Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Background of the study
Library resources are very important in the libraries and also in the college libraries. It plays a very vital role by provision information resources to this seeking information. Resources are processed, acquired to make for easily location, retrieval and use.
Pursuant to Nnadimele, 2005) a library is a collection of records of human culture in print and non-print book materials organized housed and interpreted by an information scientist or librarian to meet the broad varying needs of people for information.
Pursuant to (Omuiko,2004) college libraries are those libraries found in polytechnic college of technology, college of education and college of agriculture. The nature of information materials stored in line with the nature of seeking. As it is in every library, this college library has many unit with heads which manages those resources.
The resources are acquired to satisfy the information needs of the library clientele and to realize the parent institution goals. These resources are of two types: prints and non-print materials.
Pursuant to (Obiora, 2004), the print materials are the reference books text book, mimeographs, monographs, these maps, conference, proceeding, journals and newspapers. Non-print materials include slides, files microfiche, and utrafiche etc. These resources are managed in the library thus management according to (Umunna, 2009), defined it as a team work, he further says that management interprets the policy made by the administration. Another scholar, (Onwubiko, 2004) sees management as the process of planning, organizing, co-ordinating and controlling the effect of organization and of using all other organization goals. Therefore, library resources has strategies for its effective management which are planning, organizing, directing, staffing controlling and co0ordinating not only that it involves taking care and preserving them against damages of any kind, checking the human (i.e.) the library users to that will not miss-manage vandalized these resources while using them.
Another fantastic way is by financing these resources and also providing visible services like photocopying, binding, reference services etc. there are strategies for managing library resources these strategies are cataloguing and classification abstracting and indexing shelving and shelf-reading information repackaging and others.
For a while now, there was problem of managing library resources in college libraries this is because of inadequate qualified professional’s non-provision of working tools. The reason for this study is to carryout survey on the strategies for effective managing library resources at Alvan federal college of education library Owerri, remedy would proffer to identify problems.
STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS
Library staffs in A.I.F.C.F. faces problem in their bid to manage their library resources such as wrong cataloguing and classification, poor shelving and shelf-reading, lack of working tools, lack of qualified professionals and others which constitute problems to the management of A.I.F.C.E. library resources.
This work means to check difficulties faces the management of A.I.F.C.E. Resources and proffered solution to the identified problems
1.3 OBEJCTIVES OF THE STUDY
1) To identify the strategies adopted by A.I.F.C.E. Library to manage its resources.
2) To identify whether A.I.F.C.E. Library has qualified professional for managing its resources.
3) To ascertain whether working tools are provided for the management of resources at A.I.F.C.E. library.
4) To determine whether A.I.F.C.E. staffs do proper shelving and shelf-reading.
5) To find out whether A.I.F.C.E. library is adequately staff to mange its resources.
6) To proffer solutions to identified problems.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTION
1) What are the strategies adopted by A.I.F.C.E. library in managing its resources?
2) What are the working tools provided for managing resources at A.I.F.C.E. library?
3) What are the problems in A.I.F.C.E. library resources?
4) Does A.I.F.C.E. library computerized for resource management?
5) Does qualified professional manage A.I.F.C.E. library resources?
6) What is the solution to these problems?
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESES
The following hypotheses is formulated to guide the completion of the study;
H0: A.I.F.C.E. library is not adequately staff to manage its resources
H1: A.I.F.C.E. library is adequately staff to manage its resources
H0: qualified professional does not manage A.I.F.C.E. library resources
H2: qualified professional does manage A.I.F.C.E. library resources
1.5 SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The scope of this study is on the strategies for effective management of college library resources with particular reference to the library A.I.F.C.E. Owerri.
a)AVAILABILITY OF RESEARCH MATERIAL: The research material available to the researcher is insufficient, thereby limiting the study
b) TIME: The time frame allocated to the study does not enhance wider coverage as the researcher has to combine other academic activities and examinations with the study.
c) FINANCE: The finance available for the research work does not allow for wider coverage as resources are very limited as the researcher has other academic bills to cover
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The study will go a long way in advancing knowledge in the field of management of library resources. Besides, this work will be useful to those who may engage in carry out research on this area study related area not only that the finding of this study and the recommendation will broad our knowledge and enable libraries especially college libraries to know the strategies that will enhance effective management of library resources.
1.7 HISTORY OF ALVAN IKOKU FEDERAL COLLEGE OF EDUCATION
Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education Owerri which is the institution under study was before known as Avan Ikoku College of Education Owerri and then it was established in 1963 as an advance teachers training college. To promote research and advancement of science and learning, and to improve the intellectual performance of the study in the institution etc.
The highest administration of the college is a body which is composed of the following; the chairman appointed by the administration, the two representatives of universities and institution of higher chief adviser on education, tree other persons appointed by the administration.
The college is in affiliation with the UNN to award the Bachelor of education degree.
Alvan Ikoku was charged to Alvan Ikoku federal college of education on 1st January 2007 and was commissioned by minister for education now removed, by name Mrs. Comfort Nwachukwu and currently professor Ngozi Uwazuruki is the provost.
It’s Library Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education library is located at the West area of the administrative block. It occupies and a floor area and house over 25,280 volumes and seating capacity of 280 readers. It is organized into the following section with different people heading them. Reference section M.E. Onwuana, Binding section, Mr. Alfred Nwanyi, - Cata-class section H.C. Okorie, Acquisition section –Mr. M.U. Anuebo,s erial section Mrs. Oziriocha Clara, Circulations section Mr. A.N. Njiribeako and a genral head who is an acting head Mrs. Uchenna Nwaiwu.
The library has resources which can be followed by registered readers for a period of 14 days. There are also special studies collections. These include the local studies on: health, physical education and home resources.
The library is open to all students of the institution even students from other institution, lecturers and non-academic staff of the college. It opens by 8 am daily and closes by 4-6Pm. It does not open on weekends and public holidays.
1.8 DEFINITION OF OPERATIONAL BASIC CONCEPT
Strategies: Lay down paths, process and procedures through which the library as an organization achieves its set objectives out of its mission and purpose of creation (Onwubiko, 2004).
Effective: Producing the result that is wanted or intended (Onwubiko 2004).
Management: The process of planning. Organizing, co-ordinating, leading and controlling the efforts or organizational members and of using all other organizational resources to achieve stated organizational goals. (Onwubiko, 2004).
Library: Store house of documented knowledge which have been professed and orderly arranged to make for easy location, retrieval and use (Obiora, 2004).
College library: Library found in Polytechnics College of technology, college of education and college of agriculture (Onwubiko, 2004).
Library Resources: The totality of information materials that firm a library collection. They are classified into two: print and non-print materials. Print materials are in form of books also called monograph and serials. The non-book materials also called multi-media resources
ORGANIZATION OF THE STUDY
This research work is organized in five chapters, for easy understanding, as follows Chapter one is concern with the introduction, which consist of the (overview, of the study), statement of problem, objectives of the study, research question, significance or the study, research methodology, definition of terms and historical background of the study. Chapter two highlight the theoretical framework on which the study its based, thus the review of related literature. Chapter three deals on the research design and methodology adopted in the study. Chapter four concentrate on the data collection and analysis and presentation of finding. Chapter five gives summary, conclusion, and recommendations made of the study.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR LIBRARY INFORMATION SCIENCE FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. INFLUENCE OF ICT LITERACY SKILLS ON ITS APPLICATION FOR LIBRARY USE AMONG ACADEMIC LIBRARIANS IN SOUTH EAST NIGERIA» ABSTRACT The study investigated the influence of ICT literacy on its application for library services by academic librarians. The study was guided by ...Continue Reading »
2. READING CULTURE AND USER SATISFACTION AS DETERMINANTS OF LIBRARY PATRONAGE BY UNDERGRADUATES IN PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES IN OYO STATE, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT Library patronage is an essential factor for justifying the value and existence of libraries to the university community. However, observatio...Continue Reading »
3. ASSESSMENT OF REFERENCE AND INFORMATION SERVICES TO UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS IN FEDERAL UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES IN ENUGU AND ANAMBRA STATES» ABSTRACT This study was conducted to assess reference and information services rendered to the undergraduate students in federal university libraries ...Continue Reading »
4. UTILIZATION OF DSPACE OPEN SOURCE INSTITUTIONAL REPOSITORY SOFTWARE IN UNIVERSITY OF JOS, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT The study was on the utilization of DSpace open source institutional repository software in University of Jos, Nigeria. It was a survey resea...Continue Reading »
5. COMPARATIVE STUDY ON THE WAY OF GENERATING INCOME IN NIGERIAN LIBRARIES (A CASE STUDY OF UNIVERSITY OF UYO LIBRARY AND UYO E-LIBRARY)» ABSTRACT The study examines the issues and solutions of ethical hacking and cyber security in Nigerian telecommunication industry, the study has the f...Continue Reading »
6. AVAILABILITY AND UTILIZATION OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (ICT) FACILITIES IN COLLEGES OF EDUCATION LIBRARIES IN KANO STATE NIGERIA» ABSTRACT This study was designed to determine the availability and utilization of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) facilities in College...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This research work was designed to examine the utilization of library resources by lecturers in University of Agriculture, Makurdi. The speci...Continue Reading »
8. LIBRARY USER EDUCATION IN TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS IN NIGERIA: A CASE STUDY OF THE FEDERAL COLLEGE OF EDUCATION (TECHNICAL) UMUNZE» ABSTRACT The research focuses on user education in academic libraries, using the federal college of education (Technical) Umunze as its case study. Us...Continue Reading »
9. ESTABLISHMENT OF HYBRID LIBRARY SERVICES IN FEDERAL UNIVERSITIES OF THE NORTH-CENTRAL ZONE OF NIGERIA» ABSTRACT This study investigated the establishment of hybrid library services in federal university libraries of the North Central zone of Nigeria. It...Continue Reading »
10. AWARENESS, USE AND USERS’ SATISFACTION WITH LIBRARY E-RESOURCES BY UNDERGRADUATES OF NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, LAGOS STUDY CENTRE» ABSTRACT This study was carried out to ascertain awareness, use and users’ satisfaction of library electronic resources by undergraduates of Nat...Continue Reading »