Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 59 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 Background of the Study
Corporate Governance is a number of process, customers, policies, laws and institutions which impacts on the way a company is controlled. An important theme of corporate governance is the nature and extent of accountability of people in the business and mechanisms that try to decrease the principal agent problem (Wikipedia, 2011).
Corporate Governance also includes the relationships among the many stakeholders involved and the goals for which the corporation is governed. In contemporary business corporations, the main external stakeholder groups are shareholders, debt holders, trade creditors, suppliers, customer and communities affected by the corporation’s activities. Informal stakeholders are the board of directors, executives and other employees. It guarantees that an enterprise is directed and controlled in a responsible, professional, and transparent manner with the purpose of safeguarding its long-tem success it is intended to increase the confidence of shareholders and capital market investors.
The World Bank (2009) states that corporate governance comprises two mechanisms, internal and external corporate governance. Internal corporate governance, giving priority to shareholder’s interest, operated on the board of directors to monitor top management. On the other hand, external corporate governance monitors and controls manager’s behaviors by means of external regulations and force, in which many parties, such as suppliers, debtors (stakeholders), accountants, lawyers, and providers of credit and investment bank.
In the past, so many corporate organizations have been caught of getting involved in unethical practices, for example the discovery of financial scam by the Central Bank of Nigeria after the consolidation exercise, involving seven top bank executives in Nigeria, which puts the credibility of their corporate image under suspicion, which further shocking investors confidence. Consequently, corporate governance mechanism has been a crucial issue discussed again.
It is against this background that the researcher see the subject matter; corporate governance and its impact on the management of MTN Mobile Communication Limited, Kaduna main branch as an issue worthy of being investigated.
1.2 Statement of Problem
In the past, so many organizations in Nigeria have been involved in unethical practices, which puts the credibility of their corporate image doubt. As such MTN Mobile Communications just like other telecommunication company have been constraint with issues arising form customer’s complaint of high tariffs, exploitations of workers by using contract staff as against direct engagement of workers that would be remunerated according to their condition of service. Previous researches into the subject has brought to light the poor governance of so many companies with indebted accounts in Nigeria economy. Their accounting systems did not reflect the companies financial status. A typical example is the financial scam of Oceanic and Intercontinental Bank after the consolidation. Most management of such outfits were not accountable to stakeholders of the companies. Besides, the counts and the regulatory agencies were short of authority, corruption and kickbacks were part of the system in the companies. The poor governance practices led to the collapse of so many companies in Nigeria. Hence the need to study corporate governance and its impact on the management of MTN Mobile Communication Kaduna main branch.
1.3 Objective of the Study
The main objective of the study is to examine the corporate governance and its impact on the performance of an organization. The specific objectives are:
i) To examine the effect of corporate governance on the performance of MTN.
ii) To examine the internal and external corporate governance control mechanism in MTN.
iii) To identify the systemic problems of corporate governance in MTN.
iv) To proffer workable solutions to the identified problem of corporate governance in MTN.
1.4 Significance of the Study
The study will be significant to MTN Mobile Communication especially as they utilize the findings of this research in enhancing policy governance in their organization. The study will also add to the existing knowledge on the subject matter and will also be a reference material for further research on corporate governance.
1.5 Research Questions
The central research question is: What is the impact of corporate governance on the management of MTN Mobile Communication? The specific questions are:
i) How does corporate governance affect the performance of MTN?
ii) What are the internal and external corporate governance control mechanism in place in MTN?
iii) What are the systemic problems militating against corporate governance in MTN?
iv) What are the solutions to such problems?
1.6 Scope of the Study
The study covers the examination of the impact of corporate governance on an organization using MTN Mobile Communication as a case study. The collection of empirical data is limited to MTN Mobile Communication Kaduna main office. The study covers a time from 2006 – 2011.
1.7 Definition of Terms
Corporate Governance: This is relationship that exists between the different participants, and defining the direction of the firm.
Corporation: This refers to corporate entity or a body by means of which capital is acquired, used for investing in assets producing goods and services.
Shareholders: People who have invested in a company through subscribing to the company’s stock.
Board Structure: Management at the top comprising of board of directors.
Ownership Structure: Shareholders and directors.
CEO: Acronym for Chief Executive Officer.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. PROBLEMS AND SOLUTION OF COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF IBAGWA-AKA COMMUNITY IN IGBO-EZE SOUTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF ENUGU STAT...» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title Page ………………………………………&...Continue Reading »
2. THE DEVELOPMENT AND PROMOTION OF JACARANDA POTTERY FOR SUSTANABLE TOURISM DEVELOPMENT IN CHIKUN LOCAL GOVERNMENT OF KADUNA STATE» CHAPTER I (INTRODUCTION) 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Nigeria is sitting on a tourism goldmine, which is as rich if not richer than oil. The tourism in...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Security concerns have existed since time immemorial. But, the challenges have never been as readily manifested as they are presently. This i...Continue Reading »
4. THE EFFECT OF PRIVATIZATION AND COMMERCIALIZATION OF GOVERNMENT OWNED COMPANIES ON DEVELOPING ECONOMY: (A CASE STUDY OF PHCN, ENUGU).» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Today, we are witnesses to sweeping changes that are taking place in the economies of both de...Continue Reading »
5. FEDERAL CHARACTER/QUOTA SYSTEM AND PRODUCTIVITY OF EMPLOYEES IN NIGERIA PUBLIC SERVICE: A STUDY OF NATIONAL PLANNING COMMISSION, 2004 – 2014» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Plural and sharply divided societies all over the world attempt to manage their diversities and d...Continue Reading »
6. THE CONTRIBUTION OF WOMEN IN COMMUNITY SELF HELP EFFORT (A Case Study of Kaduna South Local Government Area)» ABSTRACT The purpose of this study was to investigate the contribution of women to community development with special reference to women in Kaduna Sou...Continue Reading »
7. “IMPACTS OF TRADE UNIONISM AND COLLECTIVE BARGAINING IN PROMOTING JOB SATISFACTION IN THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT SYSTEM. A STUDY OF NATIONAL UNION OF LOCA...» Abstract The paper discussed the impact of trade union and collective bargaining in promoting job satisfaction in Abakaliki Local government area of E...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This project topic “The Significance of Cost Control in Hotel Industry” tends to examine the control of cost in most Hotels, taki...Continue Reading »
9. POLITICS OF POVERTY REDUCTION IN NIGERIA: A STUDY OF THE ACTIVITIES OF EBONYI STATE COMMUNITY POVERTY REDUCTION AGENCY (EB-CPRA) IN ABAKALIKI L...» ABSTRACT This study titled “Politics of Poverty Reduction in Nigeria” A study of the activities of Ebonyi State Community Poverty Reductio...Continue Reading »
10. AN APPRAISAL OF THE ADMINISTRATION OF PERSONAL INCOME TAXATION: A CASE STUDY OF ABIA STATE BOARD OF INTERNAL REVENUE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY In developed and developing countries there are wide range of taxes and levies that affect indivi...Continue Reading »