Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 92 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Information literacy competency has become inevitable especially with the rapid growth of information resources and advancement in technology. The need for information literacy competence among medical students is essential for their continuous access, retrieval and effective use of information resources. Literature and discussion with Colleagues indicated that medical students encounter difficulty when using library resources which could be attributed to the lack of search or retrieval competencies for exploiting resources, thus making the level of use of resources low. Hence it becomes necessary to investigate the information literacy competence and use of information resources by medical students in two universities in Lagos State, Nigeria.
Survey research design was used for the study. The population consisted of 387 medical students in the 3rd year of study from the University of Lagos College of Medicine and Lagos State University College of Medicine. Sampling was enumerative as all 387 members of the population were included in the study. A structured questionnaire title “ Information Literacy Competence and Use of Information Resources (ILIRUQ) was used for data collection. The response rate was 90%. The questionnaire was pretested using the Cronbach’s Alpha method. The reliability coefficient for the respective scales that made up the questionnaire were: (0.97) types of information resources available, (0.94) for information resources use, (0.87) for extent of information literacy competency and (0.93) for the challenges faced by students. Data collected was analyzed using frequency distribution, mean, standard deviation; and Pearson Product Moment Correlation (PPMC).
Findings revealed that information literacy competence (r=600, p>.05) had a significant positive relationship on the use of information resources by medical students. Findings also revealed that newspaper/magazine (Mean=3.72) was the highest available resource, followed by maps (mean=3.71), medical records/cases (mean=3.71) and pamphlets (mean= 3.70). Information resources were mostly used for preparing for examination (mean= 3.61), getting information about patient diagnosis/intervention (mean= 3.60) knowing what has been done in the field of research in their subject areas (mean =3.45). In the aspect of information literacy competency, most of the respondents were found to be competent as they could identify search topic (mean=2.92), identify a lack of knowledge in a given subject area (mean=2.91) and identify different formats in which information is provided. The major challenges faced in acquiring information literacy competence is lack of well-equipped library where information literacy could be practiced and inadequate information and communication technologies infrastructure for teaching information literacy were identified.
The study concluded that the importance of information literacy competence to the use of information resources cannot be overemphasized and therefore recommended that medical students, should acquire information literacy competence to effectively use information resources for academic, personal development and for excellence in professional practice activities. However, it is recommended that medical students should continue to improve their information literacy competence by training and retraining. Likewise, institutions should put in place an assessment programme to further strengthen the information literacy competence of students with the view to further improve their use of information resources.
Keywords: Information literacy competence, Information resources, use of information, Library, medical student
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR LIBRARY INFORMATION SCIENCE FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background of the study Library resources are very important in the libraries and also in the college libraries. It plays a v...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION Background to the Study Libraries are the knowledge and information foundation of any nation. A library collects, organizes a...Continue Reading »
3. AWARENESS, USE AND USERS’ SATISFACTION WITH LIBRARY E-RESOURCES BY UNDERGRADUATES OF NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, LAGOS STUDY CENTRE» ABSTRACT This study was carried out to ascertain awareness, use and users’ satisfaction of library electronic resources by undergraduates of Nat...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study In the United States, there is what is referred to as the 'CNN Effect.' It refers to the role of ...Continue Reading »
5. INFORMATION LITERACY SKILLS, COMPUTER SELF-EFFICACY AND E-RESOURCES USE BY POSTGRADUATE STUDENTS IN PRIVATE UNIVERSITY LIBRARIESIN SOUTH-WEST, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT The introduction of new technologies has had a significant influence on teaching, learning and research activities in universities. This has ...Continue Reading »
6. LIBRARY INFRASTRUCTURE, ORGANIZATIONAL CULTURE AND MENTORING AS PREDICTORS OF TURNOVER INTENTIONS OF ACADEMIC LIBRARIANS IN SOUTH-SOUTH AND SOUTH-EAS...» ABSTRACT Library infrastructure contributes to the development of the University libraries and librarians. Organizational culture and mentoring engend...Continue Reading »
7. THE PROBLEMS AND PROSPECT OF REFERENCE SERVICES IN ACADEMIC LIBRARIES IN ANAMBRA STATE. A CASE STUDY OF ANAMBRA STATE UNIVERSITY, ULI.» ABSTRACT This project is aimed at examining the problems and prospects of reference services in academic librarians, using the Anambra State Universit...Continue Reading »
8. Utilization Of School Library Resources By Secondary School Students IN ONITSHA (A COMPARATIVE STUDY OF CHRIST THE KING COLLEGE AND DENNIS MEMORIAL GR...» ABSTRACT The research is concerned with the study of the utilization of school library resources by secondary school students of Christ the King Colle...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study set out to examine disaster control measures in academic libraries in Nasarawa State of Nigeria. It was guided by five research qu...Continue Reading »
10. EXTENT OF LIBRARY UTILIZATION BY STUDENTS OF VETERINARY MEDICINE IN FEDERAL UNIVERSITIES IN THE SOUTH-EAST NIGERIA» ABSTRACT This study investigated the extent of library utilization by students of veterinary medicine in two federal universities in south east geopol...Continue Reading »