Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 107 pages long and it is in MS Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Questionnaire, Data Analysis,Abstract.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Development is a sine qua non for modern civilization. In a crusade and struggle to carryout development at all nooks and crannies of the society, the local government as the tier of government that is nearest to the people is saddled with the responsibility of direct development of the people to a certain level.
Development is highly associated with fund, much revenue is needed to plan, execute and maintain infrastructures and facilities at the local government level. The needed revenue generated for such developmental projects. Like construction of accessible roads, building of public schools, health care centers, construction of bridges among others are soles generated from taxes, royalties, haulages, fines and grants from states, national and international governments.
Thus, the Local government cannot embark, execute and possibly carryout the maintenance of these projects and other responsibilities without adequate revenue generation.
This is the basic reason why development is skeletal at some Local Government councils in Nigeria. The issue of poor revenue generation is not exceptional to local government in Oyo State. This has been one of the problems encountered by Oluyele Local Government.
This however pronouncedly affected development negatively in local government councils. In this research project, the issue to address is how far can this poor revenue generation affect development especially in Oluyele Local Government.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The Local Government Council take direct care of the grassroots people, that is the people in the rural areas. This group of people sometimes lack essential facilities and condition of modern civilization. They lack pipe bore water to drink, do not have electricity, accessible roads, poor educational infrastructure and facilities to mention but a few.
This is one of the major reasons of rural – urban migration of movement. This has made our cities to be congested and increase in many criminal activities. Based on the above and foregoing assertions, it is obivious that the impact of poor revenue generation on the development of the rural area is a serious problem. This might be as a result of poor revenue generation. If Nigeria is to achieve her desired goal of vision 2020 and possibly meet the millennium development goals (MDGS) target, the issue of revenue generation must be addressed squarely.
Hence the researcher is bothered to find out the impact of poor revenue generation on the lives of people at the rural area and how it has affected development in general especially in Oluyele Local Government Area.
1.3 PURPOSE/OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The broad objective of the research is to evaluate the impact created by poor revenue generation on the development of Oluyele local government area in Oyo State.
The other objective of this study includes:
- To determine the level of modern social amenities available in Oluyele local government area in Oyo.
- To find out the level of poverty associated with the rural people as a result of poor development
- To find out the degree of rural-urban migration.
- To make useful suggestions to solve the problem of poor revenue generation as development depends on revenue generated.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
i. What are the impacts of poor revenue generation on the development of Oluyele local government area of Oyo state?
ii. Are there adequate modern social amenities in Oluyele local government area?
- Is the poverty level of the rural people high has a result of poor development?
- Has poor revenue generation in Oluyele local government area contributed to rural-urban migration?
- How can revenue generation in Oluyele local government area be improved?
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significance of any human endeavour is measured by its relevance to solving human problems. The findings of this study would help Oluyele Local Government to identify the problems associated with revenue generation and its consequences on development.
1.6 SCOPE AND DELIMITATION
The study is focused on the impact of poor revenue generation and how it affects development of the local government areas. It will also involve the analysis of problems associated wit revenue generation and its impact on the development of Oluyele Local Government.
1.7 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The researcher was constraint by time as time frame for the submission of this research was short for an expansive research.
The researcher equally encountered financial limitation as lack of sponsorship from corporate bodies thus; the researcher’s little resources could not cover more areas.
The willingness of most local government staff to supply the needed data was another major problem.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Some concepts require proper explanation to enhance our understanding of the theme where necessary opinion of scholars will be cited to explain the terms. The researcher will also give some fundamental definition of terms.
According to Lawal (2000) Local Government as a political sub-division of a nation in Federal system which is constituted by law and has substantial control of local affairs which includes the power to impose taxes or exact labor for prescribed purpose.
According to William Robson (2006) Defined Local Government as involving the conception of territorial, non-sovereign community possessing the legal right and the necessary organization to regulate its own affairs.
Public revenue could be defined as the funds generated by the government to finance its activities. In other words revenue is the total fund generated by government (Federal, state, local government/ to meet their expenditure for a fiscal year.
This refers also to the grand total of money of income received from the source of which expenses are incurred. Revenue could be internal or external revenue.
This is the process of sourcing revenue for the local government in carryout their aim and objectives.
Public expenditure refers to the expenses which the government incurs for its own maintenance, in the interest of the society and the economy in order to help other countries.
Tax can be defined as a compulsory levy by government on goods, services, income and wealth. It provides definite source of revenue for government expenditure. (Udeh O.S. 2008)
It is the way by which government obtain extra money. It spent from income of individual and companies. Tax could be direct or indirect tax. A tax is a payment made by the taxpayers and used by the government for the benefits of all the citizens.
Tax evasion means illegal reduction in one’s tax liabilities, thereby paying less than the appropriate amounts and not paying at all.
Tax avoidance is the act of streamlining one’s financial affairs within the law so as to minimize the tax liabilities.
According to Ake (2001) Development is thus the process by which people create and recreate themselves and their life circumstances to realize higher levels of civilization in accordance with their own choice and values.
It also a type of social change in which new ideas are introduces into a social in order to produce higher per-capital income and levels of living through more modern production methods and improved social organization.
Abba, E U. (2008). Local Government Administration in Nigeria. Onitsha: Abbot Books Ltd.
Okoli, F.C. (2000). Theory and Practice of Local Government. Enugu: Intec Printers Ltd.
Udeh, O.S. (2008). Public Financial Management. Enugu: Malik Enterprises Nigeria.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. POLITICS OF POVERTY REDUCTION IN NIGERIA: A STUDY OF THE ACTIVITIES OF EBONYI STATE COMMUNITY POVERTY REDUCTION AGENCY (EB-CPRA) IN ABAKALIKI L...» ABSTRACT This study titled “Politics of Poverty Reduction in Nigeria” A study of the activities of Ebonyi State Community Poverty Reductio...Continue Reading »
» Abstract This study examines the contributions of Ebre women society to Nigeria socio political development. It gives the detrimental effects which th...Continue Reading »
3. THE MANPOWER PLANNING AND STAFF DEVELOPMENT IN OIL INDUSTRY (A CASE STUDY OF WATER CORPORATION ENUGU STATE)» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Manpower planning and staff development is an essential asset in the growth and development o...Continue Reading »
4. ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF BRAIN-DRAIN ON EDUCATIONAL DEVELOPMENT IN NORTH WESTERN NIGERIA: A CASE STUDY OF THE POLYTECHNIC OF SOKOTO STATE» CHAPTER ONE GENERAL INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study The migration of intellectual worker and skilled personnel from the less developed countr...Continue Reading »
5. EFFECT OF CORRUPTION ON LOCAL GOVERNMENT ADMINISTRATION IN NIGERIA: A STUDY OF OHAUKWU LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EBONYI STATE.» ABSTRACT This research work is on effect of corruption on local government administration in Nigeria: A study of Ohaukwu Local Government Area. Corrup...Continue Reading »
6. effects of broken homes on Academic Performance of Secondary School Students. (A case study of Kaduna South Local Government Area of Kaduna State).» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Broken home is regarded as one of the serious social problem that causes psychological problem in...Continue Reading »
7. APPRAISAL OF THE IMPACT OF GOVERNMENT REFORMS POLICIES ON FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS IN THE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.01 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Over the years, Nigeria economy has witnessed a lot of dynamic changes in its economic polic...Continue Reading »
8. EXAMINE THE PROBLEM OF RURAL WATER SUPPLY USING UTAGBA-UNO AREA OF NDOKWA-WEST LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF DELTA STATE» ABSTRACT The concern of this study is to examine the problem of rural water supply using Utagba Uno area of Ndokwa West Local Government Area of Delta...Continue Reading »
9. INTER-GOVERNMENTAL RELATIONS IN LOCAL GOVERNMENTS IN NIGERIA. (A CASE STUDY OF NKANU EAST LOCAL GOVERNMENT ENUGU)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND AND NEED FOR THE STUDY The concept of Intergovernmental relations is associated with states having a Federal A...Continue Reading »
10. GIRL-CHILD EDUCATION AND ITS CHALLENGES IN KAGARKO AND SABON GARI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREAS OF KADUNA STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study The girl child is a biological female offspring from birth to 18 years of age. During this period...Continue Reading »