Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
ONE OF TOPICAL ISSUES OF DISCUSSION THESE DAY IN MOST ORGANIZATION IS MANPOWER DEVELOPMENT AND ITS RETENTION TO INCREASED PRODUCTIVITY. THIS PROJECT IS GEARED TOWARDS STUDYING MANPOWER DEVELOPMENT AND PRODUCTIVITY IN TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS USING THE FEDERAL POLYTECHNIC OKO AS A CASE STUDY. THE RESEARCH EXHAUSTIVELY EXPLAINED THE CONCEPT OF MANPOWER DEVELOPMENT AND IT’S APPLICATION TO ANY ORGANIZATION. HOWEVER IN THE COURSE OF THIS STUDY, IT WAS DISCOVERED THAT ONE OF THE MAJOR REASONS ON LOW PERFORMANCE ON THE PART OF MANY EMPLOYEES IN THE HIGHER INSTITUTIONS IS THAT MOST OF THEM IN KEY AREAS HAVE NOT BEEN WELL EQUIPPED WITH PROPER SKILLS OR KNOWLEDGE TO ENABLE THEM EFFECTIVELY HANDLE THE RESPONSIBILITY ASSIGNED TO THEM. ALSO DISCOVERED AS HINDERING TO INCREASED PRODUCTIVITY IS THE INABILITY OF THE INSTITUTION TO RETAIN THE STAFF ALREADY EQUIPPED WITH SPECIALIZED SKILLS, THEREFORE, THIS RESEARCH REPORT STANDS TO RECOMMEND WAYS THROUGH WHICH MANPOWER DEVELOPMENT AND ITS EVENTUAL PRODUCTIVITY SHOULD BE GIVEN SERIOUS ATTENTION THEY DESERVE. THE LITERATURE REVIEW AND THE THEORETICAL FRAMEWORK PROVIDED IN THIS STUDY ONLY SERVED AS AN IDEAL AGAINST WHICH THE OVERALL MANPOWER DEVELOPMENT EFFORT AND ALL OTHER PROCESS THAT GO WITH IT IN ANY ORGANIZATION AND FEDERAL POLYTECHNIC OKO, TO BE SPECIFIC CAN BE ASSESSED. INFORMATION AND OTHER MATERIALS THEREIN WERE OBTAINED DIRECTLY THROUGH DOCUMENTARY SOURCE, PERSONAL INTERVIEW AND QUESTIONNAIRES FOR ORIGINALITY FOR ADEQUACY, WHICH FORMED THE BASED FOR THE FINDINGS AND RECOMMENDATIONS THEREIN.
No organization has ever succeeded without human effort, in fact, human effort is undoubtedly the sine-qua-non for the extent to which the set goals of this organization are realized or not realized. This is simple because every other resource that contributes the organizational goal attainment are initiated and determined by the person who make up the organization.
Onah (1995), quoting Oguyi emphasize the importance of manpower in nation building. He says that:
No nation in the world can carry out any of its development, programme without adequate and competent manpower. The vital role of manpower comes into focus both in time of peace and when nation is at war. Qualified manpower is not only the critical but a measure of nation strength, security and well being.
The human resources of a nation hold the key to its survival, prosperity and future economic and social development.
The realization of the above fact explains the pre-occupational of every management with some personnel functions, recruitment, employer/labour relation, welfare, reward and punishment of the workforce to enhance productivity. However, manpower development and its eventual management do not seem to have received the attention they deserve. Thus the genesis of the problem of low productivity may well lay with the manpower development strategies of the organization and also eventual inadequacy. How a the management of Federal Polytechnic Oko has carried out these aspect of personnel functions to facilitate the day to day running of the school is the focus of this work.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The school was established in 1981 through the collective effort of the community as a self-help project. It is located in Orumba North Local Government Area of Anambra State. Under the regime of Dr. Alex Ekwueme who was the former civilian vice president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. The institution was formally known as college of Arts and Science in 1979.
Thereafter, it was upgrade to college of Arts, Science and Technology in June 28th; 1980. The college was formally formalized as Anambra State Polytechnic Oko (ANAMPOLY). It is today known as Federal Polytechnic, Oko.
There was low level of productivity and development in the institution then, but today with the effort of Prof. Godwin Onu, the Rector Federal Polytechnic Oko there are a lot of changes and rapid development in the institution.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMS
Manpower Development and productivity in Federal Polytechnic, Oko has been very poor due to the reasons of administrative inefficiencies like
a. Financial in adequace for staff training and development.
b. Lack of conducive classroom for students.
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The research was undertaken to study manpower development and productivity using the Federal Polytechnic Oko as a case study to achieve the following.
i. To find out the extent to which the institution promotes manpower development.
ii. To find out the relationship between training and productivity in the institution.
iii. To discover the effect of staff training development on career expectation and job mobility.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This study is significant in three ways; it serves are fulfillment of the requirement for the award of Higher National Diploma (HND) in public administration.
It will contribute to the body of knowledge on the topic academically.
The findings and recommendation in the work can be valuable as a guide in formulating manpower development and productivity policies for Polytechnics institution in the country.
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTION
1) Do the staff of Federal Polytechnic Oko go for training from time to time?
2) What do you consider to be the major problem facing Federal Polytechnic Oko?
3) Can training programme improves the performance of Federal Polytechnic Oko?
4) What is the attitude of the management towards training and development of staff of Federal Polytechnic Oko?
5) Are staff of Federal Polytechnic Oko return from training effectively utilized?
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This study is confined to only manpower development and productivity in the Federal Polytechnic Oko.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
This research work may not be undertaken successfully without attempt to define key concepts as they are used in this study for proper conceptualization.
CIVIL SERVICE – According to Ugbo (2008), she says, civil service is that component of the large public services which is centrally placed to provide guidance, advice, general supervision and co-ordination of government operations- both at the state and federal levels.
PUBLIC SERVICE: Public service is different from civil service embraces the civil service and other paratatals, commission and agencies of government services to the public.
TRAINING: It is a process by which employees systematically acquire basic skills, knowledge and attitude for efficient performance of their duties. Training enables employees to unlearn undesirable job behviour and to learn or relearn acceptable job behaviour, normal and practices for through job performance. Training seeks relatively performance change in the individual that will improve his or her ability to perform on the job.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT Apart from the impacts of ICT on the entire societal fabric, one of the goals of Ahmadu Bello University is to be a renowned and celebrated a...Continue Reading »
2. IMPACT OF CASH MANAGEMENT ON STATE PUBLIC SECTOR IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF OSUN STATE OF NIGERIA BETWEEN AUGUST 2014 AND JULY 2015)» ASTRACT The research work was to investigate the impact of cash management on the state public sector of Nigeria. The stated hypothesis is to determin...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This project investigates the growth and development of travel agency business in Kaduna metropolis. Brief history of travel agency was discu...Continue Reading »
4. ASSESSMENT OF THE INFLUENCE OF CONFLICT RESOLUTION ON THE PERFORMANCE OF PUBLIC ORGANIZATION (A CASE STUDY OF KADUNA STATE CIVIL SERVICE)» BACKGROUNDThe assessment of conflict management on organization harmony cannot be over emphasized as it has become a virtual tool used in promoting or...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study The public library is established to provide materials, which communicate experience and ideas fr...Continue Reading »
» Abstract This research titled “The effect of bureaucracy on employees productivities. A study of Enugu State water corporation” was carrie...Continue Reading »
7. ENTREPRENEURIAL COMPETENCIES AS AN ENTREPRENEURIAL DISTINCTIVE: AN EXAMINATION OF THE COMPETENCY APPROACH IN DEFINING ENTREPRENEURS» Abstract Financial Statement Analysis and Interpretation is a very vital instrument of good management decision making in business enterprise. Good de...Continue Reading »
8. MANAGEMENT OF INDUSTRIAL CONFLICT IN NIGERIAN TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS (A STUDY OF INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT AND TECHNOLOGY, ENUGU» ABSTRACT The broad objective of this work is to Appraise Industrial conflict in Nigerian Tertiary Institutions with a particular reference to Institut...Continue Reading »
9. THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN CAPACITY BUILDING AND ACCOUNTABILITY IN NIGERIA PUBLIC SECTOR: AN EXAMINATION (A CASE STUDY OF SOKOTO STATE TEACHER’S SERVI...» ...Continue Reading »
10. EXAMINE THE PROBLEM OF RURAL WATER SUPPLY USING UTAGBA-UNO AREA OF NDOKWA-WEST LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF DELTA STATE» ABSTRACT The concern of this study is to examine the problem of rural water supply using Utagba Uno area of Ndokwa West Local Government Area of Delta...Continue Reading »