Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This project work is on the bleaching of palm oil using activated charcoal.
The charcoal used for this work was made from pieces of animal bone by carbonization method. It was then activated into two different samples. Firstly, the basic sample was activated using anaphoric acid (H2 s04) while the other was activated by just heating as a control for the experiment; both at a constant temperature of 5000c and approximate time of 2hours.
They were both size reduced into fines and sieved into particle 3ye of 150um portion of the crude palm oil was degummed and neutralized for bleaching. Each interval of bleaching with both the acid activated and the ordinary activated charcoal was 8mins and temperature of 1500c over a hot plate, and subsequent filtration of the solution.
A spectrophotometer was used to measure the absorbance of the oils (crude and bleached) at selected wave length of 480Um. This was converted as the degree of colour reduction expressed in percentages.
Results obtained showed that optimum quantity of the charcoal for bleaching is 5% by weight, of the oil, which gives a percentage colour reduction as 97. 14% for the acid activated and 93.57% for the calcinated sample.
Also, the characterization of both the original oil and the bleaching oil showed that the later has appreciable properties. Hence colour reduction was observable by naked eyes.
Palm oil is one of the various types of vegetable oils, belonging to the group called liquids, because of its fatty acids content.
The majority of the fats contains some colouring matter either as a natural constituent or discoloration produced during the processing. Natural pigments present in vegetable oils are mainly the carotenoid, giving yellow and red colours, and the chlorophylls which give green colours. Colour deterioration can also take place during the extraction process, especially in the local method of extraction used in the most parts of the Eastern region in Nigeria.
Removal or reduction of colours and other components, otherwise called ‘Bleaching” is necessary not only because a pale-coloured fat has an appeal of ‘purity’ but also because the colours of the fat can influence the appearance of prepared food and even more importantly, the pigment present may affect the flavour and stability of the fats and food made from it.
The decolouration (bleaching) could be achieved by chemical treatment, heat treatment and adsorption methods. The most effective and widely used being the later. Thus, in this research project, bleaching by adsorption is carred out using an “Activated charcoal” (an adsorbent), a kind of active carbon, to substitute the use of local clays and the imported ‘Fuller’s Earth – in Palm Oil bleaching, which are rather expensive.
The charcoal can be produced from different sources as from, coal, wood, bone, coconut shell, etc. It would be verified the most suitable form and type of charcoal for effective bleaching and the most favourable condition at which the “activated charcoal could be used, which in them affects the bleach ability’ of the Palm oil itself.
The objective / aim of this research project is to verify the effectiveness of ‘Activated charcoal’ in the bleaching of palm oil. It will also expose the improvement in the use of local raw material (charcoal) in a chemical process (bleaching), in lien of the imported fuller’s Earth or other adsorbents which more expensive.
1.3 SCORE OF THE STUDY
Basically, this, study dwells on the colours reduction of Palm oil, using an Activated charcoal as an adsorbent (bleaching agent). The major raw materials, Palm oil and charcoal were locally sourced, and information as regards the process were obtained form the literary and other resourceful materials (texts) that treats ‘Adsorption’ as a chemical process.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR NURSING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of study Anemia is defined as the condition in which there is decreased level of hemoglobin (Hb) or red blood cell...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Hypertension is an important public health challenge at Auchi Nigeria. The purpose of this qualitative phenomenological survey was to determi...Continue Reading »
3. POSTPARTUM HEALTH-RELATED QUALITY OF LIFE OF MOTHERS AT 12 WEEKS AFTER VAGINAL AND CAESARIAN DELIVERY IN SELECTED HOSPITALS IN ENUGU, NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background to the Study Childbirth is an experience full of change, enrichment, and challenge for couples and the family unit...Continue Reading »
4. PREVALENCE OF HEPATITIS AMONG PREGNANT WOMEN. A CASE STUDY OF CHIROMA WARD IN LAFIA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF NASARAWA STATE.» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the Study A combination of two Greek words “hepatos” (liver) and “itis” (inflammation) ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The purpose of this study was to examine the effectiveness of exclusive breastfeeding in the development of children under five in Benue Stat...Continue Reading »
» Abstract Patients perception about service quality shapes their confidence with regard to use of the available health care facility. This study assess...Continue Reading »
7. THE ROLE OF CODE MIXING AND CODE SWITCHING IN DOCTOR-PATIENT COMMUNICATION AT FEDERAL MEDICAL CENTRE, CROSS RIVER STATE» ABSTRACT This research examined the concept of code switching and code mixing in Doctor Patient communication in Federal Medical Centre, Cross River. ...Continue Reading »
8. ASSESSING BARRIERS TO MAINTENANCE OF COLD CHAIN (BCG AND MEASLES VACCINES) AMONG PRIMARY HEALTH CARE WORKERS IN ENUGU METROPOLIS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background to the Study A vaccine is a biological preparation that provides active acquired immunity to a particular disease....Continue Reading »
9. EPIDEMIOLOGY OF DIABETES MELLITUS AMONG OLDER PEOPLE IN YITTI WARD, LAU LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF TARABA STATE» CHAPTER ONE Background of the Study Diabetes is a serious global public health issue which has been described as the most challenging health problem i...Continue Reading »
10. ASSESSING PSYCHO-SOCIAL CHALLENGES OF WOMEN WITH VESICO-VAGINA FISTULA AT NATIONAL OBSTETRIC FISTULA CENTRE, ABAKALIKI, EBONYI STATE» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background to the Study Frajznygier, Ruminjo & Barone (2012), described vesico vagina fistula (VVF) as an abnormal openin...Continue Reading »