Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
THE IMPORTANCE OF PIDGIN ENGLISH IN BROADCAST / PRINT
Pidgin English came into existence as a result of the coming of the colonial masters to Africa, the highly respected philosophers – said and I quote, “No language is an Island meaning that language only came into existence through a pre – existed one. Pidgin English came into existence through English Language.
The coming of the white men to Africa really changed a lot of cultures, languages, norm, ethnics and non – ethics values etc in African. The language pidgin English started during the colonial era, then, it was very essential for them to understand the white man’s language in order to be able to fit into the happening in the society.
Those days, if a black man manages to understand the white man’s language, he is given a big post ahead his fellow black men for instance is the film titled “The battle of Musanga”, were the major character was “Mr. Johnson because he understands the white man’s language, he was kept ahead of his people as a mediator, intercessor and interpreter between the two recess, and with that, his financial income was somehow above that of his people only his extravagant way of spending made him broke always.
Pidgin English took a solid stand when slaves were freed in Sierraloen (Freetown), when they found themselves in Freetown and having no other language to speak than the English they know, and also considering the fact that most of them has lost their mother tongue as a result of slavery it was then, they started broking the white man’s language (English) into smaller segments in order to understand the message of one another, otherwise known as pidgin / broken English.
Examples of pidgin English is as follows:
Make I come
I am coming
Make I come?
Should I come?
I won go
I want to go
You wan fight
Do you want t fight?
Make I see person
I want to visit some one
I won shop
I want to eat
Hungry decatch me
I am hungry
Comot for road
Go away from the way,
She sabi book?
Is she brilliant?
You fit run?
Can you run?
E’m feet run o--
He might run
I won rest
I want to rest
Your head no correct
You are crazy?
Go carry my good come
Go and bring my food
You be devil
You are a devil
Forget my side
Forget about me.
Sometimes pidgin English can be mixed together with one native language examples are:
You de kolo?
Are you mad?
You de yan dust
You’ve said rubbish
You are saying rubbish
You be hua
You are a fool
You be sabi sabi
Mr. know all
You be gbeboru
You don yan okpata
You’ve said non sense
All these idioms were used by our fathers then to make sure there was proper information dissemination. Come to look at it, we shall need this pidgin English language to communicate effectively with a massive number of Nigerians who shall up till this time, do not understand good English because communication without response or feedback in the communication line or fraction simply means that communication has not taken place.
So since communication stands as the life wire of every society, at all spares of the society educational, cultural, industrial, even at the rural levels, the farmers, headsmen traders and labourers require constant dosage of information to function optimally. The nature of this project narrows our means of communication to the broadcasting and print medium of communication.
Communication occupies a key position in human existence. It is the most vital factor in building or developing an organized, united and progressive nation. Without it, there will be no national development. It is an established fact that every human activity involves information and communication.
Truly speaking, for an average Nigerian to survive and function well in our modern and developing society, we need information. He needs to communicate with other in the society just as his physical requirement of food and shelter. He needs to know what other have in mind and what their feelings as on any particular issue. He needs instant information about himself, about his government and about the economic state of the nation. In a nut shall, pidgin English is what ever medium used for dissemination of information, be it in the electronic or print media will always have a positive effect on massive number of the audience or Nigerian community especially in the rural areas.
It is highly assumed that the Enugu urban is interest in verbal and print information / communication made in pidgin English.
It is also assumed that the degree of education in Enugu is still pretty low, hence Enugu urban ties usually understands the surface structure of an utterances and paid to come to grips with the underlying meaning of communicated messages in pure English.
1.3 STATEMENT OF RESEARCH PROBLEMS
There has been a lot of misinterpretation / misconception of communicated message by a good number of people in Enugu due to language used in disseminating this massages.
They usually do not understand broadcasting and print information made in pure English language and as such, try to ignore broadcast and printed information made in pidgin English language and develop a negative opinion or attitude towards the program or programmed massages on pure English language, they find it difficult to give a satisfactory and accurate meaning of the communicated messages on pure English language.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR MASS COMMUNICATION FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT In this study, an attempt was made to evaluate the problems and prospects of mass media advertising in Nigeria. We talk of the media mix and ...Continue Reading »
2. THE INFLUENCE OF WESTERN TELEVISION PROGRAMMES ON THE CULTURAL VALUES OF NIGERIA YOUTHS (A CASE STUDY OOF CARITAS STUDENTS, ENUGU).» ABSTRACT This study probes the impact which Tv has on the cultural values of the Nigeria youths. It specifically tackles the impact of western Tv prog...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The deregulation of the broadcast media in 1992 democratised the media space and led to the establishment of the National Broadcasting Commis...Continue Reading »
4. EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION AS A TOOL FOR ACHIEVING ORGANIZATIONAL GOAL AND OBJECTIVES IN NTA (CASE STUDY OF NIGERIA TELEVISION AUTHORITY KADUNA)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Basically, communication touch every sphere of human activity, it informs or better still dissemi...Continue Reading »
5. THE USE OF PRINT MEDIA AS TOOL FOR PUBLICRELATION PRACTICE (A CASE STUDY OF INTERNATIONAL BREWERIES PLC, ILESA)» ABSTRACT The concern of this project is the use of print media as tools for Public Relations practice. There are something’s we critically exami...Continue Reading »
6. NIGERIA FILM AS AN INSTRUMENT FOR NATIONAL UNITY (A CASE STUDY OF HALF OF A YELLOW SUN BY BANDELE)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Over the years, Nigerian films or movies have become extremely popular among Nigerians at home an...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The past fifteen years or more, the world has played host to a lot of technological innovations o...Continue Reading »
8. Organizational In-House Policy and Journalists’ Professional Duties. A Study of Radio Nigeria Network Centre, Jos, Plateau State.» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Every media organization, irrespective of the type and pattern of ownership has an editorial poli...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This dissertation, study‟s the transformation taking place in the field of sports journalism due to convergence made possible by the emerge...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT Social media has been a major force in technology. Its impacts and use has exceeded the conventional purpose to the unimaginable future. Soci...Continue Reading »