Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 57 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦6,000
United Nations Children Fund is an international Institution that deals with the promotion and protection of the rights of children in times of peace and during emergency situations. Restrictively, this thesis aimed at studying the activities of UNICEF in the promotion and protection of the Rights of the child in Nigeria. The sources of information relied upon are, relevant books, statutes, judicial authorities, articles in Journal publications, newspapers, magazines, and conference and internet materials. The justification for these theses is that, despite the long years of UNICEF’s presence in Nigeria, the situation of the Nigerian child is still very poor. In addition, of recent, many crises have subjected children in Nigeria to untold hardship and reduced them to objects of sympathy, especially, the ongoing Boko Haram crisis in the North-Eastern part of the country where children are involved in calamities along with adults, but painfully, children being vulnerable and defenceless are exposed to all manners of hardship and suffering. Thus, in view of this, the objective of this thesis is to identify the activates of UNICEF that will promote, protect the rights of the child as well as alleviate the suffering of children in Emergency situations in Nigeria. Thus the finding of this research among others is that due to the mandate of UNICEF as an inter-governmental agency, the Fund, although an agency dedicated solely to children, ironically has limited interaction with children and thus lacks practical experience in dealing with children. In view of this, the research was concluded by recommending among others that UNICEF should encourage Child Participation in all its programs as well as initiate programs that will increase direct interaction with children.
1.1 Background to the Study
It is generally known and accepted that children need special care and protection and are dependent upon the aid and assistance of adults, especially in the early years of their existence. In their early years, children depend on adults for their feeding, clothing, and indeed all other aspect of their existence.
Under International Human Rights Law, children are considered to be among the vulnerable group and therefore are disadvantaged and needs to be protected by the law. Thus there is no questioning the fact that children constitute the most vulnerable and powerless members of the society. However, the concept that children have specific rights deserving of enforcement and protection is a comparatively modern development. The popular assumption in times past was that most adults and parents in particular, had the best interests of the child at heart, there was thus no necessity to think in terms of children‘s right.
Recognition of children‘s rights grew out of the wider crusade for human rights, specifically those of women. Indeed, perceptions of the two groups were largely similar. In the 18th century, for example, both women and children were generally regarded as a form of property.
The United Nations Children‘s Fund (UNICEF) is a Specialised Agency of the United Nation, devoted to the health and welfare of children. UNICEF is headquartered in New York and works with children in over 158 countries. UNICEF originally began as a response to the right of children in the aftermath of World War II. Its mandate gradually broadened to include ongoing support for children in all parts of the world. Currently UNICEF is the leading advocate for children‘s rights, and works to overcome violence and discrimination against children.
Nigeria was one of the very first African countries where the United Nations Children‘s Fund (UNICEF) established a programme of cooperation. UNICEF‘s work for the survival, protection and development of Nigerian children has continued ever since. Today, UNICEF is still working in partnership with many stakeholders including children and families to achieve national and international goals instrumental in the fulfilment of children‘s right.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR LAW FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» ABSTRACT This dissertation seeks to examine the legal framework for the regulation of telecommunications in Nigeria and highlight the various emerging...Continue Reading »
2. A COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF THE ENFORCEMENT OF FOREIGN JUDGMENT IN NIGERIA AND UNITED KINGDOM: A CASE FOR CYBER JURISDICTION» CHAPTER ONE GENERAL INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY A wise saying has it that, no man is an island, hence human interaction becomes necessary...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The World Trade Organization (WTO) was established with the primary function of ensuring the smooth and free flow of trade and services. At t...Continue Reading »
4. AN EXAMINATION OF TAX ADMINISTRATION AND ENFORCEMENT MECHANISMS UNDER THE FEDERAL INLAND REVENUE SERVICE ACT, 2007» ABSTRACT From the inception of modern taxation in Nigeria in the first decade of the 20th century the problem of poor tax administration has been the ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT One of the issues that has continued to generate controversy among the bar, the bench and international and local human right activists is wh...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The topic “Critical Appraisal of Ta’azir Punishments under the Katsina State Shari’a Penal Code Law, 2001” is conside...Continue Reading »
» It has become a common practice in Nigeria for parties who intend to contract a statutory marriage to marry first under customary law before the solem...Continue Reading »
8. AN ANALYSIS OF THE LEGAL AND INSTITUTIONAL FRAMEWORK FOR THE REGULATION OF TRANSPORTATION OF PERSONS AND MERCHANDISE UNDER NIGERIAN MARITIME LAW» ABSTRACT Dispute or disagreements are unarguably and necessarily an inevitable part of human existence, flowing directly from communication, inter rea...Continue Reading »
9. CRITICAL REVIEW OF THE RIGHTS OF THE DISPLACED PERSONS IN THE COURSE OF NATURAL DISASTERS IN NIGERIA» ABSTRACT The overwhelming increase of Internally Displaced Persons in situation of natural disaster in Nigeria in recent years has become an issue of ...Continue Reading »
» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title Page i Declaration ii Certification iii Dedication iv Acknowledgements v Table of Contents vi Table of Cases ix Table of Statu...Continue Reading »