Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 170 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦7,000
This study is an assessment of the Impact of Democratic Rule on Socio-Economic Development in Kogi East Senatorial District, from 1999 to 2012. This is predicated upon the assumption that democratic rule advance or foster socio-economic development and also, based on the belief that Nigeria, having returned to democratic rule in 1999, opened a new chapter to write a new history in developmental issues, it becomes empirical to assess the effects of democratic rule on socio-economic development using a case study. Invariably, Nigeria has faced developmental challenges for many years after her independence going through series of political instability and change of government over the years and the return to democratic rule in 1999 presented an epoch good enough for academic study. However, the case study, Kogi East Senatorial District becomes imperative for academic research because Kogi State being one of the poorest states of the nation has faced its own developmental challenges that makes it very important to understudy in order to identify the effects of democratic rule at the grassroots. However, the period under study is very significant because, immediately after the return to democratic rule in 1999, Kogi State witnessed a change in administration in 2003 and the subsequent administration was greeted with series of legal battles challenging the credibility of the election that brought it into power. Also, the period witnessed an intense political thuggery and thus, it is imperative to examine if socio-economic development could thrive under such heightened political situation. The study used three survey instruments (questionnaires, In-depth and Focus Group Discussion) to collect the primary data and the secondary data using documentary method. The data was quantitatively and qualitatively presented and analyzed through triangulation method. The Modernization Theory was adopted to analyze the phenomena of democratic rule, good governance and their effects on socio-economic development. The adoption of this theory is informed by the fact that the wave of democratic transition in Africa and many developing countries anchored the desire for development in line with the actualization of the dividends of democratic rule which is dependent on the manner of governance found at all levels in Nigeria. The study found out that, though not commensurate to the desires of the people, Kogi East Senatorial District has recorded some socio-economic development in areas such as growth in education, employment and social amenities, between 1999 to 2012. The study also found out that living standard of people has improved. Corruption, imposition of leaders, bad, visionless and unresponsive leadership/governance are chief among the challenges identified to be hindering the growth of democratic rule in the region. In view of this, the study recommends that leadership and governance be taken as key areas of priority to be tackled for the growth of democracy in order to advance socio-economic development. Corruption, which is at the core of the challenges hindering the growth of democratic governance in fostering socio-economic development must be sincerely and adequately tackled as urgent as possible.
1.1 Background to the Study
Democracy, democratic rule and development are being increasingly used in development
literature to mean series of complementary unification of concepts closely tied to good
governance. Democracy is one of the universal and indivisible core values and principles which
according to the United Nations World Summit Outcome Document (2001) is “based on the
freely expressed will of people and closely linked to the rule of law and exercise of human rights
and fundamental freedoms”. Democracy therefore, backed by good governance, feeds into
economic and social policies that are responsive to people‟s needs. Its basic features therefore
includes political tolerance, citizens participation, equality, respect for rule of law, social and
economic freedom, human rights, multi-party system, culture of accepting election results,
However, the me
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR POLITICAL SCIENCE FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE NIGERIAN FEDERALISM AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT AUTONOMY SPECIFICALLY OFU LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF KOGI STATE» Chapter One: Introduction 1.1 Background of the Study Federalism, according to K.C Wheare, is the method of dividing powers so that the central and re...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This research work was conducted to determine the influence of ethnicity on voting pattern in Nigeria with particular emphasis to the 2015 pr...Continue Reading »
3. THE INTERPLAY OF POLITICS AND RELIGION IN NIGERIA’S FOURTH REPUBLIC: A CASE STUDY OF ADAMAWA STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1Background of the study Religion has been an indispensible phenomenon in Nigeria. It had become an important factor in pol...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Consequent upon titanic competition that has beclouded business environment of all sorts, organizations have employed myriad of strategies. P...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Introduction The expediency for the creation of local government anywhere in the world stems from the need to facilitate ...Continue Reading »
» AbstractThis study examines the role of mass media in a democratic governance. Specifically mass Media are generally assumed to play an important role...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACTThe major purpose of this study was to examine the political corruption and its effect in the Nigerian government and politics. The study look...Continue Reading »
8. ASSESSMENT OF THE IMPLICATIONS OF TRANS-BORDER CRIMES ON SECURITY IN NIGERIA (CASE STUDY OF NIGERIA – NIGER BORDER)» ABSTRACT This study dwells on the Assessment of the Implications of Trans border Crimes on security in Nigeria (Cases study of Nigeria Niger border). ...Continue Reading »
9. THE ROLE OF NON-GOVERNMENTAL AGENCIES IN POVERTY ALLEVIATION AND THE DEVELOPMENT OF COMMUNITY (A CASE STUDY OF UFUMA PRIME MOVERS ASSOCIATION IN ORUMB...» abstract the study focuses on the role of non governmental agencies in poverty alleviation and the development of communities using ufuma prime movers...Continue Reading »
10. THE ROLE OF ELECTORAL COMMISION IN ENCHANCING DEVELOPMENT OF DEMOCRACY IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF IMO STATE INDEPENDENT ELECTORAL COMMISSION OWERRI)» ABSTRACT This project is aimed at knowing the role of Electoral commission in enchasing development of democracy in Nigeria (A case study Imo State In...Continue Reading »