c...Continue Reading »
8. DISCLOSURE OF HIV STATUS BY HIV POSITIVE PATIENTS ATTENDING ADULT ART CLINIC AT GOMBE STATE SPECIALIST HOSPITAL, GOMBE.» ABSTRACT Disclosure of HIV status especially to sexual partners is an important prevention goal. Many international organizations including UNAIDS, WH...Continue Reading »
9. DETERMINANTS OF ROUTINE IMMUNIZATION COVERAGE AMONG 12-23 MONTHS OLD CHILDREN OF NOMADIC POPULATION IN AKWANGA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, NASARAWA STATE, ...» SUMMARY Routine Immunization coverage is generally low in several parts of Nigeria especially the northern region. It is even lower among people who l...Continue Reading »
10. SUBSTANCE USE AMONG OUT-OF-SCHOOL ADOLESCENTS IN BWARI AREA COUNCIL OF THE FEDERAL CAPITAL TERRITORY ABUJA» SUMMARY Substance use among adolescents has become one of the most disturbing health related phenomena world wide, with consequent physical, social an...Continue Reading »