Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 70 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 Background of the Study
Water is essential for life. Man needs water for various other purposes apart from drinking and body functions.
The other purposes includes it’s use in transportation, waste disposal and hydro electric system. About 80% of the earth’s surface is covered by water. This may be grouped into natural and artificial water. Natural water includes atmospheric water (rainfall, hail and snow), surface water includes (stream, lakes, rivers, ocean) and ground water (spring well, under ground stream). Artificial water on the other hand includes ponds. Surface water can be contaminated by some impurities like dust, smoke or gases etc from the atmosphere.
Anthropogenic activities ad dumping of waste on the river bank also results to the contamination of surface water quality, water may of these micro-organisms when present in large quantities and for prolonged period of time can cause health problem (Onyeagba and Isu, 2003, Shelton, 2003: WHO, 2004). There is a strong relationship existing between water, health and diseases causation (Ajewole, 2005). Water is a very essential element of human nature, yet a very dangerous element in the spread of diseases.
A recent study of water related and water borne diseases are in one way or the other caused by surface water (Medema et al 2003). Water that is free of disease producing micro-organism and chemical substance that is dangerous to health is referred to as potable water. The two categories of the sources of surface water pollution based on their origin are point and non-point sources. The contaminants that enter a water way through discrete conveyance, such as pipe or ditch are called point source pollution. The non point pollution is the diffused contamination that does not originate from a single discrete source. The cumulative effect of small amount of contaminants gathered from a large area is as a result of non point source pollution (USGS, 1998: EPA 2005)
The contamination of water has been associated with sewage and sewage effluent. It has been generally accepted that surface water contains more harmful micro-organisms compared to other source, of water including ground water and rainfall water (Oyebode: 2005). Consequently, high degree of sewage dumps, practices with domestic waste water may be sources of bacteria and other organisms capable of producing diseases in man and animals including livestock. Other source includes livestock manure and waste water from municipals, schools, feedlots and swamps.
Consequently, the number of cases of water borne diseases has been seen to be the cause of many health hazards. The demand and pollution of level of water requires the basic monitoring on the quality (WHO, 2004: EPA 2002) Hence there is need to ascertain the physical, chemical and biological quality of this river to ascertain whether it is safe for human consumption.
1.2 Objectives of the Study
The aim of this project is to determine the effect of anthropogenic activities and domestic waste on River Niger in katcha L.G.A water quality.
Specifically the objectives of this project are:-
i. To collect water samples from different parts of River Niger in katcha L.G.A and take to the lab for analysis.
ii. To analysis the lab results with a view to ascertaining the physical, chemical and biological properties of the water.
iii. To recommend amendments for the water considering the various potential uses of River Niger in katcha L.G.A in Niger North of Niger State.
iv. To subjectively evaluate the extent of domestic waste deposits in the river.
1.3 Justification of the study
Not minding the anthropogenic activities and domestic waste dumping at River Niger in katcha L.G.A, it is still a good source of water for agricultural and domestic activities
River Niger in katcha L.G.A is a neat source of water but water may not be adjudged potable by appearance or taste and that is why the analysis of this water is essential.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR MICROBIOLOGY FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Antiseptics and disinfectants are used extensively in hospitals and other health care settings fo...Continue Reading »
» TABLE OF CONTENTS Pages Title Page i Certification ii Dedication iii Acknowledgements iv Table of Contents v List of Tables x List of Figures xi Abstr...Continue Reading »
3. ANTIBACTERIAL ACTIVITY OF HONEY ON Staphylococcus aureusEscherichia coli and Streptococcus pyogen ISOLATED FROM WOUND» ABSTRACT Antibacterial activity of honey obtained from two different locations in Enugu State (Nsukka & Ugwuaji) Nigeria on Staphylococcus aureus,...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background to the Study Eggplant (Solanum melongena L.; Division Anthophyta; Class Dicotyledoneae; Order Solanales) is an agr...Continue Reading »
» ...Continue Reading »
6. BIOREMEDIATION OF EFFLUENT FROM KADUNA REFINERYAND PETROCHEMICAL COMPANY USING CLADOSPORIUM SPECIES» ABSTRACT This study investigated the potential bioremediation ability of Cladosporium species in hydrocarbon contaminated wastewater. Hydrocarbon cont...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE1.0 INTRODUCTIONNewcastle disease (ND) is one of the most important avian viral diseases because of its high economic impact on the poultry...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION 1.1 Phytoremediation Phytoremediation is defined as the combined use of plants, soil amendments and agronomic practices t...Continue Reading »
9. DETOXIFICATION AND ANTI-NUTRIENT REDUCTION OF JATROPHA CURCAS SEED CAKE BY FERMENTATION USING BACILLUS SPECIES» ABSTRACT Jatropha curcas seed cake is a by product generated from the oil extraction of J. curcas seed a biodiesel producing plant‘s seed. Altho...Continue Reading »
10. A SURVEY OF MALARIA VECTORS AND PARASITES IN AGUOWA COMMUNITY, ENUGU - EAST LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, ENUGU STATE, SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA» ABSTRACT The study set out to determine the presence of mosquito vectors of malaria, prevalent Plasmodium species as well as some blood parameters rel...Continue Reading »