Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Microbial examination of spoilt Avocado fruits was carried out to obtained the causal organism. A total of 60 avocado from Ogbete Main market and New market Enugu were examined by culturing on nutrient agar and sabourand dextrose agar (SM), for bacteria and fungi causing post – harvest spoilage on the fruits; six bacterial species and six fungal species were isolated. The bacteria include Erwinia SP (66.7%), Streptococcus sp, *25%), E. Coli (18.9%) and staphycoccus sp (33.3%), Pseudomonas sp (20%) and Chromobacterium sp (5%) has the lowest percentage occurrence, Erwinia sp, Pseudomonas sp and chromobacterium sp were found to be absent in the control. The fungi species, includes Aspergillus sp (50%), Pericillium sp (25%), Fusarium sp (16.6%), Rhisopus sp (13.3%), currularia sp (8.3%) and Rhoctorula sp (3.3%), were also kolated Avocado fruits from Ogbete main market were more contaminated than the avocado form the new market.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
The Avocado pear, Persea Americana is a tropical and sub tropical fruit tree, originated in central America or adjoining regions of North or South America. It has now spread to much of the near tropical world. The avocado is limited especially by its climatic requirements, with their race differences. It is also highly susceptible to drought injury. But excess soil moisture is equally fatal, encouraging the dread phytophthora root rot in most of the world, and where the fungus is unknown. Despite the high water activity of most fruits, the how PH leads to their spoilage being dominated by fungi, both yeast and moulds. Other common diseases of pears include the black spot or scab caused by as comycetes
Avocado fruits has being estimated that one fourth of all produced harvested is no consumed before spoilage (Salulche, 1974), spoilage of fresh fruits usually occurs during storage and transport and while wacting to be processed unlike many other foods fruits after picking and before processing are ‘a live’ of the products plus the normal ripering process complicate an independent discussion of the microbiological spoilage problems are really market diseases of these products:
Shape, varies from slightly obligate to highly elongate, an intermediate oval or pear shape is preferred. Yellow to purple or black.
The composition of the fruit influences the likely type of spoilage. thus bacteria soft rot is widespread for the most part among the fruits is limited to those that are not highly acid. Because most fruits are somewhat acid are fairly dry at the surface, and are deficient in B vitamins, mold are the most common causes of spoilage. The compositions too, must determine the particular kind of molds most likely to grow, thus avocado support a large, variety of fungal spoilage organisms and other kinds comparatively few.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
Micro-organisms are known to destroy fruits, thereby reducing the quantity for consumption and the profits desirable from fruits such as avocado. Many spot are noticed on pears which do change the taste when consumed.
Bacteria and fungi are harmful and useful living organisms. The spoilage of most fruits is always associated with bactera and fungi, many diseses of plants are associated with bacteria and fungi (Micro-organisms)
The adverse effect of bacteria in plants and fruits has resulted in shortage of avocado fruits for consumption. Revenue is lost by farmers and industries that uses avocado fruits as a raw materials for fruit juice due to the spoilage caused by micro-organisms.
1.3 AIM AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
Microbial examination of spoilt avocado fruits
To isolate and identify how micro-organism destroy avocado so as to guide producer and farmers on how to manage the fruits
To isolate and identify it those micro-organisms are responsible for the spoilage
To compare the extent of spoilage in the area of colelction (tree) with that of market
HO: Microbial organisms do not cause spoilage of avocado at either in the field or during exposure for sale.
Hg = Microorganisms (Fungi and Bacteria) are responsible for avocado spoilage.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This study will be useful to farmers, fruit juice industries and consumers of avocado fruits. T he outcome of this research will guide users of avocado fruit on the best method of preserving to avoid spoilage, the research work also will add to the literature and information existing about avocado for student and companies that uses avocado as raw materials for the production of fruit juice
1.6 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
There are many or different type of microorganism that causes spoilage in avocado fruit or fruits in general, focus is made only on fungi and bacterial because they are the major organisms associated with spoilage in avocado fruits.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR MICROBIOLOGY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background. Urinary tract infection (UTI) is defined as the bacterial invasion of the urinary tract. It is primarily caus...Continue Reading »
2. OPTIMIZING ALPHA AMYLASE PRODUCTION FROM LOCALLY ISOLATED Aspergillus species USING SELECTED AGRO WASTES AS SUBSTRATES» ABSTRACT α Amylase are enzymes that are used in the degradation of starch. This study focuses on optimizing the production of α Amylase us...Continue Reading »
3. COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF MICROBIAL LOAD OF THE ENUGU MAIN WATER PRODUCTION AND WATER AVAILABLE TO IMT CAMPUS II HOSTEL» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Water is a liquid mineral. It consist of two atoms of hydrogen combined with one atom of oxygen. Water is a tasteless, odourl...Continue Reading »
4. ANTIBACTERIAL ACTIVITY OF HONEY ON Staphylococcus aureusEscherichia coli and Streptococcus pyogen ISOLATED FROM WOUND» ABSTRACT Antibacterial activity of honey obtained from two different locations in Enugu State (Nsukka & Ugwuaji) Nigeria on Staphylococcus aureus,...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Some locally available fruits (garden egg, orange, banana, guava, avocado, pawpaw and pineapple).sold in Oye Emene Enugu, Enugu State was exa...Continue Reading »
6. PREVALENCE AND ANTIMICROBIAL SUSCEPTIBILITY OF GRAM NEGATIVE BACTERIA IN THE URINE OF CARITAS UNIVERSITY STUDENTS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Gram negative bacteria are bacteria that do not retain their crystal violet dye in the gram staining protocol. They are diffe...Continue Reading »
7. COMPARATIVE EVALUATION OF ANTIBODY PRODUCTION IN BROILERS VACCINATED WITH NEWCASTLE DISEASE VACCINES IN KANO METROPOLIS, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT The incidence of Newcastle disease (ND) in Nigeria is high and is a persistent cause of mortality and (or) morbidity among vaccinated chicken...Continue Reading »
8. ISOLATION AND IDENTIFICATION OF BACTERIA FROM FOOD VENDORS AND SOME VEGETABLE AVAILABLE AT OGBETE MARKET ENUGU.» ABSTRACT Safety of food is a basic requirement of food quality. A total of 25 street food samples (Jollof rice, egwusi soup, ugu, water leaf and green...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Water is one of the indispensable resources for the continued existence of all living things including man. The provision of an adequate supp...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study on the microbial assessment of expired canned milk products was conducted in Imo State between the months of June to October, 2012...Continue Reading »