Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 62 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 Background of the study
This study is a modest attempt at a lucid explanation of the role of local government in Nigeria.Nigerian local government system have witnessed tremendous transformation since the introduction of the 1988 civil service reforms one of the changes introduced at the local government is the direct payment of their statutory allocations which was also increased from 15%-20%, in addition, local government auditor was established by each sates government to ensure proper utilization of financial resources at the local level to avoid misappropriation of public fund. Also, all local governments now have a common structure which distinguishes them from service department. Local government at any level has some roles such as; the maintenances of law and order, the promotion of economic and social development etc. They are left with considerable freedom to actual will for the interest of the local community. Form the administrative point of view, the government as an agent of development is well placed to help the rural areas to develop. These can be done by investing in social and economic infrastructure such as; roads, hospitals, bridges, schools, electricity and telecommunication. The other essential duties inherited by native authorities include; water supplies, markets and libraries. We generally regard the convenience list as including those extra amenities which makes life better in the communities other than the stated ones. These include; creation of bus and lorry parks, the regulation of land cards on the streets, community recreation centers, parks and open spaces, grazing areas and fuel plantations, the naming of streets and the numbering of houses These are recognized automatically as the responsibility of the local government. They also help in service of parks control and water supply, electricity and gas, the provision of road of transport and any other trading undertaking that the state government authorizes. The local government also takes responsibility for health orientation and drug supplies, midwifery services arrangement of health visit and home nursing to provide facilities for immunization and vaccination.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM.
The local government is expected to become more active in facilitation social and economic development at the grassroots level. The local government is a potential social and economic booster if well equipped.
Although some factors like inadequate finance, lack of technical manpower, denial of autonomy militate against the efficient administration at the local level.The local government despite these problems struggles to maintain a high standard in socio-economic development. The researchers want to identify those areas (roles) that the local government has excelled in terms of social and economic development using udi local government of enugu state as a case study
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The major objectives of the study are:
1. To identify different factors militating against the effectiveness of local government administration and solutions to those problems identified
2. To ascertain the role local government plays in socio-economic and political development in the community
3. To ascertain the relationship between role play by local government and the community development
1.4 RESEARCH HYPOTHESES
For the successful completion of the study, the following research hypotheses were formulated by the researcher;
H0: there are no factors militating against the effectiveness of local government administration and solutions to those problems identified
H1: there are factors militating against the effectiveness of local government administration and solutions to those problems identified.
H02:there are no relationship between the role play by local government and the community development
H2:there are no relationship between the role play by local government and the community development
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The need and important of the research is obvious. At a time when local government has come to assume on over whelming influence on the process of political and economic development, it becomes more relevant to examine much more closely the characters and dynamics of this third tier of government and to clarify the major contradiction that have tended to impede it’s capacity to promote development at the local level. However a scientific study of this kind becomes necessary especially at this time when the past and present civilian administration is particularly concerned with rural development.Finally, this study will generally aid to the growing number of literatures on local government affairs more particularly on the roles of local government administration in economic and social development of rural areas in Nigeria and pragmatic solutions offered towards making them more efficient and responsive to the needs of rural dweller and also to policy makers and researchers alike
1.6 SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This research area and dimension of coverage is based only on the roles of local government administration in economic and social development of rural areas in Nigeria and to the staff, teachers, farmers, businessmen/ women and artisans in udi local government area of Enugu state. The researcher encounters some constrain which limited the scope of the study;
a) AVAILABILITY OF RESEARCH MATERIAL: The research material available to the researcher is insufficient, thereby limiting the study
b) TIME: The time frame allocated to the study does not enhance wider coverage as the researcher has to combine other academic activities and examinations with the study.
c) Organizational privacy: Limited Access to the selected auditing firm makes it difficult to get all the necessary and required information concerning the activities.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
This following term have been defined for the purpose of this study
i. local government: this refers to a government at the local level
Exercised through representative councils established by law to Exercised specific functions within a defined geographical area
ii. Development: this is a multidimensional process involving re-organization and re-orientation of the entire economic and social system in addition to improving income and qualityof life of the inhabitants of an areas it typically involve radicalchanges in institutional social as well as popular attitude and sometimes even customs and beliefs.
iii council: this refers to that organ which constitute representation of people either elected or nominated.
(iii) Socio – economic development: This embraces improvement in not only the standard of living and capital per income but also in high level of employment reducing inflation, advocate provision of food, high infrastructures, stressing value rather than achievement.
(v) Objectives: This refers to those things that the researcher intends to achieve at the end of the research.
(iv) Programmers: This consists of essential integrated series of developmental projects that spans over a length of time or period.
1.8 ORGANIZATION OF THE STUDY
This research work is organized in five chapters, for easy understanding, as follows
Chapter one is concern with the introduction, which consist of the (overview, of the study), historical background, statement of problem, objectives of the study, research hypotheses, significance of the study, scope and limitation of the study, definition of terms and historical background of the study. Chapter two highlights the theoretical framework on which the study is based, thus the review of related literature. Chapter three deals on the research design and methodology adopted in the study. Chapter four concentrate on the data collection and analysis and presentation of finding. Chapter five gives summary, conclusion, and recommendations made of the study
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR POLITICAL SCIENCE FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE ROLE OF TRADITIONAL RULERS IN PEACE BUILDING IN ZANGON-KATAF LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF KADUNA STATE NIGERIA» Abstract Across Africa and the developing world traditional rulers are held in high esteem as custodians of culture and traditions. The influence and ...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The Niger Delta region, also referred to as the South South geo political zone is made up of six ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The discourse of godfatherism had so much influenced the socio economic and political life of the nation especially in the fourth republic. I...Continue Reading »
4. AN ASSESSMENT OF THE IMPLEMENTATION OF POVERTY ERADICATION PROGRAMME UNDER THE MILLENNIUM DEVELOPMENT GOALS (MDGs) IN KANO STATE, NIGERIA (2000-2015)» ABSTRACT Several policies and programs have been designed and implemented to tackle the scourge of poverty and hunger in Nigeria over the years. This ...Continue Reading »
5. THE FACTORS AFFECTING ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT IN EDO STATE: A CASE STUDY OF OREDO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA» ABSTRACT The purpose of this work is to find out some factors that hinder economic development in the state. From this study a questionnaire was desig...Continue Reading »
6. ELECTORAL VIOLENCE AND DEMOCRATIC CONSOLIDATION IN NIGERIA, A CASE STUDY OF SOKOTO STATE, 2009 - 2011 ELECTION» ABSTRACT Nigeria has earned an appellation for herself as a show case of Africa’s democracy for several score of years. Ironically, every journe...Continue Reading »
7. THE RELEVANCE OF POPULATION CENSUS TO ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF RURAL AREAS IN NIGHERIA. (A CASE STUDY OF ORUMBA NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT IN ANAMBRA ...» abstract the project is on the relevance of population census to economic development of rural areas in nigeria (a case study of orumba north local go...Continue Reading »
8. THE ROLE OF NON-GOVERNMENTAL ORGANIZATIONS IN PEACE BUILDING IN MAIDUGURI (A CASE STUDY OF ACTION AID INTERNATIONAL NIGERIA)» CHAPTER ONE 1.1.INTRODUCTION Highest on the list of prime value for Maiduguri a town in Bornu state, Nigeria, is peace. Peace is the most valuable pub...Continue Reading »
9. CHANGE IN POLITICAL ADMINISTRATION AND ITS IMPACT ON THE ECONOMY: AN APPRAISAL OF THE MUHAMMADU BUHARI’S ADMINISTRATION» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY As our faces are different so is our vision and methodology; all the pres...Continue Reading »
10. THE EFFECTS OF FOREIGN AIDS ON NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT (A STUDY OF FOREIGN HEALTH AIDS TO NIGERIA 1999-2003)» abstract this study is concerned with the effects of foreign aids on national development. (a case study of foreign health aids to nigeria from (1999 ...Continue Reading »