Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Microbial examination of spoilt Avocado fruits was carried out to obtained the causal organism. A total of 60 avocado from Ogbete Main market and New market Enugu were examined by culturing on nutrient agar and sabourand dextrose agar (SM), for bacteria and fungi causing post – harvest spoilage on the fruits; six bacterial species and six fungal species were isolated. The bacteria include Erwinia SP (66.7%), Streptococcus sp, *25%), E. Coli (18.9%) and staphycoccus sp (33.3%), Pseudomonas sp (20%) and Chromobacterium sp (5%) has the lowest percentage occurrence, Erwinia sp, Pseudomonas sp and chromobacterium sp were found to be absent in the control. The fungi species, includes Aspergillus sp (50%), Pericillium sp (25%), Fusarium sp (16.6%), Rhisopus sp (13.3%), currularia sp (8.3%) and Rhoctorula sp (3.3%), were also kolated Avocado fruits from Ogbete main market were more contaminated than the avocado form the new market.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
The Avocado pear, Persea Americana is a tropical and sub tropical fruit tree, originated in central America or adjoining regions of North or South America. It has now spread to much of the near tropical world. The avocado is limited especially by its climatic requirements, with their race differences. It is also highly susceptible to drought injury. But excess soil moisture is equally fatal, encouraging the dread phytophthora root rot in most of the world, and where the fungus is unknown. Despite the high water activity of most fruits, the how PH leads to their spoilage being dominated by fungi, both yeast and moulds. Other common diseases of pears include the black spot or scab caused by as comycetes
Avocado fruits has being estimated that one fourth of all produced harvested is no consumed before spoilage (Salulche, 1974), spoilage of fresh fruits usually occurs during storage and transport and while wacting to be processed unlike many other foods fruits after picking and before processing are ‘a live’ of the products plus the normal ripering process complicate an independent discussion of the microbiological spoilage problems are really market diseases of these products:
Shape, varies from slightly obligate to highly elongate, an intermediate oval or pear shape is preferred. Yellow to purple or black.
The composition of the fruit influences the likely type of spoilage. thus bacteria soft rot is widespread for the most part among the fruits is limited to those that are not highly acid. Because most fruits are somewhat acid are fairly dry at the surface, and are deficient in B vitamins, mold are the most common causes of spoilage. The compositions too, must determine the particular kind of molds most likely to grow, thus avocado support a large, variety of fungal spoilage organisms and other kinds comparatively few.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
Micro-organisms are known to destroy fruits, thereby reducing the quantity for consumption and the profits desirable from fruits such as avocado. Many spot are noticed on pears which do change the taste when consumed.
Bacteria and fungi are harmful and useful living organisms. The spoilage of most fruits is always associated with bactera and fungi, many diseses of plants are associated with bacteria and fungi (Micro-organisms)
The adverse effect of bacteria in plants and fruits has resulted in shortage of avocado fruits for consumption. Revenue is lost by farmers and industries that uses avocado fruits as a raw materials for fruit juice due to the spoilage caused by micro-organisms.
1.3 AIM AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
Microbial examination of spoilt avocado fruits
To isolate and identify how micro-organism destroy avocado so as to guide producer and farmers on how to manage the fruits
To isolate and identify it those micro-organisms are responsible for the spoilage
To compare the extent of spoilage in the area of colelction (tree) with that of market
HO: Microbial organisms do not cause spoilage of avocado at either in the field or during exposure for sale.
Hg = Microorganisms (Fungi and Bacteria) are responsible for avocado spoilage.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This study will be useful to farmers, fruit juice industries and consumers of avocado fruits. T he outcome of this research will guide users of avocado fruit on the best method of preserving to avoid spoilage, the research work also will add to the literature and information existing about avocado for student and companies that uses avocado as raw materials for the production of fruit juice
1.6 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
There are many or different type of microorganism that causes spoilage in avocado fruit or fruits in general, focus is made only on fungi and bacterial because they are the major organisms associated with spoilage in avocado fruits.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR MICROBIOLOGY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» Abstract This study was carried out on the microbiological analysis of dry cassava peel used in the preparation of pigs feed. Since the nutritional co...Continue Reading »
2. ANTITRYPANOSOMAL ACTIVITIES OF ACACIA NILOTICA AND KHAYA SENEGALENSIS AND THE HAEMATOLOGICAL PROFILE OF TRYPANOSOMA BRUCEI BRUCEI INFECTED WISTAR RATS» ABSTRACT This study was aimed at investigating antitrypanosomal activities and haematological profile of crude extract and fractions of the stem bark ...Continue Reading »
3. THE IDENTIFICATION OF PREVALENCE MICROBES ASSOCIATED WITH FROZEN FISH MARKETED IN OWERRI METROPOLIS» ABSTRACT Aquaculture products can harbour pathogenic bacteria, which are of the natural micro flora of the environment. An in vitro assay was carried ...Continue Reading »
4. DETOXIFICATION AND ANTI-NUTRIENT REDUCTION OF JATROPHA CURCAS SEED CAKE BY FERMENTATION USING BACILLUS SPECIES» ABSTRACT Jatropha curcas seed cake is a by product generated from the oil extraction of J. curcas seed a biodiesel producing plant‘s seed. Altho...Continue Reading »
5. DETECTION OF HEPATITIS C AND HEPATITIS B VIRUS INFECTION AMONG PRISON INMATES AND PYCHIATRIC PATIENTS IN KADUNA METROPOLIS, NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION Hepatitis C virus (HCV) is a small enveloped virus measuring 55 65nm in size. It is a positive sense single stranded RNA ...Continue Reading »
6. PHYSIOCHEMICAL AND SENSORY EVALUATION OF COOKIES PRODUCED FROM BLENDS OF MALTED SORGHUM, SPROUTED BLACK BEANS AND COOKED COCOYAM FLOUR, PROXIMATE ANAL...» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY Over the years the production of cookies of various types has improved with the advancement of new technology in m...Continue Reading »
» mi ABSTRACT Normal vaginal flora contains a wide range of microorganisms. Bacterial vaginosis BV is the main reason of vaginal discharge. Many gram po...Continue Reading »
8. OPTIMIZING ALPHA AMYLASE PRODUCTION FROM LOCALLY ISOLATED Aspergillus species USING SELECTED AGRO WASTES AS SUBSTRATES» ABSTRACT α Amylase are enzymes that are used in the degradation of starch. This study focuses on optimizing the production of α Amylase us...Continue Reading »
9. PRODUCTION OF WINE AND BIO-ETHANOL FROM RICE BY THE CO-CULTURES OF LACTIC ACID BACTERIA ANDYEASTS UNDER SUBMERGED FERMENTATION» CHAPTER ONE 1.0INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study RiceistheseedofthemonocotplantOryzasativaofthegrassfamilyGramineae. (Kadiri et al., 2014). Ric...Continue Reading »
» ...Continue Reading »