Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 65 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
It would be appropriate for us to start by stating that the
DSTV television is a unique medium of communication. Its uniqueness stems from its audio-visual qualities. With these qualities, the DSTV is able to capture and hold the audience attention better and longer than any other medium of communication.
One of the persistent issues usually discussed about television is its effects on its audience. Given the amount of time youth spend in watching DSTV television, the effect of DSTV seems to be much more on the youth than on the older people. This is thus seen from the behavior of youths who have their role models as foreign actors and celebrities, and in the way they attach importance to foreign style of dressing.
As a result of such interest, and impact, many researchers have investigated the question of DSTV effects. However, it is common for all to find a situation where the large and more
significant questions of television effects are more subject to cultural imperialism, where norms and values of the people especially African, are swallowed by the programmes of the foreign countries.
American made programmes particularly as seen practically in every country where DSTV exists exert information power on various countries, especially Nigeria. In Osun State, the major general DSTV stations are; AIT and NTA. However, with the invention of; cable satellite sand dishes, more stations are discovered most of which are foreign stations like “Channel O”, Trace TV, Super sports, CNN, MTV Base, Cartoon Networks, MB2 etc.
Youths subscribe to these stations often owing to their peculiarities in quality of view and programmes which often do not support the style of living in this part of the globe. Hence, they are influenced by the contents of those stations.
The few local stations like NTA, ESBS, AIT, have subscribed for foreign programmes like hills and valleys in AIT, second chance,
Domino etc all in AIT.
In the words of Dommick (2009; p67), in the 99 percent of households, and they set in about 8hours every day. In an astounding short period, DSTV became a major social force. DSTV majorly has not been with us long enough for us to see all of it ultimate consequences. However are obvious. DSTV has become a major consumer of time. Sleeping and working account for the most time in persons day, DSTV has exerted standardizing influence on society as well. Clothing, hairstyles, language and attitudes seen on DSTV pervade the nation and for that matter the rest of the world.
Thus, foreign programme DSTV in our local media have been blamed for reshaping the youth attitude, believe to the determinant of our values and norms.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE RESEARCH PROBLEMS
An average Nigerian youth is observed to be eager to associate
with the developed Europe and North America. He see the Western countries as a model. He thinks about Western life while earnestly hoping to leave his country for the west.
Many Nigerian youth tend to initiate Western culture, especially America cultures. They see everything done by the white as appropriate to the expense of local value, cultures and norms.
This is mostly seen in the living pattern of youths between the ages of 12 to 30 who from the major population of Nigeria higher institutions. This neglect on local values has led to increase in violence, drug abuse, juvenile delinquency, excessive desire for foreign products, sexual perversion, unpatriotic, etc., which are main highlights of foreign programmes. All these have tremendous effect on our values and culture.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
1. To isolate Western DSTV programmes and examine its pervasive impact on the cultural values of Nigerian youths.
2. To examine how the content of Western DSTV programmes affect Nigerian youths.
3. To ascertain the implication of Western DSTV culture on
4. To revitalize the values of Nigerian programmes to the expense of the Western programmes.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR MASS COMMUNICATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» Abstract The core objective of this research was to examine the influence of online news on the traditional newspaper patronage among University of Ib...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 641 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
2. ROLE OF GUARDIAN NEWSPAPER AND NEWSWATCH MAGAZINE IN CRIME CONTROL IN NIGERIA (JANUARY –JUNE 2015)» Abstract This study examined the role of Guardian newspaper and newswatch magazine in Nigeria. Using content analysis, 72 editions of news paper and 2...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 187 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
» ABSTRACT Stage play production management is an area in theatre that most people shy away from due to a perceived lack of funds.[EA1] In view of this,...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 0 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
4. NEWS GATHERING AND REPORTING IN DIGITAL AGE: PROSPECTS AND CHALLENGES FOR NTA, KSTV AND DITV REPORTERS» ABSTRACT The study, x rayed the digital facilities available to NTA, KSTV and DITV News crew. The digital age along with changing technology, from the...Continue Reading »
108 pages | 147 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Early childhood was also a time children become aware of television and movie characters. Through...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 1,067 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
6. ANALYSIS OF AGRICULTURAL COMMUNICATION FOR IMPROVING PRODUCTIVITY AMONG RURAL FARMERS IN ODEDA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF OGUN STATE, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT This study analyzed Agricultural Communication for Improving Productivity among Rural Farmers in Odeda Local Government Area of Ogun State, N...Continue Reading »
84 pages | 139 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
» ABSTRACT The English article system is a complex system that is nevertheless indispensable for users of English. The articles perform several importan...Continue Reading »
73 pages | 185 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
8. AN EVALUATION OF THE EFFICIENCY OF ORGANIZATIONA COMMUNICATION STRATEGIES ON POWER HOLDING COMPANY OF NIGERIA, ENUGU ZONAL OFFICE.» Abstract This work evaluated the efficiency of organizational communication strategies on Power Holding Company of Nigeria, Enugu zonal office. It was...Continue Reading »
78 pages | 493 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
9. INFLUENCE OF OWNERSHIP IN RADIO NEWS COVERAGE (A STUDY OF FEDERAL RADIO CORPORATION OF NIGERIA, ENUGU)» TABLE OF CONTENTSDeclaration iiCertificate iiiDedication ivAcknowledgment vTable of contents viList of tables ixAbstract xCHAPTER ONEINTRODUCTION1.1 b...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 443 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION
» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title page ................................................................... i Approval page ........................................Continue Reading »
50 pages | 0 hits | Source: MASS COMMUNICATION