The Complete Project Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters. Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
Get the complete project »
This study focuses on Revenue Mobilization as a tool for effective Local Government Administration, taking Sanga Local Government Area as a case study. Revenue Mobilization is a concept that needs to be fully understood and exploited in order to find the ways and procedures of its collection and utilization. However, many Local Government Administrations fail to develop appropriate measures for its improvement due to the problem of collection procedure between the collectors and the supervising department. This situation usually leads to uncoordinated budgeting procedure, inability of the local government to implement its proposed budgets, thereby leading to lack of development in local government in Nigeria. Therefore, in order to fully appreciate the benefit of effective revenue mobilization, the local governments should ensure that there is absolute delegation of authority and functions. Besides, there should be intensive training of such personal and periodic revenue research activity should be embarked upon as well as the mobilization of intelligence personnel to be employed for optimum performance. This will improve the amount of revenue collected and help develop the local government in Nigeria.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title Page - - - - - - - - - - i
Approval Page - - - - - - - - - ii
Certification - - - - - - - - - iii
Declaration - - - - - - - - - iii
Dedication - - - - - - - - - - iv
Acknowledgment - - - - - - - - v
Abstract - - - - - - - - - - vi
Table of Content - - - - - - - - - vii
1.1 Background of the Study
1.2 Statement of the Problem
1.3 Aims and Objective of the Study
1.4 Significance of the Study
1.5 Scope and Limitation of the Research
1.6 Definition of Terms
2.0 Research Review
2.2 Brief History of Sanga Local Government Area
2.3 Literature Review
2.4 Revenue Expenditure and Control
2.5 The New Local Government System
3.0 Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
Local Government revenue forms the major source of financing Local Administration in Nigeria. In view of the above statement, it becomes pertinent to study extensively the pattern of revenue mobilization, collection and appropriation as it relates to local government. Furthermore, apart from the central government, other sources of revenue need to be exploited for maximum benefits and development of local area especially Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The term Local Government does not have any specific definition. It has been seen and defined in so many ways depending on the perceptive one looks at it.It is yet to get a universally acceptable definition according to the United State Division of Public Administration. Local Government is a division of a nation which is constituted by the law and has substantial control over Local Government. This includes the power to impose tax and collect such taxes from its citizenry. The governing body of Local Government must be totally selected or elected.
Local Government is a political authority created by law at the community level to provide services of local nature to the area for which it was created. Generally, by the law of the Central Government, local government system of a state is created by act of the legislative while each local government authority is created by an instrument which defines its boundaries, structure, functions and powers. Local government has a legal personality which can sue and be sued.
Therefore, Local Governments are charged with the responsibility of mobilizing revenue to aid in the administration of the Local Government. Revenue is defined in the NigerianJournal of Administration volume IV No. 1973 page 13 as the total annual income accrued to a state from tax and other payments under the law that established administrative regions, villages and others. Otherwise, it is the total amount of money collected from individuals to the government or it is a compulsory payment made by individuals to the government. Government revenue is money that an organization receives over a period of time especially from service income, or the total money received by government through tax.
We cannot give money to government or public officers and go to sleep because we cannot vouch their performance and this brings us to the very important role of how revenue is being mobilized and effectively used in local administration.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMS
The idea of bringing government nearer to the people gave rise to the creation of states, yet it does not achieve the goals of spreading government policies. Not a pace at least that could match the breath taking needs of our percentage in this space age. It was healthy news therefore to all Nigerians when further steps were taken by introducing Local Government Reforms of 1976 for effective Local Government Administration at the local level taking Sanga Local Government Area as a case study area.
The glaring question is, which role has revenue played in the performance of local government/area function with particular reference to Sanga Local Government Council? What are the machineries used in the collection of that revenue? What are the periods of collecting this revenue? Who are the officers involved? Which department performs the duty at last? And who are the people supervising those officers responsible? These are some of the issues which this research intends to tackle. It is only when a problem is identified that efforts are made to find solutions to the problem.
1.3 AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The bulk of revenue of Sanga Local Government is raised for personal income tax, rates and statutory allocation for both Federal and State Government, the main aims of embarking on this research includes:
(1) To identify the problems associated with revenue mobilization of Sanga Local Government.
(2) To know other sources of revenue generation apart from those of 1976 Local Government Reform sources.
(3) To study the major sources of finance that are accrued to the Local Government Area.
(4) To know how revenue mobilization are controlled.
(5) To offer useful suggestions for improving generation of more revenue for industries and mines, investment and so on.
(6) To ascertain the achievement so far made by Sanga Area Council during past and present governments.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The finance and account department of the Local Government is the life wire of the organization. Therefore, the significance of the study is the revenue mobilization and for effective Local Government Administration. It is very important so as to bring about prudent management of the local government. Secondly, it is aimed at meeting the requirement for the award of National Diploma in Public Administration and Management in the Federal Training centre, Kaduna.
It is worthy to note that any study one embarks upon is as important as anything one thinks of. However, the purpose of this study is to examine the role of revenue in the development of local government and effective implementation of policies and programme.
1.5 SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE RESEARCH
This research will cover the area on revenue moibilization in Kaduna State and emphasis will be based on Sanga Local Government Area. More so, due to time span for the research which was too short, I could not visit the Local Government Council more than twice. Furthermore, the financial strengths of the researcher was lacking to some extent to pursue the research more vigorously.
1.6 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Revenue:- Is money that an organization receives over a period of time especially from services income. It is the total money received by government through tax.
Administration:-Activities that are involved in managing the work of organization. It can also be seen as a group of person with common interest of carrying out business for the purpose of making profitin the case of private administration and providing essential services in the case of public administration.
Mobilization:-Is to encourage people to support something in an active way and attempt to mobilize things or people you have available to achieve your goal.
Utilization:-Formal to use something for a particular purpose. For example, we must consider how best to utilize and control what resources we have.
Constitutional:-Officially allowed or limited by the system of rules of a state or organization.
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. FEDERAL CHARACTER/QUOTA SYSTEM AND PRODUCTIVITY OF EMPLOYEES IN NIGERIA PUBLIC SERVICE: A STUDY OF NATIONAL PLANNING COMMISSION, 2004 – 2014» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Plural and sharply divided societies all over the world attempt to manage their diversities and d...Continue Reading »
82 pages | 33 hits | Source: PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
» ABSTRACT Security concerns have existed since time immemorial. But, the challenges have never been as readily manifested as they are presently. This i...Continue Reading »
82 pages | 170 hits | Source: PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
» ABSTRACT This study was on investment management practices and growth of public enterprises in Enugu state, Nigeria. The objective of this thesis was ...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 154 hits | Source: PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
4. REVENUE GENERATION AND UTILIZATION OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREAS (A CASE STUDY OF UMUAHIA NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT)» ABSTRACT Revenue generation is the nucleus and the path to modern development. Thus, the study was to assess the revenue generation and utilization of...Continue Reading »
88 pages | 133 hits | Source: PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
5. THE IMPACT OF JOB SATISFACTION ON EMPLOYEE’S PERFORMANCE IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR: A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIA SECURITY AND CIVIL DEFENCE (NSCD)» CHAPTER ONEINTRODUCTION1.1 Background of the StudyIn contemporary organizations the yearning forsatisfaction is the most important issue on the part o...Continue Reading »
82 pages | 104 hits | Source: PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
6. The Impact of privatization and commercialization in public Enterprises in Nigeria. (A study of Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company).» ABSTRACTThe main purpose of his study was to determine the impact of privatization and commercialization of the public enterprise. The researcher has ...Continue Reading »
60 pages | 22 hits | Source: PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
7. THE ROLE OF PUBLIC RELATIONS IN CRISIS MANAGEMENT (A CASE STUDY OF THE ETITI IHITTE-UBOMA, LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF IMO STATE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Crisis emerged in the universe right from the beginning of man and has remain a reoccurring varia...Continue Reading »
78 pages | 154 hits | Source: PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study Agriculture in the context of the economy is tied with the various sectors and is esse...Continue Reading »
150 pages | 75 hits | Source: PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
9. THE ROLE OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT IN NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT (A case study of Local Government council in Lagos State)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The local government has long being in existence although it is under the supervision of the stat...Continue Reading »
79 pages | 94 hits | Source: PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
» ABSTRACT The purpose of this study is to look into the role of trade union in promoting workers productivity in an organization. In respect of this to...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 25 hits | Source: PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION