The Complete Project Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters. Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References Level : BTech/BSc/BA/HND/ND.
Get the complete project »
This study focuses on Revenue Mobilization as a tool for effective Local Government Administration, taking Sanga Local Government Area as a case study. Revenue Mobilization is a concept that needs to be fully understood and exploited in order to find the ways and procedures of its collection and utilization. However, many Local Government Administrations fail to develop appropriate measures for its improvement due to the problem of collection procedure between the collectors and the supervising department. This situation usually leads to uncoordinated budgeting procedure, inability of the local government to implement its proposed budgets, thereby leading to lack of development in local government in Nigeria. Therefore, in order to fully appreciate the benefit of effective revenue mobilization, the local governments should ensure that there is absolute delegation of authority and functions. Besides, there should be intensive training of such personal and periodic revenue research activity should be embarked upon as well as the mobilization of intelligence personnel to be employed for optimum performance. This will improve the amount of revenue collected and help develop the local government in Nigeria.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title Page - - - - - - - - - - i
Approval Page - - - - - - - - - ii
Certification - - - - - - - - - iii
Declaration - - - - - - - - - iii
Dedication - - - - - - - - - - iv
Acknowledgment - - - - - - - - v
Abstract - - - - - - - - - - vi
Table of Content - - - - - - - - - vii
1.1 Background of the Study
1.2 Statement of the Problem
1.3 Aims and Objective of the Study
1.4 Significance of the Study
1.5 Scope and Limitation of the Research
1.6 Definition of Terms
2.0 Research Review
2.2 Brief History of Sanga Local Government Area
2.3 Literature Review
2.4 Revenue Expenditure and Control
2.5 The New Local Government System
3.0 Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
Local Government revenue forms the major source of financing Local Administration in Nigeria. In view of the above statement, it becomes pertinent to study extensively the pattern of revenue mobilization, collection and appropriation as it relates to local government. Furthermore, apart from the central government, other sources of revenue need to be exploited for maximum benefits and development of local area especially Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The term Local Government does not have any specific definition. It has been seen and defined in so many ways depending on the perceptive one looks at it.It is yet to get a universally acceptable definition according to the United State Division of Public Administration. Local Government is a division of a nation which is constituted by the law and has substantial control over Local Government. This includes the power to impose tax and collect such taxes from its citizenry. The governing body of Local Government must be totally selected or elected.
Local Government is a political authority created by law at the community level to provide services of local nature to the area for which it was created. Generally, by the law of the Central Government, local government system of a state is created by act of the legislative while each local government authority is created by an instrument which defines its boundaries, structure, functions and powers. Local government has a legal personality which can sue and be sued.
Therefore, Local Governments are charged with the responsibility of mobilizing revenue to aid in the administration of the Local Government. Revenue is defined in the NigerianJournal of Administration volume IV No. 1973 page 13 as the total annual income accrued to a state from tax and other payments under the law that established administrative regions, villages and others. Otherwise, it is the total amount of money collected from individuals to the government or it is a compulsory payment made by individuals to the government. Government revenue is money that an organization receives over a period of time especially from service income, or the total money received by government through tax.
We cannot give money to government or public officers and go to sleep because we cannot vouch their performance and this brings us to the very important role of how revenue is being mobilized and effectively used in local administration.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMS
The idea of bringing government nearer to the people gave rise to the creation of states, yet it does not achieve the goals of spreading government policies. Not a pace at least that could match the breath taking needs of our percentage in this space age. It was healthy news therefore to all Nigerians when further steps were taken by introducing Local Government Reforms of 1976 for effective Local Government Administration at the local level taking Sanga Local Government Area as a case study area.
The glaring question is, which role has revenue played in the performance of local government/area function with particular reference to Sanga Local Government Council? What are the machineries used in the collection of that revenue? What are the periods of collecting this revenue? Who are the officers involved? Which department performs the duty at last? And who are the people supervising those officers responsible? These are some of the issues which this research intends to tackle. It is only when a problem is identified that efforts are made to find solutions to the problem.
1.3 AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The bulk of revenue of Sanga Local Government is raised for personal income tax, rates and statutory allocation for both Federal and State Government, the main aims of embarking on this research includes:
(1) To identify the problems associated with revenue mobilization of Sanga Local Government.
(2) To know other sources of revenue generation apart from those of 1976 Local Government Reform sources.
(3) To study the major sources of finance that are accrued to the Local Government Area.
(4) To know how revenue mobilization are controlled.
(5) To offer useful suggestions for improving generation of more revenue for industries and mines, investment and so on.
(6) To ascertain the achievement so far made by Sanga Area Council during past and present governments.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The finance and account department of the Local Government is the life wire of the organization. Therefore, the significance of the study is the revenue mobilization and for effective Local Government Administration. It is very important so as to bring about prudent management of the local government. Secondly, it is aimed at meeting the requirement for the award of National Diploma in Public Administration and Management in the Federal Training centre, Kaduna.
It is worthy to note that any study one embarks upon is as important as anything one thinks of. However, the purpose of this study is to examine the role of revenue in the development of local government and effective implementation of policies and programme.
1.5 SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE RESEARCH
This research will cover the area on revenue moibilization in Kaduna State and emphasis will be based on Sanga Local Government Area. More so, due to time span for the research which was too short, I could not visit the Local Government Council more than twice. Furthermore, the financial strengths of the researcher was lacking to some extent to pursue the research more vigorously.
1.6 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Revenue:- Is money that an organization receives over a period of time especially from services income. It is the total money received by government through tax.
Administration:-Activities that are involved in managing the work of organization. It can also be seen as a group of person with common interest of carrying out business for the purpose of making profitin the case of private administration and providing essential services in the case of public administration.
Mobilization:-Is to encourage people to support something in an active way and attempt to mobilize things or people you have available to achieve your goal.
Utilization:-Formal to use something for a particular purpose. For example, we must consider how best to utilize and control what resources we have.
Constitutional:-Officially allowed or limited by the system of rules of a state or organization.
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE IMPACT OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT ADMINISTRATION IN ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF NSUKKA LOCAL GOVERNMENT OF ENUGU STATE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY This study is a modest attempt at a lucid explication of the impact of local government in Nigeria. N...Continue Reading »
92 pages | 185 hits | Source: PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
2. THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN CAPACITY BUILDING AND ACCOUNTABILITY IN NIGERIA PUBLIC SECTOR: AN EXAMINATION (A CASE STUDY OF SOKOTO STATE TEACHER’S SERVI...» ...Continue Reading »
100 pages | 42 hits | Source: PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
3. RETIREMENT POLICY AND PROBLEM OF IMPLEMENTATION IN NIGERIAN PUBLIC SECTOR (A CASE STUDY OF ENUGU STATE CIVIL SERVICE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Retirement can be seen as the period of time in an employee’s, employment life when he or she h...Continue Reading »
112 pages | 264 hits | Source: PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The Nigerian banking industry has witnessed tremendous changes and expansion since the mid 1980s....Continue Reading »
93 pages | 68 hits | Source: PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
5. MULTI NATIONAL COMPANIES AND THEIR SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITIES IN THEIR HOST COMMUNITIES (A CASE STUDY OF SHELL COMPANY PORT-HARCOURT, RIVER STATE)» Abstract The aim of this research was to x ray some causes of poor performance of pupils in primary school mathematics. Specifically, the study examin...Continue Reading »
84 pages | 152 hits | Source: PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
» Abstract This research titled “The effect of bureaucracy on employees productivities. A study of Enugu State water corporation” was carrie...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 24 hits | Source: PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
7. THE CONTRIBUTION OF YOUTH ORGANIZATIONS IN COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT IN KADUNA NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY In Nigeria, youth activities date back to the pre colonial era within youth, in spite of their li...Continue Reading »
89 pages | 135 hits | Source: PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
8. THE ROLE OF PUBLIC RELATIONS IN CRISIS MANAGEMENT (A CASE STUDY OF THE ETITI IHITTE-UBOMA, LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF IMO STATE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Crisis emerged in the universe right from the beginning of man and has remain a reoccurring varia...Continue Reading »
78 pages | 181 hits | Source: PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
9. THE IMPACT OF HUMAN RESOURCE IN AN ORGANIZATION (A CASE STUDY OF REVENUE MOBILIZATION, ALLOCATION AND FISCAL COMMISSION, ABUJA)» ABSTRACT Human resource (people) plays a vital role in contributing to the success of any organization. In fact, without human resource development, a...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 53 hits | Source: PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
10. PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS OF COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF UKAM COMMUNITY IN MKPAT-ENIN LOCAL GOVERNMENT OF AKWA IBOM STATE)» ABSTRACT People in rural communities contribute a lot towards the development of their areas either by providing the labour required to execute the pr...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 50 hits | Source: PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION