Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 57 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This research study is concerned with the effect of store design on materials handling a case study of Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) kaduna for better understanding of the work effort was made at the introduction stage to explain the general importance of store design with special consideration being placed on its impact in an industry especially Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) kaduna. The general problem was also emphasized on such problems as negligence of management of store activities, construction cost, poor storage design. Also discussed is objective of the study which include, to examine the effect of store design on materials handling to ascertain difficulties associated with store design on materials handling. The significant of the study to the academic, the organization, the entire populace and the researcher is also discussed research question was also derived which include to know if store design have effect on material handling and the difficulties associated with store design. The survey research designed is adopted simple sampling procedure was employed. The researcher used questionnaire, interview and documentary source techniques too retrieve data. The likert four rating scale techniques is adopted to analyse the data. Finding made among which are, that store design have a great effect on materials handling activities in the organization that the organization store design is often faced with difficulties and that engagement of professional will help to curb the difficulties faced by the store design. Also the researcher included that the design of store should be in accordance with the store operational activities of the firms, that the organization placed on importance consideration on store design and lastly amongst recommendation made are, the engagement of professional in the management of he store design activities of the organization, align the store design with the organization activities to effect the effectiveness of the activities and that the top management should give a considerable support to the design of the store activities to ensure its effectiveness.
1.1 Background of the Study
A store is an essential limb of an organization. It is the depository of all materials required by the organizations in the organization and supplies materials as an when required.
It is important to note that the store is an area of great expenditure in manufacturing and assembling plant. It is true that store function is a major cost centre which make use of 70-75% annual budget of the firm (Dangana 2005) and thus it can affect saving and therefore contribute significantly and therefore contribute significantly to the profit of the organization.
However, in today’s highly competitive and globalized business world, store design is of great importance as a substantial number of instances have show that people charge with the function and responsibility of designing and managing the store are given little or no attention in the organization. This may be as a result of poor understanding store design or inappropriate application of it.
More so, the variety of items sometimes, store is so large that a planned system is necessary to keep the secured and in order. The stored items should be identified and issues with minimum effort and minimum time. Thus this calls for a store structure suitable to carry on various activities efficiently and productivity and developing a system that ensure safety of men and materials.
Most often the design of a store house determiners to a large extent the materials movement pattern and the limited type of handling equipment that can be used. This result in fact that most customers demand for goods and services within and outside the organization are incremental in nature as they opt for speedy, convenient and reliable delivery of materials and service.
However, the need to curtail the amount of waste and improve the level of customer’s service within such organization has brought the use of the term store design ad its impact in materials handling. It should also be noted at this junction that any knowledge of how a store should be designed must incorporate the knowledge of how a store should be designed must incorporate the knowledge of how materials would be moved.
Therefore, the research work develops the effective utilization of store design and it prospect in the organization with reference to enhancing and ensuring effective materials handling in the organization.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
One vital decision that firms make is how to design and where locate their storage facilities. This decision goes a long way in determining the extent to which the firm will achieve its objectives. That is to get products and services to customer faster and at lesser cost to the firm and customers.
Neglecting to manage the activities effectively can result in inefficiencies that out weigh gains or benefit in good management of such vital activities as transportation materials handing, inventory management and maintenance and information flow.
However, organizations are faced with various problems to design a store house. Some of these problems may include; construction cost, cost of installation, cost of land, rate levied upon the new building by local authority and cost of survey, planning designing. Other problems may also include cost of materials handling i.e (equipment needed to load and off load materials and also for transporting materials), cost of storage equipment needed, and payment to building contact and for other incidental cost.
As a result, a poor storage design will result in poor performance such as materials damages and obsolescence, theft and pilfering, poor communication network, difficulties in the movement of materials within and outside etc regardless of the firms position in the industry or its product acceptability in other location.
1.3 Objective of the Study
i. To examine the effect of store design on materials handling
ii. To ascertain difficulties associated with store design on materials handing.
iii. To identify necessary solution to curb these difficulties.
iv. To determine the degree of importance of placed to store building in PHCN.
1.4 Significance of the Study
The findings of the research will be useful to power holding company of Nigeria (PHCN) Kaduna as it will enhance or improve the store design system and techniques effectively and efficiently.
Prospective researchers may find findings of the researcher as a reference point particularly for those who may wish to carry out further research on the related field under study.
To the entire populace, that come across this research work, the research work will provide them with the knowledge on the important store design on material handling is to an organization and it will also add value to their knowledge. Also it will serve as pre-requisite for the award of Higher National Diploma (HND) in Purchasing and Supply management.
1.5 Scope of the Study
This research work is based on the effects of store design on materials handling with consideration to power holding company of Nigeria (PHCN) Kaduna. Ali Akilu road Kaduna north local government. The research work will be centered on the effect of store design on materials handling in the organization with regard to the management and staff of PHCN.
The findings of this research work will primarily base on the data from the stores, distribution, marketing and production management of power holding company of Nigeria located at Ali Akilu road kaduna north local government kaduna.
1.6 Research Questions
i. Does store design have any effect on material handling?
ii. What are the difficulties associated with store design?
iii. What are the solution to curb these difficulties?
iv. What is the degree of importance placed on store building in PHCN?
1.7 Definition of Terms
Store: is a place where items may be accumulated or routinely kept. It is set up in order to receive, inspect, hold and issue all assets of an organization while helping to maintain its original quality and balance flow of materials as well as achieving the very important roles of store function.
Design: the way that something has been planned or made to draw or plan something that will be made, done or built in other to permit a smooth handling and storage of materials at the lowest possible cost.
Store design: could be described as the planning and layout of store house structure to permit smooth handling and storage of store at the lowest possible.
Material handling: as that operational activity involving manuals or automated movement of materials and other goods from one location to another within an organization or time in good condition and efficiently.
Shelves: a board for laying thing on or this is pieces of woods or iron that are placed on the wall where goods and other office materials are kept. In some places they are designed in cubes.
Pallets: a sample device that place mechanically operated forks under a load so that it can be raised up from grounds and are usually made of woods.
Gangways: this is a long and normally a narrow way in store house and environment for operating of handling equipment to facilitated movement of materials in and out of the store.
Stockyard: this is an open storage space with an organization in other words. It is a type of store not housed but segregated purposely for storage not of non perishable.
Receipt: is the process of accepting from all resource all materials and parts which are used in the organization including supplier for manufacturing, plant maintenance officer, capital installation and finished products.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE PROBLEMS OF EFFECTIVE UTILIZATION OF REVENUE AVAILABLE TO LOCAL GOVERNMENTS IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF ANINRI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF ENUGU STAT...» ABSTRACT When the researcher chose this topic: THE PROBLEMS OF EFFECTIVE UTILIZATION OF REVENUE AVAILABLE TO LOCAL GOVERNMENT, she was inspired by the...Continue Reading »
2. GLOBALIZATION AND CULTURE IN THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY: A STUDY OF NKADIOKA IGBU-ICHI CULTURAL FESTIVAL» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 Introduction Cultural practices such as festivals have in recent times been under severe pressure. This has been as a result of global...Continue Reading »
3. GIRL-CHILD EDUCATION AND ITS CHALLENGES IN KAGARKO AND SABON GARI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREAS OF KADUNA STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study The girl child is a biological female offspring from birth to 18 years of age. During this period...Continue Reading »
4. IMPROVING ORGANIZATION EFFICIENCY THROUGH CONFLICT RESOLUTION AND MANAGEMENT CASE STUDY INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT AND TECHNOLOGY (I.M.T) ENUGU.» ABSTRACT We have been studying a critical issue on the shore of conflict in an organization, it’s so crucial that every hand has to be on deck t...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to Study With an expanding population of over 120 million, and an estimated oil reserve totaling to about 41.5...Continue Reading »
6. EFFECTIVE TEACHING OF HEALTH EDUCATION IN PRIMARY SCHOOLS (A CASE STUDY OF SELECTED SCHOOLS IN BWARI AREA COUNCIL, FCT-ABUJA)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY In developed and developing countries there are wide range of taxes and levies that affect indivi...Continue Reading »
7. EXAMINE THE PROBLEM OF RURAL WATER SUPPLY USING UTAGBA-UNO AREA OF NDOKWA-WEST LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF DELTA STATE» ABSTRACT The concern of this study is to examine the problem of rural water supply using Utagba Uno area of Ndokwa West Local Government Area of Delta...Continue Reading »
8. MANAGING HIV\AIDS STIGMA IN THE WORKPLACE; CASE STUDY OF THE EASTERN CAPE DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of Study According to UNAIDS Report (2004), almost five million people became newly infected with HIV in 2003,...Continue Reading »
9. ASSESSMENT OF THE SOCIO-CULTURAL FACTORS AFFECTING GIRL-CHILD EDUCATION IN SABON-GARI AND ZARIA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREAS OF KADUNA STATE» ABSTRACT This study examined the socio cultural factors and challenges affecting girl child education in Sabon gari and Zaria Local Government Areas o...Continue Reading »
10. THE IMPACT OF JOB SATISFACTION ON EMPLOYEE’S PERFORMANCE IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR: A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIA SECURITY AND CIVIL DEFENCE (NSCD)» CHAPTER ONEINTRODUCTION1.1 Background of the StudyIn contemporary organizations the yearning forsatisfaction is the most important issue on the part o...Continue Reading »