Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 100 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACK GROUND OF THE STUDY
Nigeria as a sovereign nation operates a federal system of government i.e the federal government, state government and the local government councils.
Onwo (1992) Observed that each level of the three tiers of government derive its powers not from the magnanimity of the central government but from the constitution; each level of government has defined responsibilities assigned to it by the constitution. The implication of this is that the three segments of governments are mutually interrelated in a unified effort to make life worth – while for the masses.
Aninri local government area was created out of Awgu local government in October 1996 by the late head of state General Sani Abacha. As one of the new local government councils, it is facing a very serious crisis of development since its creation. Some problems facing the council include: insufficient office accommodation, staff quarters and office infrastructures. These problems seem to be insurmountable.
Indigenes of the local government are desirous of enjoying modern facilities, improved means of transportation, such as good road network and mass transit transport services. These desires are in line with stated objectives of the local government such as construction and maintenance of roads, provision of health services such as maternity homes, health centers, sanitization, provision of primary education and many others – as sponsored by the federal military government. The federation (Nigeria) years book of 1983, outlined the aims of the local government system in the country. According to that document, one of the cardinal aims of the local government system is to make appropriate services and development activities, responses to local wishes and needs by delegating authority to local representative bodies.
The citizens expect the council to excel in developmental activities. They would like to please the community or communities in the local government area through the provision of functional feeder roads and public utilizations.
The council administration in the other hand complains of inadequate finance to meet up with the numerous responsibilities yearning for attention. According to the guidelines for local government reforms or 1976, “it must be recognized that if meaningful local government is to be expected in Nigeria, much larger financial resources are needed” they also complain that staff salaries alone drain a high percentage of the monthly allocation. Financial experts postulates that money is at the center of developmental projects. Acquisition and proper accountability of funs are the pivot upon revolves. Adedeji (1979) capped it all when he declared that the success or failure and the effectiveness and ineffectiveness of local government depend on the financial resources available to the individual local government and the way these resources are utilized.
From the foregoing, it seems that an empirical study into the revenue base of the local government system at this harsh economic period is not only useful but very vital.
It is therefore against this background that this project work is being undertaken with a view to discovering the problems of Effective Utilization of Revenue Available to Local Governments with particular reference to Aninri local government area of Enugu state.
1 .2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The relevance of the local government councils as the government at the grassroot level is measured by the quality and quantity services rendered to the rural dwellers.
For the council to render meaningful services, in form of provision of basic amenities, construction and maintenance of roads, creation of employment opportunities for the citizens and pay staff salaries as and when due, money is undoubtedly required.
Without the availability of revenue, a local government council will not only be incapable of serving the people but will undoubtedly crumble. It therefore, follows that for the local government to discharge its statutory functions effectively, it should not only be adequately funded but such fund should be efficiently applied.
1. One of the fundamental problems in local government financial administration is the issue of Effective Utilization of Revenue Available to the Local Government. Aninri local government council may have tits unique problems that militate against its financial administration.
2. The problem of delay in payment of federal/state government grants to the local authorities.
3. The problems of accountability in the local government council.
4. Another problem is that of ineffective financial control and management both internally and externally.
5. Fifthly, the problem of financial mismanagement and embezzlement of available funds in local government council.
Finally, the problem of corruption as stated by Oluwale (2000) militate against the utilization of local government revenue.
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The central focus of the study is to critically analyze the problems of effective utilization of revenue available to Aninri local government area as a case study.
1. The study is meant to identity the major revenue sources available to local government .
2. To ascertain the problems that confront the council’s administration in utilizing revenue for their services.
3. To find out whether or not the revenue is adequate for the council’s expenditure.
4. To investigate the system of financial control in the local government council.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significance of any human endeavour is measured by its relevance to solving human problems. Therefore, the significance of the study is measure by its relevance to solving the problems of effective utilization of revenue available to local governments in Nigeria.
The project will be of benefit, first and foremost to the Aninri Local Government administration, as it will expose to them potential sources of generating of revenue internally.
Secondarily, it will help the council to strengthen its financial bases as this study would highlight some identified problem hampering the utilization of revenue in the council.
Thirdly, it will also be useful to the indigenes of Aninri local government to co-operate with local council administrators to enable them build a viable local government by paying their taxes and rates promptly.
Fourthly, the project will be useful to various institutions especially Caritas University, for gaining greater knowledge and understanding of the problems of effective utilization of revenue available to local government.
Finally, the project will be useful to the general public, organizations, companies etc that may have interest in the project.
1.5 LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY
i. Delimitations (scope) of the study: This is centered on the problems of effective utilization of revenue available to local government in Nigeria but due to the wide or vast nature of Nigeria, the researcher now chose Aninri local government as a case study to deal with this particular problems in other local government in Nigeria.
The study is also centered on the sources of revenue available to local government both the internal and external sources of revenue.
ii. Limitations (constraints) of the study: In the effort of carrying out this research bathe researcher was faced with the problem of time, finance and visitation of Aninri Local Government, the case study of the research work.
The researcher being a student, found it difficult to get exeat out of the school premises and the time frame given was so limited in carrying out the research work. Also, the distribution and collection of the questionnaire to the staff of Aninri Local Government was not easy for the researcher as the respondents were not always available.
The study was carried out under a lot of constraints. The class work and financial constraints were other limitations which made it uneasy for the materials to be ready available at the appropriate time.
1.6 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
In the effort of carrying out this research, the following questions were formulated:
1. Are you aware of the constitutional provision of revenue sources to the tiers of government in Nigeria?
2. By what means has Aninri Local government planned the expenditure of available revenue?
3. What systems of financial control measures are used by council administrators?
4. Has the utilization of the Revenue Available to Aninri Local Government produced positive or negative effects?
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Some concepts and terms required proper explanation or definition to enhance our understanding of the theme where necessary opinions of scholars will be cited to illustrate the terms.
The Ancient Greeks defined democracy as a government of the people, by the people and for the people. This political arrangement allowed every adult male citizen to participate in government activities.
Dare (1981) Postulated that modern democracy is a system of government which gives to individual maximum freedom and periodical opportunities to choose their leader and programmes. Multiple party-systems are a vital characteristic of a democratic government.
The term pragmatism is derived from the Greek from which practical action arise.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE IMPACT OF MOTIVATION ON STAFF OVERALL PERFORMANCE IN THE CIVIL SERVICE (A CASE STUDY ON MINISTRY OF EDUCATION - EBONYI)» ABSTRACT The purpose of this study is determine the effect of motivational modern on the impact of motivational model on the impact of motivation on s...Continue Reading »
2. A STUDY INTO THE CHALLENGES OF INCOME TAXATION IN GHANA: A CASE STUDY OF INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE- EASTERN REGIONAL OFFICE» ABSTRACT Revenue from tax which is a big source of revenue to the Government has been a major concern to many developing countries such as Ghana in re...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This research examined the degree of labour relationship between management and employees of Anammco Plc Emene. The population consisted the ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Administration in the general sense is usually described in terms of a cooperative human effort d...Continue Reading »
5. PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS OF COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF UKAM COMMUNITY IN MKPAT-ENIN LOCAL GOVERNMENT OF AKWA IBOM STATE)» ABSTRACT People in rural communities contribute a lot towards the development of their areas either by providing the labour required to execute the pr...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY For a very long time, corruption has become recognized as a major problem in Nigeria, where it ha...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The research provides an appraisal of the war against terrorism with a focus on Nigerian diplomatic dimension against book haram insurgency ....Continue Reading »
8. THE ROLE OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT IN NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT (A CASE STUDY OF KUDAN LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF KADUNA STATE)» ABSTRACT This project entitled the role of Local Government in National Development with Kudan Local Government of Kaduna State as a Case Study. The r...Continue Reading »
9. ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF PRICING POLICIES OF AGRICULTURAL INPUTS IN KEBBI STATE (A CASE STUDY OF KASCOM NIGERIA LIMITED)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study The disappointing performance of the agricultural sector in many developing countries of the worl...Continue Reading »
10. APPRAISAL OF THE IMPACT OF GOVERNMENT REFORMS POLICIES ON FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS IN THE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.01 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Over the years, Nigeria economy has witnessed a lot of dynamic changes in its economic polic...Continue Reading »