Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 43 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
This is a research on challenges of acquisition of materials and services to users in special libraries in Nigeria. A case study of Imo State House of Assembly. Questionnaires were used in getting the relevant information needed for the research. The responses from the questionnaires were analyzed to arrive at conclusion. The study revealed that library and information services provide reference and research support to the general assembly and its staff and legislatives information to the public. The research further studied the factors hindering the availability of information to the legislature. Recommendations were made based on the finding on ways and means of solving the challenges and to make a way on effectiveness of the challenges of acquisition of materials and services to users special libraries in Imo State house of assembly.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY OR OVERVIEW
The concept of information is variedly understood, defined, used, applied and managed by different authors, writers and scholars, but all titles towards the achievement of an aim, objective or goal. But for the purpose of this frame topic, it is geared to the legislature via the library.
Waiting in his introducing remarks oparaku (2011) professionally defines an ideas library therefore, is a collection or selection of books accompanied a machinery for their exploitation operated by people trained in the necessary techniques. He informed further that in modern times, a library must also be taken to include in its resources material other than books such as periodicals, illustrations, films, records, types etc. (AVM) in addition the library must indicate or provide methods of reaching resources of information which cannot be provided from any of the graphic or other recorded sources.
Relatedly, library of congress located just east of the United States capital, is one of the largest and most valuable research libraries in the word. It has more than 12 million books and pamphlets and millions of charts manuscripts, maps, musical compositions, engravings, lithographs and other items. The world book encyclopedia of value 12,1976 inform that the library owns the united states collection of incunabula (books printed before 1501) they represent the earliest product of printing press, which are invented about three thousand (3000) of them, known as the vollber collection, were brought in 1930 at a cost of $ 11/2million.
1.2 HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF IMO HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY
Imo State was on of the seven newly created states by the federal military government on February 3, 1976. The constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria, 1979, made provision for the establishment of a house of assembly in each state.
The constitution also provided that a state house of assembly shall consist of democratically elected members three times the total number of seats which of representatives in compliance such stipulations, the Imo State house of assembly consist of 90 elected numbers in the second republic.
In accordance with a proclamation by the federal military government the Imo State house of assembly as well as other state October 1999. Of the 90 pioneer members of the state house of assembly four resigned to take up other appointments in the executive arm of the state and the federal government while are died in active service thus creating five seats (house of assembly Imo State Nigeria brochure August 1980).
Contemporarily, if is understandably therefore that when the military shoots into the control of government, being a non-representative government, if takes away the soul of democracy the legislature.
Before 1985 and 1999, when the military, which is a dictatorship, kept a vice-like gripe an power in Nigeria, it scrapped the legislature in that period the legislative structure, tradition and practice atrophied and indeed were almost extinct from the fourth republic (Preface) cover 1999, if writers to assert to the return of democracy in 1999 was therefore a new beginning, a self rediscovery for the legislature in Nigeria.
The house is headed by the speaker on the legislative arm while by the clerk/permanent secretary.
1.3 STATEMENT OF CHALLENGE
As I have definition-ally established earlier on in the course of the development of this project, modern library set up, especially the “special Library in which the legislature is best with some challenge. Accordingly, Justifiably, these challenge range from poor budgetary government funding, poor accommodation, unqualified and at times in sufficient staff, poor motivation, administrative and corporate interference and intervention, inordinate ambition of the library attendant to get rich quick by not passing through them poor information network, lack of communication and office fools, lack of innovation and inventiveness or creativity, lack of expansion, obsolete and outdated library stock, lack of training and refraining and library rules and regulation are known inhibiting challenges for library and information services especially legislature of Imo State.
1.4 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The objectives of this study are listed as follows
1. To identify the challenges affecting acquisition in special library.
2. To find out the factors that are responsible for these challenges.
3. To examine the impacts of these challenges on the services of the library under study.
4. To suggest solutions to the challenges of acquisition in special library.
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
The following are the research questions:
1. What are the challenges affecting acquisition in special library?
2. What are the impacts of these challenges on the services of the special library?
3. What are the impacts of these challenges on the services of the special library?
4. How can the challenges of acquisition can be solved in special library?
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
There is need for humorous working relationship between the workers and legislatures (in the Legislature) as a veritable tool for a fair legislature the state in order to realize the dividends of democracy.
It is also significant that it will add to the existing literature on library and information services in the process of law making in Imo State in particular and Nigeria in general.
Finally, much has been said on process of law making or conditions in which bills are presented and approved off.
1.7 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The study emphasizes the legislature. The legislative process is widened and focuses all aspects of human endearours for purposes of simplicity and orderly presentation of the work in the study, the researcher will the whole legislature aim of government in Imo State, which is the cradle of law making process.
1.8 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
In every sphere of human activities, these are bound to be some constraints which fend to militate against the achievement of a predetermined objectives and goals. Accordingly, the researcher was faced with challenges of finance, in the course of writing this project. The time frame for the project was also a threatening one; it was too short, in view of the fact of final year preogramme.
The issue of transport fares, as you are highly aware or the present cost and standard of living in the country because of distance for a legislator disturbed the project, but in any way, God saw us through of thro and fro to legislature (House of Assembly).
1.9 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Book Acquisition: It is the process of obtaining materials to satisfy the need of the users. It is carried through purchases, gifts and exchange, it also building of collection in line with the objectives of the library.
Special library: These are libraries in the institution of higher learning which are devoted to academic institution. They support teaching, learning and research. They include universities, polytechnics and colleges of educations libraries.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR LIBRARY INFORMATION SCIENCE FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. BIBLIOMETRIC ANALYSIS OF POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH REPORTS IN LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCE IN NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES» ABSTRACT The research study is a Bibliometrics analysis of post graduate research report in Library and Information Science in Nigerian universities, ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study examines cattle trade and its place in the development of Maigatari economy in Jigawa state, Nigeria between 1960 2010.It is an im...Continue Reading »
3. A CRITICAL APPRAISAL OF THE APPLICATION OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY IN NIGERIAN INDUSTRIES(A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIAN BREWERIES)» ABSTRACT This research work is aimed at identifying the level and usage of Information Communication Technology in Nigerian industries. The sole aim o...Continue Reading »
4. AVAILABILITY AND UTILIZATION OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (ICT) FACILITIES IN COLLEGES OF EDUCATION LIBRARIES IN KANO STATE NIGERIA» ABSTRACT This study was designed to determine the availability and utilization of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) facilities in College...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This research work was designed to examine the utilization of library resources by lecturers in University of Agriculture, Makurdi. The speci...Continue Reading »
6. UTILIZATION OF LIBRARY-BASED WEBSITES FOR RESEARCH BY LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCE POSTGRADUATE STUDENTS IN SELECTED FEDERAL UNIVERSITIES IN SOUTH-...» ABSTRACT This study examined the utilization of library based websites for research by library and information science postgraduate students in select...Continue Reading »
7. UTILIZATION OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (ICT) IN USER SERVICES OF FEDERAL UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES IN SOUTH EAST NIGERIA» Abstract This study investigated the utilization of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in user services of federal university libraries in...Continue Reading »
8. ICT SKILLS, INFORMATION LITERACY AND USE OF ELECTRONIC INFORMATION RESOURCES BY STUDENTS OF NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY IN SOUTH-WEST, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT The use of Electronic Information Resources (EIRs) has become inevitable for higher education students in the digital age, given the volume o...Continue Reading »
9. JOB SATISFACTION AND PERFORMANCE OF LIBRARIANS IN FEDERAL UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES IN SOUTH EAST NIGERIA» ABSTRACT This study examined job satisfaction and performance of librarians in Federal University Libraries in South East Nigeria. The study was guide...Continue Reading »
10. STRATEGIES FOR GENERATING REVENUE FOR PUBLIC LIBRARIES IN NIGERIA( A CASE STUDY OF NATIONAL LIBRARY KADUNA)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the study Information and its effective and proper dissemination is a powerful force to reckon with in any ...Continue Reading »