Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦6,000
This study is an assessment of library and information services to users of academic libraries in Nasarawa state using descriptive survey method. The study was conducted to assess the library and information services rendered in academic libraries in Nasarawa state. Six research questions guided the study. A sample size of 430 registered users of the population of 4300 was used using proportional sampling method from the six academic libraries in six higher institutions in the state. Twelve librarians from the six librarians were randomly selected to seek their opinion on the assessment by the users. Questionnaire and observation checklist were used to collect data. Data collected were analyzed using mean x and percentages. The result of the study showed that most of the library and information services that help the users to obtain information are rendered by academic libraries in Nasarawa state. Majority of the users employ resources employed by the libraries but use textbooks mostly; not all the services rendered in the library are satisfied with loan, bindery, interlibrary loan, 3udio/visual, translation and interpreting services are poorly utilized, utilization of services is challenged by a number of problems such as incompetence’s of library s:aff1 insufficient time [opening and closing], poor library education, lack of computers and accessories, computers are not connected, lack of searching skills and that these problems can be overcome by provision of adequate materials, training of library staff, provision of ICT resources, increasing of opening hours, provision of internet services and orientation. Finally, the study made the following recommendations that all known library services should be offered audio/visual resources should be richly provided utilization and satisfaction should be the desire of the librarians, and enough seating space should be provided, delinquent readers and wrong shelving should be tackled.
Background of the Study:
The academic library is one of the many types of libraries charged with the responsibility of satisfying the instructive and research needs of the students and the faculty. It is an indispensable instrument for intellectual development which a user of a particular higher institution can go into at will unrestricted to help him or her to the whole field of knowledge. Academic library, according to Reitz(2004) is “a library that is an integral part of the College, University, or other institutions of post secondary education and administered to meet the information and research needs of its students, faculty and staff”. The academic library is fundamentally established to render services to the community in a disciplined and responsible manner and to teach the users how to use the library to enjoy the utilization of the services available.
Every academic library usually receives the mandate of its parent institution to carry out the functions which are reflective of their objectives which are guides by which it’s proper assessment can be carried out. Edoka (2000) has given the functions of the academic library as follow, to: provide information materials required for the academic programmed of the parent institution, provide research information resources in consonance with the needs of faculty and research students, provide information resources for recreation and for personal self-development of users, provide study accommodation in a useful variety of locations, provide protection and security for the materials, cooperate with other libraries at appropriate levels for improved information services, provide specialized information services to appropriate segments of the wider community.
The role of academic library is to support teaching, learning, and research by maintaining relevant materials and creating enabling environment for the users to achieve their respective aims of using it. It plays the role of information provider for the successful completion of the users’ courses. An academic library that does not carry out these functions faces the danger of criticism by the users, and even non-users of such library. The lecturers, the students, and the researchers are usually affected in their zeal to excel in whatever their academic desires are if the functions which dictate their role are not performed. This is because their success depends to a large extent on how well the library carries its functions..
For high performance by the users, the library is expected to stock proper information resources. And in order to qualify to be regarded as a store house of record of human experience which the academic community can depend upon for information, assorted information resources are provided. These include Yearbooks, Almanacs, Directories, Handbooks, Manuals, Dictionaries, Encyclopedias, Periodicals such as Newspapers, Magazines, and Journals, Films, Filmstrips, Slides, CDROMS, Photographs, Maps, Atlases, Gazettes, Gazetteers, Tapes and Cassettes, Projectors, Computers, Indexes, Abstracts, Bibliographies, Government documents etc.. These materials should be current and adequate in quantity and be consistently made available. The resources can be provided on site from remote storage locations through Information and Communication Technology (ICT).
It must be seen clearly, to support the programmes and the courses offered by the institution. This support must be visible in the hours the library maintains for its users. The longer the hours the better, to enable the students have ample opportunities to make use of the library resources after the hectic
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR LIBRARY INFORMATION SCIENCE FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. EFFECT OF DRAMA ON PUPILS’ INFORMATION ACQUISITION AND ATTITUDE TO SOCIAL ISSUES IN PRIMARY SCHOOLS IN NSUKKA URBAN IN NSUKKA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA» Abstract The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of drama method of teaching on pupils’ information acquisition on and attitude to s...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study investigated the extent of librarians’ motivation in public libraries in South east geopolitical zone of Nigeria, comprising...Continue Reading »
3. ESTABLISHMENT OF HYBRID LIBRARY SERVICES IN FEDERAL UNIVERSITIES OF THE NORTH-CENTRAL ZONE OF NIGERIA» ABSTRACT This study investigated the establishment of hybrid library services in federal university libraries of the North Central zone of Nigeria. It...Continue Reading »
4. APPLICATION OF MARKEDNESS ON JUKUN WORD ORDER. IMPLICATIONS ON THE JUKUN SECOND LANGUAGE LEARNER.» Chapter One INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Markedness theory holds that certain elements in the linguistic system have an interrelationship ...Continue Reading »
5. INFORMATION NEED AND INFORMATION SEEKING BEHAVIOUR OF CHILDREN IN PUBLIC LIBRARIES (A CASE STUDY OF IMO STATE LIBRARY BOARD OWERRI)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1. BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY IMPORTANCE OF INFORMATION The researcher would want to begin this work with a survey of the impo...Continue Reading »
6. BIBLIOMETRIC ANALYSIS OF POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH REPORTS IN LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCE IN NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES» ABSTRACT The research study is a Bibliometrics analysis of post graduate research report in Library and Information Science in Nigerian universities, ...Continue Reading »
7. UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS USE OF INTERNET RESOURCES FOR RESEARCH PROJECT IN UNIVERSITIES IN NORTH – CENTRAL NIGERIA» Abstract This study was carried out to examine undergraduate students’ use of Internet resources for research project in Universities in North C...Continue Reading »
8. RECORDS MANAGEMENT PRACTICES, COMPUTER LITERACY SKILLS AND JOB PERFORMANCE OF REGISTRY STAFF OF UNIVERSITIES IN OGUN STATE, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT Best records management practices and computer literacy skills promote job performance of university registry staff through the records they ...Continue Reading »
9. SOCIAL MEDIA USE AS A DETERMINANT OF KNOWLEDGE SHARING PRACTICES AND SERVICE DELIVERY BY LIBRARIANS IN TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS IN LAGOS STATE, NIGERIA» ABSTRACT The proliferation of information and communication technology has had a significant influence on knowledge sharing practices and service deli...Continue Reading »
10. LEADERSHIP STYLE, EMPLOYEE TRUST, INFORMATION CULTURE AND ORGANIZATIONAL PERFORMANCE OF STOCKBROKING FIRMS IN NIGERIA» ABSTRACT Stockbroking firms play a fundamental role in a country’s capital market system. The performance of stockbroking firms is generally perceiv...Continue Reading »