Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 46 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Local government was nationally acclaimed as the their tier of government in 1976, it is a government. Exercised by democratically in 1976, it is a government exercised by democratically elected local council in line with the 1979 constitution, which recognized local government as the third tier of government.
Local government is widely acknowledged as a viable instrument for the delivery of social services to the people, it so strategically located to fully carry out the above functions because of its nearness to the people.
However, people at the grass root are only able to understand and recognize local government because they are able to feel its presence and impacts on their day-to-day activities.
Local government is a determinant approach at ensuring bottom top transformation through responsive decentralization of national development strategies; it is not just a permanent feature in the political arrangement of he country but equally the most viable centers for grassroots transformation. It is generally referred to as the best form of decentralization.
It has a developed power being recognized by the constitution. To this end, every state in the federal shall ensure their existence under a law, which provide for the establishment, structure, composition, finance and function of such local government council.
In order to reduce the work load being piled up on the local government service board which was created to carry out some specific functions and again to give enough freedom to carry out their functions devoid of undue political interference, the boards were transformed to commission following the recommendations of the Dasuke committee of 1984 which was assigned with the responsibility to look into how best to ramp the concept of viable and efficient system of local gove4rmnet administration in the country.
It is to be noted that with the creation or formation of local government service commission, the local governments no longer have any effective control over their staff. This was however, a deliberate design against the nepotism, corruption or sectionalism and other abuses, which attended to matter relating to personnel of the local government in the past years.
The proponents of the local government service board commission believed that the local government should be more effective in the performance of their lawful duties if their staff do not operate under fear and tension of victimization. How much this has been achieved is the focus of the study.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMS
The problems of this study centers on the following issues:
i. What are the statutory function of local government service commission.
ii. To what extent id the local government service commission interfering with the functions and powers of local government in the d is charge of their responsibilities?
iii. What are the problems facing he local government service commission in the discharge of responsibility.
However, frequent change of government effects the existing system of local government and the performance of the function of local government service commission ?
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
i. To highlight the statutory function of the local government service commission.
ii. To assess how far the local government service commission in Kogi state has performed its statutory function
iii. To highlight the problem which the commission face in the performance of its function.
iv. To prescribe wags of Alleviating such problems
v. Suggest ways of making the commission more effect in the performance of its functions.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The study is significant in the sense that it makes us to know the relationship between local government service commission and the local government councils across Kogi State.
The study is also important because it enable us understand the role of local government service commission to the local council. It is also very valuable the functionaries of the local government council as it educates them on the relationship of the local government service commission to their councils.
It is equally believed that the study will enhance the growth and development of the performance of local government across the nation.
It is equally valuable to students and researchers.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTION
1. Is Budgeting provision the determining factor in the recruitment and selection of staff in the local government
1.5 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
However, because of the time factor which is not on our side and the un-cooperative attitude of some respondents and government officials who are supposed to release necessary documents for the research project.
Secondly, because of financial constraints as a result of poor responses of some students who found it difficult to pay their levies.
It should be limited to Kogi state with a particular reference from local government service commission headquarters Lokoja.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The study centers on the role of the local government service commission in the management of local government in Kogi state.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
i. Local government service commission: It is the body that is charged with the responsibility of administering the senior staff of the local government in Nigeria.
ii. Local government service board: This is the body that was transformed to be local government service commission.
iii. Establishment management committee: The are the committee that handle the personal function of the staff of the local government on a preliminary basis before being passed to local government and local government service commission for defined decision.
iv. Senior staff management committee: It is he committee that holds preliminary discussions and deliberation or interview on the promotion or confirmation of appointment and discipline e of the senior staff on GL of and Above.
v. Junior staff management committee: This is the committee that discusses staff matters affecting staff of the local government on GL 01-06.
vi. Unified local government service: this explain the system whereby staff of local government on grade lever 70 and above in the state are administered on the same umbrella without any prejudice and again that is to say that local government service commission have uniform condition of service under unified system, senior staff of the local government can be posted to any local government.
vii. Role: it is noun; it has to do with duty, task or junction. It also has to do with making the necessary impression form of service.
viii. Posting: The deployment of staff to a particular duty post or office.
ix. Employment: the engagement of a person, service in return for some financial reqw3ard either salaries or wages.
x. Disengagement/separation: Bringing to an end the service of a person I an organization. It can take the form of retirement, termination of appointment, dismissal/retrenchment, resignation or withdrawn from service.
xi. Human resources: The people whose services are engaged by an organization.
xii. Seminar/workshop: This is a short term training covering a period of within one day to two weeks, organized for the staff of an organization in order to acquaint them with new knowledge in different fields for the purpose of enhancing their performance at work.
xiii. Autonomy: Freedom to carry out ones duties without external interferences.
xiv. Statutory obligation/functions: The duties that have been assigned to an organization legally by the constitution of the statute establishing the organization.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE ROLE OF EDUCATED NIGERIA WOMEN IN THE SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF OUR COUNTRY (A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIA)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Over four decade years ago educated Nigerian women were left out in most of the national issues. Mo...Continue Reading »
2. THE ROLE OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT IN NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT (A case study of Local Government council in Lagos State)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The local government has long being in existence although it is under the supervision of the stat...Continue Reading »
3. EFFECTIVE TEACHING OF HEALTH EDUCATION IN PRIMARY SCHOOLS (A CASE STUDY OF SELECTED SCHOOLS IN BWARI AREA COUNCIL, FCT-ABUJA)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY In developed and developing countries there are wide range of taxes and levies that affect indivi...Continue Reading »
4. ASSESSMENT OF THE EFFECTS OF THE IMPLEMENTATION OF CONTRIBUTORY PENSION SCHEME ON RETIREMENT BENEFITS IN KANO STATE: A STUDY OF KANO STATE PENSION FUN...» ABSTRACT This study is an assessment of the effects of the implementation of contributory pension scheme on retirement benefits in Kano state: A study...Continue Reading »
5. THE IMPACT OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT ADMINISTRATION IN ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF NSUKKA LOCAL GOVERNMENT OF ENUGU STATE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY This study is a modest attempt at a lucid explication of the impact of local government in Nigeria. N...Continue Reading »
6. THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN CAPACITY BUILDING AND ACCOUNTABILITY IN NIGERIA PUBLIC SECTOR: AN EXAMINATION (A CASE STUDY OF SOKOTO STATE TEACHER’S SERVI...» ...Continue Reading »
7. THE CONTRIBUTION OF YOUTH ORGANIZATIONS IN COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT IN KADUNA NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY In Nigeria, youth activities date back to the pre colonial era within youth, in spite of their li...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCION 1.1 BACKGROUND INFORMATION The history and importance of community based organization (CBO) in rural areas is a long one. They...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION 1.0 INTRODUCTION Motivation on bank employee was established by the organization (bank) with the aim to reset the healthy co...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONEINTRODUCTION1.1 Background of the StudyIn recent times, world attention is being focused on the importance of manpower planning and develop...Continue Reading »