The Complete Project Research Material is averagely 92 pages long and is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters. Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References Level : BTech/BSc/BA/HND/ND.
Get the complete project »
Information literacy competency has become inevitable especially with the rapid growth of information resources and advancement in technology. The need for information literacy competence among medical students is essential for their continuous access, retrieval and effective use of information resources. Literature and discussion with Colleagues indicated that medical students encounter difficulty when using library resources which could be attributed to the lack of search or retrieval competencies for exploiting resources, thus making the level of use of resources low. Hence it becomes necessary to investigate the information literacy competence and use of information resources by medical students in two universities in Lagos State, Nigeria.
Survey research design was used for the study. The population consisted of 387 medical students in the 3rd year of study from the University of Lagos College of Medicine and Lagos State University College of Medicine. Sampling was enumerative as all 387 members of the population were included in the study. A structured questionnaire title “ Information Literacy Competence and Use of Information Resources (ILIRUQ) was used for data collection. The response rate was 90%. The questionnaire was pretested using the Cronbach’s Alpha method. The reliability coefficient for the respective scales that made up the questionnaire were: (0.97) types of information resources available, (0.94) for information resources use, (0.87) for extent of information literacy competency and (0.93) for the challenges faced by students. Data collected was analyzed using frequency distribution, mean, standard deviation; and Pearson Product Moment Correlation (PPMC).
Findings revealed that information literacy competence (r=600, p>.05) had a significant positive relationship on the use of information resources by medical students. Findings also revealed that newspaper/magazine (Mean=3.72) was the highest available resource, followed by maps (mean=3.71), medical records/cases (mean=3.71) and pamphlets (mean= 3.70). Information resources were mostly used for preparing for examination (mean= 3.61), getting information about patient diagnosis/intervention (mean= 3.60) knowing what has been done in the field of research in their subject areas (mean =3.45). In the aspect of information literacy competency, most of the respondents were found to be competent as they could identify search topic (mean=2.92), identify a lack of knowledge in a given subject area (mean=2.91) and identify different formats in which information is provided. The major challenges faced in acquiring information literacy competence is lack of well-equipped library where information literacy could be practiced and inadequate information and communication technologies infrastructure for teaching information literacy were identified.
The study concluded that the importance of information literacy competence to the use of information resources cannot be overemphasized and therefore recommended that medical students, should acquire information literacy competence to effectively use information resources for academic, personal development and for excellence in professional practice activities. However, it is recommended that medical students should continue to improve their information literacy competence by training and retraining. Likewise, institutions should put in place an assessment programme to further strengthen the information literacy competence of students with the view to further improve their use of information resources.
Keywords: Information literacy competence, Information resources, use of information, Library, medical student
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR LIBRARY INFORMATION SCIENCE FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. THE CLASSIFICATION AND KNOWLEDGE DEVELOPMENT BY TECHNICAL LIBRARIANS IN ACADEMIC LIBRARIES IN ANAMBRA STATE.» ABSTRACT The major purpose of this work was to investigation classification and knowledge development by technical librarians in academic libraries in...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 0 hits | Source: LIBRARY INFORMATION SCIENCE
2. ASSESSMENT OF REFERENCE AND INFORMATION SERVICES TO UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS IN FEDERAL UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES IN ENUGU AND ANAMBRA STATES» ABSTRACT This study was conducted to assess reference and information services rendered to the undergraduate students in federal university libraries ...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 41 hits | Source: LIBRARY INFORMATION SCIENCE
» Abstract xi This study was designed to investigate marketing library services in academic libraries in Niger state, Nigeria. The study employed a desc...Continue Reading »
107 pages | 27 hits | Source: LIBRARY INFORMATION SCIENCE
4. ACCESSIBILITY, USE OF ELECTRONIC INFORMATION RESOURCES AND RESEARCH OUTPUT OF LIBRARIANS IN UNIVERSITIES IN EKITI, ONDO AND OSUN STATES, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT The accessibility of electronic information resources enhances librarians research output by providing various information needed for researc...Continue Reading »
113 pages | 82 hits | Source: LIBRARY INFORMATION SCIENCE
5. COMPARATIVE STUDY OF THE READING HABITS OF THEOLOGICAL AND MANAGEMENT STUDENTS OF ST. PAUL’S UNIVERSITY COLLEGE, AWKA.» ABSTRACT This study was designed to compare the reading habits of the Theology and Management students of St. Paul's University College Awka. The obje...Continue Reading »
103 pages | 74 hits | Source: LIBRARY INFORMATION SCIENCE
» ABSTRACT The main purpose of this study is to determine the training methods of librarians in ICT use in federal universities in the south east zone o...Continue Reading »
89 pages | 23 hits | Source: LIBRARY INFORMATION SCIENCE
» ...Continue Reading »
90 pages | 33 hits | Source: LIBRARY INFORMATION SCIENCE
8. INFORMATION NEEDS AND INFORMATION SEEKING BEHAVIOUR OF CHILDREN IN PUBLIC LIBRARIES (The Case Study Of Imo State Library Board, Owerri)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION IMPORTANCE OF INFORMATION The researcher would want to begin this work with a survey of the importance of information in dail...Continue Reading »
65 pages | 198 hits | Source: LIBRARY INFORMATION SCIENCE
9. INFLUENCE OF PATIENT RECORDS MANAGEMENT PRACTICES, DISEASE SURVEILLANCE AND NOTIFICATION SYSTEMS ON EPIDEMIC CONTROL IN OSUN STATE, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT An epidemic free environment enhances the health status of all citizens in the community. The passive disease surveillance and notification s...Continue Reading »
133 pages | 81 hits | Source: LIBRARY INFORMATION SCIENCE
10. AWARENESS, USE AND USERS’ SATISFACTION WITH LIBRARY E-RESOURCES BY UNDERGRADUATES OF NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, LAGOS STUDY CENTRE» ABSTRACT This study was carried out to ascertain awareness, use and users’ satisfaction of library electronic resources by undergraduates of Nat...Continue Reading »
93 pages | 79 hits | Source: LIBRARY INFORMATION SCIENCE